Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2016, 08:49 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffablecow View Post
I think becuz nevada is more arid and stuff, so it is more like the southeast, but the rest of the video made borderline sense, I still think MD is a mix.
Yeah, the map mostly made sense, but I don't understand why Nevada wouldn't be grouped with Utah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 04:23 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
as I can attest to, Marylanders are Yankees in the eyes of southern people.
Yes but when you go to the Deep South, they don't think that NC is in the South either.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:06 PM

223 posts, read 278,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Location-wise, all of MD is in the South. Of course there is not a perfect balance (a small sliver of PA is located in the southern half of the lower 48).
I'm too tired and lazy to upload an image right now, but I'll reply to this comment tommorow. I believe 2/3 of MD is north, but I'll recheck. Also be aware of which maps you use. Some maps consider Maryland to be between the top and bottom of Ohio, while the flatter ones consider it under.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the map mostly made sense, but I don't understand why Nevada wouldn't be grouped with Utah.
Forgot what I was saying before, I was confusing myself and being an idiot

Old 04-11-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
But at least the vast majority Marylanders don't consider theselves Yankees. The term refers to people in New England and NY for the most part, though a poster from Philly on CD calls himself a Yankee. I have family from the north, and they would not consider us to be northeastern.
My friends from NY consider DC and MD are the middle. But I'll agree that NY and above belongs Yankee nation, just like Atlanta does not have harsh winters. People in Boston don't consider Philadelphians their fellow Yankees.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Yes but when you go to the Deep South, they don't think that NC is in the South either.
True, although I don't get why. It still has the southern accent in new generations, and it has some good barbecue sauce

Old 04-12-2016, 11:23 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Depends on where in the Deep South; South Carolinians certainly consider NC the South. As far as the heart of the Deep South goes (AL, MS, LA), some don't (which is silly) but many do. States like VA and KY are more questionable to those folks.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Depends on where in the Deep South; South Carolinians certainly consider NC the South. As far as the heart of the Deep South goes (AL, MS, LA), some don't (which is silly) but many do. States like VA and KY are more questionable to those folks.
I see VA being an argument, since its its very north part is next to DC, which is not southern to any southerner at all, but KY? Have you seen how thick their accents are? Even in the new generations? Look at this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gdHpNv_5Tg

Old 04-12-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffablecow View Post
I'm too tired and lazy to upload an image right now, but I'll reply to this comment tommorow. I believe 2/3 of MD is north, but I'll recheck. Also be aware of which maps you use. Some maps consider Maryland to be between the top and bottom of Ohio, while the flatter ones consider it under.
The flat maps show the latitude in straight lines, which can be easier to comprehend. The curved maps are usually attempts to make the map more proportional; with that flat Mercator Projection places near or at the north and south poles (such as Greenland and Antarctica) can appear to be much larger than places in the tropics (such as India) than they actually are.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:26 PM

Sniffablecow,

This is the map that EddieOldSkool posted in an earlier thread. If you draw a completely horizontal line from the east coast to the middle of the country, the places at each end of the line will be at the same latitude. With the curved map, the place in the middle of the country would be north of the place on the east coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland