Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 08:28 AM

223 posts, read 278,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
The whole census argument is ridiculous; be real, if the census considered Maryland part of the northeast, you would have no problems with the Census. But because the census considers MD in the south, the census is flawed and outdated

I agree with you that Mid Atlantic is the best definition for MD. I've always said that, but its "technical" definition (right or wrong) historically and presently is Southern. So it's kind of funny when people ask for proof that it isn't southern. Have you been to South FL or even Atlanta nowadays? You'd be hard pressed to find traditional southern culture, yet they are clearly in the south. Southern doesn't always equate to grits and sweet tea. And the traditional, stereotypical southern culture is fading away everywhere as transplants and diverse cultures are moving to the south.

If MD was considered northeastern by the Census, would you still think it's flawed since it fits best as being described as mid Atlantic? If the census put MD in the NE, my guess is most people would be loving the Census and turning to it as the authoritative source to prove that MD is northern. But because it has always considered MD southern, it's considered flawed and outdated.
Yes, I would think it is flawed, because mid-atlantic does not equal northeastern. For your info, I am not the average city data poster. I might have 33 rep, but I have been around here for a while, looking around snooping through threads and stuff. So I think you can slow your horses buddy If you are trying to say this because of the video I posted up, I clearly said "but I still believe MD is mid-atlantic".

There really is not a technical, the census is again outdated and flawed. I would agree that if this was the early 1900s and before, Maryland would be southern. But when looking at its current state, it is not. Replying to the FL and atlanta thing, Of course they are in the south, but you have to remember, both states are dominated by southern culture. All of the southern states are dominated by southern culture. But unlike the southern states, Maryland is not, nor is Delaware. The officials there once tried updating the census to make Maryland more *officially*() a northern state. I feel Maryland should stay as a mid-atlantic state in my opinion.

I agree that most people here would love to use the census if it agreed with them, but I think its out-dated, so I dont use it to prove any points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 09:06 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffablecow View Post
Replying to the FL and atlanta thing, Of course they are in the south, but you have to remember, both states are dominated by southern culture. All of the southern states are dominated by southern culture.
Southern culture is definitely present in Florida; that's not in dispute. But I'm not so sure I'd say Florida is overall dominated by it. Certainly that's true in north Florida; it's less true in central Florida and most definitely in south Florida. Surely Florida is more Southern than Maryland though.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Southern culture is definitely present in Florida; that's not in dispute. But I'm not so sure I'd say Florida is overall dominated by it. Certainly that's true in north Florida; it's less true in central Florida and most definitely in south Florida. Surely Florida is more Southern than Maryland though.
I meant overall as a state, not specific by regions, but I understand what you mean.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:38 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
I meant overall as a state, not specific by regions, but I understand what you mean.
Overall I'm still not sure I'd say Florida is dominated by Southern culture.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Overall I'm still not sure I'd say Florida is dominated by Southern culture.
Meh, ill accept half and half.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:48 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,535 times
FWIW, this Yankee was offered grits with my breakfast at a Maryland restaurant years ago. Some of the nicest folks I've ever had the pleasure of talking to!

Old 04-09-2016, 06:01 AM

8,041 posts, read 10,634,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
All I was getting at is that in the South, grits are found on breakfast tables more often than oatmeal or cream of wheat.
I ate plenty of grits when I lived out in Montana. Not strictly a southern thing anymore.

I don't know why there is always this push by some people to call Maryland southern. Regardless of it's location, I was born and raised there, and there is nothing much in the culture that is "southern" in Maryland. Not in Northern Virginia either. That whole area is very D.C. influenced, and, as I can attest to, Marylanders are Yankees in the eyes of southern people.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I ate plenty of grits when I lived out in Montana. Not strictly a southern thing anymore.

I don't know why there is always this push by some people to call Maryland southern. Regardless of it's location, I was born and raised there, and there is nothing much in the culture that is "southern" in Maryland. Not in Northern Virginia either. That whole area is very D.C. influenced, and, as I can attest to, Marylanders are Yankees in the eyes of southern people.
Exactly, I consider Maryland the mid-atlantic. And even location wise, 2/3 of MD is north.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:43 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,055,674 times
Quote:
Exactly, I consider Maryland the mid-atlantic. And even location wise, 2/3 of MD is north.
Location-wise, all of MD is in the South. Of course there is not a perfect balance (a small sliver of PA is located in the southern half of the lower 48).

Old 04-09-2016, 08:46 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,055,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post

But at least the vast majority Marylanders don't consider theselves Yankees. The term refers to people in New England and NY for the most part, though a poster from Philly on CD calls himself a Yankee. I have family from the north, and they would not consider us to be northeastern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland