Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 05:44 PM

122 posts, read 379,684 times

Advertisements

please tell me why

Old 02-01-2008, 05:38 AM

240 posts, read 1,065,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezy View Post
please tell me why
It used to be a small town and not a place of overcrowdedness. I don't like it at all. The traffic is unbearable and its full of snots. But others have different opinions, this is just mine that I run into everyday.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:57 AM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Frederick County has a mix of urban, suburban and rural areas. Frederick city itself is historically well preserved and largely gentrified. The city and most of the major highway arteries are surronded with cookie-cutter burbs like you will find anywhere else in the Baltimore/D.C. metro area. The north and far western part of the county are still predominately rural and rather scenic.

Traffic is a problem, especially around Frederick city and I-270. As for the people, the county is overall about a 60-40 split between transplants and natives. In Frederick city and the I-270 corridor the transplants are predominate.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:08 PM

5 posts, read 21,332 times
I moved from Montgomery County to Wake Forest and wanted to move to NC for a very long time but husband didn't want to do it 14 years ago. I never liked Maryland because of the cost of living and how impersonal so many people treat you. Traffic and cost of living also didn't like.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:52 PM

915 posts, read 3,179,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. New Haven View Post
I moved from Montgomery County to Wake Forest and wanted to move to NC for a very long time but husband didn't want to do it 14 years ago. I never liked Maryland because of the cost of living and how impersonal so many people treat you. Traffic and cost of living also didn't like.
Funny you mentioned that. Really Raleigh, Charlotte area the cost of living is really comparable to Maryland except the housing. In fact some of the things in NC is more expensive that MD....

Old 02-02-2008, 06:30 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myselfdotcom View Post
Funny you mentioned that. Really Raleigh, Charlotte area the cost of living is really comparable to Maryland except the housing. In fact some of the things in NC is more expensive that MD....
Housing is a major component of cost of living and except for milk mostly everything is cheaper in the Triangle. Some parts are closer to Maryland and others are not close. The Triangle encompasses multiple counties some rural some not. However I know of very few who are not ecstatic about making the move. The people are most certainly more friendly in most areas. The operating word is probably civility

Old 02-02-2008, 05:57 PM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times
If you want more relaxed and laid back try Union County/Eastern not Western. Also moving to the Charlotte area would not be for reasons of it being cheaper. More house for the money that is it. Everything is the same even property taxes but electric is no where near $400/month which is what I paid in MD. Here the most expensive, and I have electric heat along with A/C, was $185. That adds up a lot right there.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:48 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
If you want more relaxed and laid back try Union County/Eastern not Western. Also moving to the Charlotte area would not be for reasons of it being cheaper. More house for the money that is it. Everything is the same even property taxes but electric is no where near $400/month which is what I paid in MD. Here the most expensive, and I have electric heat along with A/C, was $185. That adds up a lot right there.
Is the actual amount of taxes you are paying in Charlotte per sq ft the same? Or is the tax rate the same or higher? The rate could be the same but if the house is half the price.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 6,904 times
I was born and raised in Maryland and I hate it here I can't wait to move. Mom2boys37 has got it right when she talks about Maryland. My brother and I were raised on the eastern shore of maryland which is worse than the western shore if you can imagine that. My brother and I never fit in and still don't we were never able to understand marylanders. Infact I'm constantly asked by people so were are you from and when I say Maryland they look dumb founded. I know it's a sign I need to get out of this place. My brother did he moved to Boston he is much happier.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:19 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
For me, the traffic, workaholicism, cost of living, and continuous (dense) development in and around DC - which I really have grown an interest in - aren't the problem. It's not even the income that people make and them flaunting it off via clothing and cars. It's how they carry themselves personality-wise (particularly the exteriorly snobbish and unnecessarily rude individuals) and the "group-mentality" (race, religion, even neighborhood) that makes me want to move from Maryland. If only people could be rich and have luxury items w/o the purpose of trying to one-up each other, integrate with whoever they wanted to be friends/lovers/espoused with regardless of race or religion, and be nice and respectful (or at least give their privacy) to each other, Maryland wouldn't be that bad of a state.

And BTW, to all of you saying "Maryland was nicer in the 'Good ol' Days,'" it had more than its fair share of problems (the narrow-minded mentality of people in the rural parts of MD is an accurate, modern-day example of that). Ultimately, I would love to live my life in a laid back "live-and-let-live place," but for me, places like San Diego, Central Cali, Seattle/Pacific NW, Denver, and Hawaii are more of my cups of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland