Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 09:20 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,269,567 times

Advertisements

Marylanders who look to the Northeast for identity are fine by me, but I have never seen such puerile insecurity combined with condescending rejection of the South, "But I don't waaaaannnna be Southern! They're stuuuuupid and groooosss!!!!"

Pathetic.

Maryland has a long history, a culture, and a lot of unique qualities, and most of that defines it as South in my opinion, but also as a border state with northeastern influences. Own your s-, it could be worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 11:47 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,821,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Marylanders who look to the Northeast for identity are fine by me, but I have never seen such puerile insecurity combined with condescending rejection of the South, "But I don't waaaaannnna be Southern! They're stuuuuupid and groooosss!!!!"

Pathetic.

Maryland has a long history, a culture, and a lot of unique qualities, and most of that defines it as South in my opinion, but also as a border state with northeastern influences. Own your s-, it could be worse.
This. I'm a native Marylander, and the state is historically Southern and still considered Southern by the U.S. government (Census). Those are facts regardless of where people "want" the state to be identified with or where "most people nowadays consider" the state to be. It obviously has some northeast characteristics given it's close proximity to PA and other northeastern states (NJ/NY). That doesn't automatically make it northeastern though, and just because MD is in the south doesn't mean you'll see a lot of deep south traits that you would see in say Alabama or Mississippi.

As someone mentioned earlier, you don't magically see dichotomous north/south culture shifts as soon as you step foot in the south or vice versa. Southern doesn't automatically equal rural/country/backwards/etc (there are many isolated places in the NE that are rural,etc.). The cultural shifts are gradual, and Maryland, being one of the northern-most Southern states, obviously has a lot of influences from both sides. This is what gives the state unique culture and qualities.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:47 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,393,720 times
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!! *Spitting out my coffee... That was funny because you know it's true.

"puerile insecurity??!"

"Own your s-, it could be worse."

True, but I personally don't "own" DUMB s- no matter where you're from!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Pathetic.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:55 PM

If you're relying on the U.S. government as all knowing on a particular subject, you've missed the point! Most people with any inkling of intelligence knows government stats (census or any other form of measurement) have been skewed, played and toyed with. There is much confusion because the state of Maryland is a psychologically and Geo-cultural confusing region with many variables to consider when you want to instantly label a people of a particular region.

By the amount of responses, this post is a prime example of the confusion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This. I'm a native Marylander, and the state is historically Southern and still considered Southern by the U.S. government (Census). Those are facts regardless of where people "want" the state to be identified with or where "most people nowadays consider" the state to be. It obviously has some northeast characteristics given it's close proximity to PA and other northeastern states (NJ/NY). That doesn't automatically make it northeastern though, and just because MD is in the south doesn't mean you'll see a lot of deep south traits that you would see in say Alabama or Mississippi.

As someone mentioned earlier, you don't magically see dichotomous north/south culture shifts as soon as you step foot in the south or vice versa. Southern doesn't automatically equal rural/country/backwards/etc (there are many isolated places in the NE that are rural,etc.). The cultural shifts are gradual, and Maryland, being one of the northern-most Southern states, obviously has a lot of influences from both sides. This is what gives the state unique culture and qualities.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
If you're relying on the U.S. government as all knowing on a particular subject, you've missed the point! Most people with any inkling of intelligence knows government stats (census or any other form of measurement) have been skewed, played and toyed with. There is much confusion because the state of Maryland is a psychologically and Geo-cultural confusing region with many variables to consider when you want to instantly label a people of a particular region.

By the amount of responses, this post is a prime example of the confusion...
As usual, your incoherent post makes absolutely no sense. Maryland is a transitional/ border state that has cultural influences from the north and the south. Any intelligent person knows that. What is psychologically or geo-politically confusing about that?

I don't "rely" on the government knowing about a particular subject, but the census is the official population reporting measure for the country. I was pointing out that MD is "officially" in the South if you go by the official U.S. Government definition. It was also a historically Southern state. There are thousands of different region definitions and agencies out there, and MD ranges from Southern to Mid Atlantic to Northeastern. Personally, I think Mid-Atlantic is the best term, but if you're using official definitions, the state is Southern.

As I mentioned in my previous post; part of what makes MD such a great state is its diversity based on influences from both regions. Why does it matter if it is technically a Southern state??

Old 08-20-2015, 08:41 AM

It makes absolute sense, you're just not paying attention! Now, you're confusing us, at first you say Maryland is southern and now you're saying it's a "transitional border state".

Will you make up your mind please??! LOL!

Quote:
As usual, your incoherent post makes absolutely no sense. Maryland is a transitional/ border state that has cultural influences from the north and the south. Any intelligent person knows that. What is psychologically or geo-politically confusing about that?

I don't "rely" on the government knowing about a particular subject, but the census is the official population reporting measure for the country. I was pointing out that MD is "officially" in the South if you go by the official U.S. Government definition. It was also a historically Southern state. There are thousands of different region definitions and agencies out there, and MD ranges from Southern to Mid Atlantic to Northeastern. Personally, I think Mid-Atlantic is the best term, but if you're using official definitions, the state is Southern.

As I mentioned in my previous post; part of what makes MD such a great state is its diversity based on influences from both regions. Why does it matter if it is technically a Southern state??

Old 08-20-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
It makes absolute sense, you're just not paying attention! Now, you're confusing us, at first you say Maryland is southern and now you're saying it's a "transitional border state".

Will you make up your mind please??! LOL!
I forgot, you need things to be broken down in simplistic terms to be able to understand. Maybe your incoherence and gibberish posts have rubbed off on me, so for that I apologize for not being more clear.

If a state "borders" a region, then it can be considered a "border state" or a "transitional state." That's different from designating it as Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, or Western. Hence, a state can be both Southern and a border/transitional state. So, I don't need to make up my mind

Does that work better for you smart guy? LOL!!! I can only simplify things so much.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:14 AM

No need to break anything down in simplistic terms! You're just not intelligent or fast enough to comprehend this topic at hand! My "incoherent and gibberish" is subjective, not definitive in your little minuscule of a brain that you've yet to fully operate to its full capacity. There are over 100+ billion neurons in the human brain, so how many are you using presently...2 or 3??!

Give me an effin' break with your pseudo-intellectual cesspool you backstroke in. Smh!

Quote:
I forgot, you need things to be broken down in simplistic terms to be able to understand. Maybe your incoherence and gibberish posts have rubbed off on me, so for that I apologize for not being more clear.

If a state "borders" a region, then it can be considered a "border state" or a "transitional state." That's different from designating it as Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, or Western. Hence, a state can be both Southern and a border/transitional state. So, I don't need to make up my mind

Does that work better for you smart guy? LOL!!! I can only simplify things so much.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
No need to break anything down in simplistic terms! You're just not intelligent or fast enough to comprehend this topic at hand! My "incoherent and gibberish" is subjective, not definitive in your little minuscule of a brain that you've yet to fully operate to its full capacity. There are over 100+ billion neurons in the human brain, so how many are you using presently...2 or 3??!

Give me an effin' break with your pseudo-intellectual cesspool you backstroke in. Smh!
Stop using my same comebacks bro. You already got exposed for having a small brain and limited intellectual capacity. That's why I had to explain things to you like a preschooler. Don't try to use those same criticisms on me.....come up with your own original jabs!

You know nothing about how many neurons there are in the brain, so don't try to look smart. You must have forgotten to take your meds today because your gibberish, babbling, and all-around ignorance is on a another level today. That's impressive because you're already goofball to begin with.

I'm going to sign off now, and not embarrass you anymore kid. I can't play around on the internet all day like you. I've got real work to do. Get back on your meds and start reading some books before you try to battle me again little man. Peace!

Old 08-20-2015, 06:28 PM

581 posts, read 965,694 times
I thought the OP was funny. The rest of this thread i'll ignore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland