Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 06:47 PM

8 posts, read 16,754 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am a prospective first-time homebuyer looking to buy my first home. I have lived in Manchester/Hampstead MD my entire life, but am looking to move to Catonsville, Ellicott City, or Columbia for work related reasons. I currently work in Cockeysville, but am planning on looking for jobs in the DC/Fort Meade area after getting a little more experience.

I am looking to buy a townhome in one of the above areas (I'm pretty sure I won't find anything in Ellicott City), though I wouldn't be opposed to a single family home. From what I've seen of Catonsville, most of the nicer areas are west of 695, which is primarily where I am looking.

I am having more trouble with the various areas of Columbia. I have seen several people say to avoid Oakland Mills, Wilde Lake, and Long Reach. Are there any areas that people might suggest? I am going to see some homes in the Owen Brown area soon.

My budget is something under $200k, though I'd prefer not to hit that limit. I am a single male and would appreciate any input you can provide!

Many thanks

Last edited by downeysyndrome; 09-02-2015 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 07:17 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeysyndrome View Post
From what I've seen of Catonsville, most of the nicer areas are west of 695, which is primarily where I am looking.

I am having more trouble with the various areas of Columbia. I have seen several people say to avoid Oakland Mills, Wilde Lake, and Long Reach. Are there any areas that people might suggest? I am going to see some homes in the Owen Brown area soon.

My budget is something under $200k, though I'd prefer not to hit that limit. I am a single male and would appreciate any input you can provide!
I used to live in the Harper's Choice part of Columbia. It was certainly safe, but the townhouses are aging and probably need updating. There are also TH's in your budget in Hickory Ridge and Hawthorne, and I think those neighborhoods are OK.

As for Catonsville, I'd be careful of anything costing less than $200K, as the house may need work. In addition, be aware that some Catonsville addresses are actually in the city, and the property taxes are much more. I'd also visit any Catonsville neighborhood in the evening and see if you feel comfortable. I am not saying they are unsafe, but you need to judge for yourself.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:46 PM

Thank you for your suggestions - I will keep an eye out in those neigborhoods! My criteria in Catonsville for being West of 695 takes care of the city issue - I wouldn't want to be inside city limits regardless. I've seen some nicer homes in Catonsville within my budget (I actually put a bid in on one, though I was outbid). The houses I've been going to see, I have been seeing around 6:00PM or later, and there have been a few where I judged I wouldn't be comfortable. It's difficult to judge when you're used to living in an area where some people don't even bother locking their cars.

Thank you so much for your input!

Old 09-02-2015, 08:27 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Many of the nicer townhome communities in Columbia and Ellicott City tend to go for $300,000, which as you've stated is above your budget. In Columbia, as a general rule, I wouldn't feel comfortable in most townhouse areas within walking distance of the village centers in Long Reach, Oakland Mills, Owen Brown, Wilde Lake, and Harper's Choice. Areas that might work for you include Clary's Forest and Sewell's Orchard.

There's also a stretch of townhouse communities along Old Stockbridge Road between MD 108 and Meadowridge Road; I'm not sure if it's considered Ellicott City, or Columbia, or possibly Elkridge, or maybe even Jessup. It's in an area where the fringes of these four communities come together. But one of those developments might work.

In general, Ellicott City is going to be tough to find what you're looking for. The only area I can think of, off the top of my head, that would have townhouses in your price range is along Plumtree Road between U.S. 40 and Frederick Road; but it's not the most desirable area. (It's not awful by any means, just not all that great.)

There have been a number of townhouse developments built on or near U.S. 1 through Elkridge and Jessup. I know that they're trying to revitalize that corridor, and it seems to be working, at least to an extent. But I, personally, still would not be comfortable living there. Maybe you would feel differently. In any case, those areas would probably be in your price range.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:10 AM

I have definitely seen the pricing that you've mentioned. I haven't seen too much in Clary's Forest or Sewell's orchard in my searching, but I will keep an eye out.

I will also look at the developments on Old Stockbridge, I assume by your suggestion that it is a decent area?

Is there any reason you might not feel comfortable in the developments on/near Route 1?

Thank you for your response!

Old 09-03-2015, 06:50 AM

Yes I would say that Old Stockbridge is a decent area. I have friends who used to live there and they liked it. And sometimes I have occasion to drive down Old Stockbridge Road, and it looks nice.

U.S. 1 is a lower-income area and has its share of bars and other such places that draw a rough-around-the-edges crowd. Like I said, it's getting better, and you may not find it to be problematic. But if you find something there that you like, I would visit it in the evening, just to see if the vibe is one that you would be comfortable with.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:11 AM

Thank you - I will definitely keep an eye out in Old Stockbridge. It doesn't look like anything is for sale around there under $200k at the moment (It is Ellicott City, by the way).

Based on your description of the US 1 area, I would definitely want to check out the area in the evening if I found something I might like. Thank you again!

Old 09-03-2015, 08:19 AM

382 posts, read 1,205,914 times
That budget is going to be tough. It may turn out that some of the older Columbia village center areas will be your best bet. I immediately thought of the Ducketts Ln area in Elkridge which has older and smaller townhomes, but even they seem to be over 200k. There's a community of older townhomes/quads across Cedar Ln from the hospital in Columbia that will probably fit your price range. Slolom Ln, Powder Rn, etc. It's sort of a low-rent area but you're not going to be able to be that choosy with your budget. Be sure and check the crime stats for the areas you're considering.

Quote:
In general, Ellicott City is going to be tough to find what you're looking for. The only area I can think of, off the top of my head, that would have townhouses in your price range is along Plumtree Road between U.S. 40 and Frederick Road; but it's not the most desirable area. (It's not awful by any means, just not all that great.)
Actually, the townhomes on Plum Tree are going for at least $300k. It may not look like much, but the Plum Tree area is very popular and safe. It's a highly Asian area with families moving in for the schools, and it's very convenient and walkable.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhart View Post
Actually, the townhomes on Plum Tree are going for at least $300k. It may not look like much, but the Plum Tree area is very popular and safe. It's a highly Asian area with families moving in for the schools, and it's very convenient and walkable.
I stand corrected. I've been inside a townhouse on Plumtree, and I cannot even begin to fathom paying $300,000 for it. But that's Ellicott City for you.

OP, if Old Stockbridge doesn't work out, I would reiterate trying for Sewell's Orchard or Clary's Forest. But darn, I just checked out some listings on a Clary's Forest street on which some friends live, and even there the townhouses are going for $300,000. Unbelievable!

Old 09-03-2015, 08:35 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I used to live in the Harper's Choice part of Columbia. It was certainly safe, but the townhouses are aging and probably need updating.
Correction, it was the Longfellow neighborhood around Hesperus. The townhouses had a diverse population but it was very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland