Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 03:29 PM

789 posts, read 1,090,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Have you ever been to Pennsylvania? Southern?

The only people who refer to it as Pennsyltucky are James Carver and other................morons, let's say.
It's not southern, but central and southern PA certainly is a bit behind and backwards. And that's coming from an Eastern Shore perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 03:32 PM

45,114 posts, read 60,214,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
It's not southern, but central and southern PA certainly is a bit behind and backwards. And that's coming from an Eastern Shore perspective.
There's a difference between "Southern" and "rural". As you well know, being from the Shore.

The Eastern Shore is both, at least the Lower Shore is. Southern PA is the second.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:11 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,392,554 times
Hickville, PA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post

Old 08-19-2015, 08:15 AM

One of my cousins attended Salisbury State University downee oshun (LOL) during the 90's, she said the KKK had planned a march on campus, but it never manifested. She told me that southern MD racism is somewhat reminiscent of racism in the deepest parts of Mississippi.

Maryland Eastern Shore might as well be southern Alabama to an extant in the thinking and behavior of her residents.

quote=North Beach Person;40871344]There's a difference between "Southern" and "rural". As you well know, being from the Shore.

The Eastern Shore is both, at least the Lower Shore is. Southern PA is the second.[/quote]

Old 08-19-2015, 08:17 AM

I'm glad you stated this, because there is a difference between the 2 entities. Like there is a difference between "country vs. bama", "rich vs. wealthy" and etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
There's a difference between "Southern" and "rural". As you well know, being from the Shore.

The Eastern Shore is both, at least the Lower Shore is. Southern PA is the second.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:19 AM

6,957 posts, read 11,227,672 times
Most of PA is northern Appalachia. Southern culture and Appalachian culture are like two overlapping circles. They share alot in common, and it isn't always easy to figure out what separates one region from the other. In fact many people who live in Appalachia also self-ID as Southerners, although I am guessing this is rare in PA.

As for it being backwards, well that comes down to how you define progress. I just spent a week in the Commonwealth, east of I-95. I didn't notice a difference in culture, land use, dialect, or the people in general, from the sprawl of Fredericksburg all the way down to VA Beach. The only thing that did change was the % of land covered in swamps. Otherwise there were more New York Pizza stores than Southern cooking restaurants, as many New Jersey accents as Southern ones, and mile after mile, exit after exit of the same freakin' chain stores over and over and over again. Look kids, Best Buy, Panera Bread and Home Depot!

If you call that progress, you can keep it! I find much more value in traditional communities where people's roots stretch back generations, where nature provides the dominate backdrop to life, not man made spec buildings, and where communities are distinct from each other because the people have a reason for living there other than commute times, school districts, and housing prices.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:05 AM

"As for it being backwards, well that comes down to how you define progress..."

*Yes! I agree because people have varying definitions one what is progressive or not.

"If you call that progress, you can keep it! I find much more value in traditional communities where people's roots stretch back generations, where nature provides the dominate backdrop to life, not man made spec buildings, and where communities are distinct from each other because the people have a reason for living there other than commute times, school districts, and housing prices.[/quote]"

*Yo!!!! Traditional communities need to know how to be forward thinking in this regards. All that provincial way of thinking and behavior is antiquated!!! Traditional doesn't mean antiquated and backwards. You can still be traditional, holding values and morals that are dear to you and your community and still seek progressive and forward thinking policies, practices and ideas that can be beneficial. Tradition shouldn't be stagnant, it should seek to re-invent itself through past mistakes and mishaps...that is what I'm referring to! And making large, generational assumptions on people from New York/New Jersey Pizza shops and more Southern cooking restaurants, that booth can't co-exist is ludicrous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Most of PA is northern Appalachia. Southern culture and Appalachian culture are like two overlapping circles. They share alot in common, and it isn't always easy to figure out what separates one region from the other. In fact many people who live in Appalachia also self-ID as Southerners, although I am guessing this is rare in PA.

As for it being backwards, well that comes down to how you define progress. I just spent a week in the Commonwealth, east of I-95. I didn't notice a difference in culture, land use, dialect, or the people in general, from the sprawl of Fredericksburg all the way down to VA Beach. The only thing that did change was the % of land covered in swamps. Otherwise there were more New York Pizza stores than Southern cooking restaurants, as many New Jersey accents as Southern ones, and mile after mile, exit after exit of the same freakin' chain stores over and over and over again. Look kids, Best Buy, Panera Bread and Home Depot!

If you call that progress, you can keep it! I find much more value in traditional communities where people's roots stretch back generations, where nature provides the dominate backdrop to life, not man made spec buildings, and where communities are distinct from each other because the people have a reason for living there other than commute times, school districts, and housing prices.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:07 AM

I don't care if your roots go back to the beginning of recorded history....change is inevitable!

I'll take a New Jersey accent over a southern accent and dialect any day of the week!

Quote:

Old 08-19-2015, 09:10 AM

Best Buy, Panera Bread and Home Depot provide employment for people!!! Look!!! Ma and Pa Specialty Boutique of Unique Knicknacks isn't hiring right now and people need to work to feed their families.

Quote:

Old 08-19-2015, 09:13 AM

"Most of PA is northern Appalachia. Southern culture and Appalachian culture are like two overlapping circles."

**Just because you were born in a region that is not known for its intellectual prowess, doesn't mean you have to remain ignorant, misinformed, ill-informed and stupid. I don't care where you're from...backwoods Appalachia or backwoods Mississippi!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland