Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 03:59 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,338 times

Advertisements

And it seems to just get gradually worse every few years.

Especially in the urbanized areas and suburbs between Baltimore and D.C. People will drive on your bumper here even when you are going well above the posted speed limit, especially on secondary roads. I've witnessed vehicles especially during rush hours almost hit pedestrians in the name of getting to their destination 10 seconds sooner. How did it ever get this bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 04:45 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,524,919 times
Okay I'll bite. What's with all the "asleep at the wheel" drivers around here? You know, the one's talking on the phone so when the light changes they are oblivious? Why do so many people feel the need to come to an almost complete stop when making a right turn? Why do people sit in the passing lane, on the highway doing the speed limit? Why do people merge onto the highway by slowing down, when the speed limit is 55mph or above - Yield does not mean stop! It means blending into traffic safely. If traffic is going 55 or 60 mph, those yielding at 30 are likely to cause an accident. I will be the first to admit, when I get behind the wheel, my goal is to get from point A to point B in the shortest amount of time, safely. I haven't had a ticket in over 10 years but, I keep up with the flow of traffic and remain alert. Too many people on the road appear to be either half asleep or more concerned with texting, talking on the phone or applying make up than driving. As for secondary roads, if you are creeping along at 30 mph and someone is tailgating, why not pull over and let them by? It could be an emergency.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:56 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,486,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Okay I'll bite. What's with all the "asleep at the wheel" drivers around here? You know, the one's talking on the phone so when the light changes they are oblivious? Why do so many people feel the need to come to an almost complete stop when making a right turn? Why do people sit in the passing lane, on the highway doing the speed limit? Why do people merge onto the highway by slowing down, when the speed limit is 55mph or above - Yield does not mean stop! It means blending into traffic safely. If traffic is going 55 or 60 mph, those yielding at 30 are likely to cause an accident. I will be the first to admit, when I get behind the wheel, my goal is to get from point A to point B in the shortest amount of time, safely. I haven't had a ticket in over 10 years but, I keep up with the flow of traffic and remain alert. Too many people on the road appear to be either half asleep or more concerned with texting, talking on the phone or applying make up than driving. As for secondary roads, if you are creeping along at 30 mph and someone is tailgating, why not pull over and let them by? It could be an emergency.
This to me is more accurate, esp. In the Baltimore/Towson area. Slowest and most distracted drivers ever.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:34 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,338 times
Quote:
I keep up with the flow of traffic and remain alert.
Let me just add, that if more drivers were alert many accidents could be avoided. I can usually gauge who is most likely to cut me off or pull some in and out dare devil stunt with pretty good accuracy based on their speed and interaction with other vehicles from the few glances I take out of my rear view mirror.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:57 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,576,552 times

Far from aggressive driving being an issue it is really the distracted driving described above that is the real issue.

Having been gone for 4 years i am really noticing this. I can usually tell from behind who is looking at their phone. - I suspect that its related to the brutal commutes that many folks have to endure and the desire to make it more bearable by distracting themselves as much as possible (ie by reading their phones) or maybe they just can't disconnect from their media

Old 08-26-2015, 07:23 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
It's distracted drivers, speed demons, left lane blockers, kids learning to drive, people on phones, cars that need repairs to be safe, unlicensed drivers, drunk drivers, and all other assorted kinds of drivers, all mixing together. The result is what you see today. It's not one identifiable thing. One major factor is the lack of police enforcement. They don't bother with people going 10+ mph over the limit. They don't do anything much about many of the others either.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:46 PM

417 posts, read 593,898 times
DC metro was rated as the most congested city in the country in terms of traffic. San Francisco and San Jose are second. People are severely sleep deprived which is the same as driving while intoxicated but who needs sleep!! Only everyone!!! I hate when people say I will sleep when I am dead. They think sleeping isn't cool or they are tough.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:05 AM

153 posts, read 319,099 times
Ok, I have to chime in too.

LIke many others here, I see soooo many distracted drivers AS well as distracted pedrestrians. When I see people crossing the street and I'm ready to go in the car, some are walking slow and reading their phones !
So it's not only the drivers that are distracted, it's the walkers ! (sorry to borrow the term from the Walking Dead). They have as much responsibility too to be alert outside.

What is so important that everyone has to be looking at their phone most of the time ?

Don't get me wrong, I like having a smartphone and the convenience. I was probably one of the first to get a cell phone when they first came out almost 30 years ago, but I hardly look at my phone unless I need to look at maps or make a call.

Now back to the rude drivers. I see signs all over the area where the state says it's against the law to use a handheld. What I don't see is police enforcing it. I can stand at a street corner and see upto 40% of drivers at times using the phone. I never see police ticketing. They should also make the laws much tougher. A hefty fine plus points to get the message across.

A car is a dangerous weapon and people don't realize that.

Another area where I never see any enforcement is the Bay Bridge where they say you must have your headlights on. I see upto half the cars without them on and no police action. Same with getting on route 404 from 50.

I remember several years ago I was crossing the street in the suburbs and a car comes barrelling around the corner where I was crossing and almost hit me. The driver didn't even flinch or make any effort to apologize. It was young girl sipping a mcdonalds soda and she didn't care. It's long overdue to make it a countrywide harsh law for distracted drivers.

To protect myself I bought a dashboard camera where I can record all that happens in front of me when I am driving. If someone cuts me off and I end up slamming into them, the camera will prove it wasn't my fault. These are very popular overseas because of the insurance frauds and crazy drivers.

Enough of my rant for now.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:41 AM

8 posts, read 19,295 times
Just keep up with the flow of traffic, and pay attention. It is really that simple. On the secondary roads, how is that so many slow drivers, can't notice the mile long string of cars behind them, and yet every car in front of them has disappeared? I agree, just pull over and let people pass you. Being stuck behind someone slow doesn't cost you 10s. It is more like 10min. When you are commuting every day for an hour plus each way to go 20 miles, it gets old.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:39 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,651,909 times
As one who was born overseas, learned to drive there, and drove an 18 wheeler around Europe for about 18 months in my twenties, and then came to the US in my early thirties, my initial reaction to US drivers was, they're pretty bad. Lot's of no signal lane changes, overtaking on inside lanes etc. and this was in the early 90's before mobile phones etc. In Europe you'd get honked off the road for that sort of activity. Europeans generally, Germans in particular, are much more disciplined drivers. It's a function of more crowded roads.
I see the problem as bad drivers who are also distracted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: