Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 04:00 PM

124 posts, read 202,796 times

Advertisements

This doesn't prove anything. Because she is black in PG county, chances are she is a transplant from somewhere in Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 01:27 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenial Hippy View Post
This doesn't prove anything. Because she is black in PG county, chances are she is a transplant from somewhere in Virginia.
And what on God's green Earth would make you think that?

Do you not know much about Prince George's?

Old 12-30-2016, 02:38 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenial Hippy View Post
No, chances are she's from anywhere. There's a better chance that she's a native than a transplant from any one particular state.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:21 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
I DON'T WANT MARYLAND TO BE SOUTHERN!!!!

I want Maryland to be more of a Northeastern state.

LOL, well then don't travel to St,Mary's county and the 7th district! (De by Goud!!!)

Old 12-31-2016, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 945 times
I grew up here.
All my North Carolina relative say I have a Yankee accent.
All my Philadelphia relatives say I have a southern accent.
MD was a slave state, one of four to remain in the union.
Lincoln sent Federal troops to Annapolis to prevent any secession vote.
Maryland's economy was largely agricultural with tobacco being the leading crop.
Maryland has many plantations. (Sotterley is one)

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sotterley_(Hollywood,_Maryland[/url])

The most definitive and final answer on this issue is "Who Cares!"

Old 01-03-2017, 04:36 PM

124 posts, read 202,796 times
How about this: southern and southeaster parts of the state (like Calvert, St Mary's, and Dorchester counties) are definitely southern-influenced-kind of like Kentucky is Scottish-influenced or New Mexico is Mexican-influenced- though I would stop short of calling it fully southern (100 years ago was probably different though), and western MD I imagine is a lot like West Virginia, very Appalachian. Baltimore, Frederick, and Annapolis, however, are definitely in the northeast.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:02 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DScruggs796151 View Post
I grew up here.
All my North Carolina relative say I have a Yankee accent.
All my Philadelphia relatives say I have a southern accent.
MD was a slave state, one of four to remain in the union.
Lincoln sent Federal troops to Annapolis to prevent any secession vote.
Maryland's economy was largely agricultural with tobacco being the leading crop.
Maryland has many plantations. (Sotterley is one)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sotter...wood,_Maryland)

The most definitive and final answer on this issue is "Who Cares!"
People say that about St. Louis too. People from way up north like MN, WI say St. Louis seems southern even though it is NOT in modern times except maybe some slight traces left but not much, and people from the deep south say states like MO, KY are yankee states.

I'm not sure if Maryland lawmakers would have called a constitutional convention to secede. Some historians don't think the votes would have been there. At the start of the civil war MD slave population was decreasing.

The feds tried a similar thing in Missouri and put the governor and state lawmakers on the run because the governor and lawmakers favored the south and were worried they would put Missouri in confederate hands. The on the run lawmakers passed a secession ordinance and the Confederacy admitted them but it's disputed if they have a quorum and who indeed was the lawful lawmakers of MO at the time since they installed a puppet government. However the constitutional convention had no authority to evict the Missouri lawmakers. Nowhere in Missouri law or the Missouri constitution does it state lawmakers can't leave the capital. The governor signs bills into law all over the state of Missouri at events. IMO the lawmakers were not evicted since they were elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland