Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 07:12 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,105,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eav1221 View Post
My husband and I are considering a move from Annapolis to somewhere closer to Baltimore to be closer to his work and mine (he works in Fells Pt. and I work in Columbia). Either way, we're screwed because of the horrible traffic, everywhere, every hour, every day. I want a small town like those I grew up with in PA--Sharpsville, Greenville, New Wilmington, Greensburg, Latrobe, etc. These are all small-ish towns in PA that are close to larger metropolitan areas and traffic isn't bad to the point of wanting to drive your car off the Bay bridge because that's a better option than sitting in daily gridlock. I guess I have to move to PA but have a good job here and so does he. Is there ANYWHERE in Maryland that we could look that could be a hop, skip, and a jump to both of our jobs and give each of us 30 min or less of commuting? If not, we're considering leaving the state for greener pastures. Someday.

The only towns that I can think of that will keep you within a 30 minute commute of both jobs are Catonsville, Linthicum, and Elkridge. Catonsville is a great town that offers a lot; I don't know how anyone could not like it. Locating in the Linthicum or Elkridge areas would allow your husband to take the light rail or MARC into downtown Baltimore.

Sharpsville, Greenville, and New Wilmington, PA are close to larger metro areas? You must be kidding!! That whole area has been dead for at least three decades; I have relatives in the area.

Last edited by james777; 09-22-2015 at 07:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 07:17 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,105,848 times
Quote:
Trying to plan for kids. City schools aren't an option unfortunately. I do like Roland Park though but it's still city schools from my understanding? I have no problem with a 30 min. commute but just long for that small town, non-cookie cutter- strip-mall-infested- feel that many small towns in PA have. But our jobs are here and we're here and such is life. Ellicott City, unfortunately, does not have homes that a public educator, such as myself, can afford. I just hate traffic around here. There are so many entitled and enraged drivers that I see on a daily basis that it disgusts me...not to mention the daily gridlock on just about every major route I have to drive on: 100, 10, Rt. 2, etc. Hubs is the same: 695. Living out in Howard would be the same: rt 70 gridlock. Can't escape it. Rat race.

Search continues.

Yes, Roland Park and Mt Washington are both Baltimore City, therefore city schools. However, if you like the atmosphere of the area look slightly north of those communities, just across the county line and you should find something you like with county schools and less than a 30 minute commute. Don't look too far north of the city line or the prices will shock you.

Last edited by james777; 09-22-2015 at 07:30 PM..

Old 09-24-2015, 05:56 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
As was mentioned, there are some smaller towns but they are further than 30 minutes. And judging by the amount of complaining about traffic I'd guess keeping the commute reasonable sounds like a top priority.

That said...can't it take an hour sometimes just to get from Columbia to Baltimore? Which means to get a 30 minute commute to both you're pretty much forced to look near the midpoint, which of course is near I-95. You're not finding towns like the ones mentioned near I-95 between Baltimore and DC.

Maybe you'd find some areas that aren't as crazy as others, but that's about it. Catonsville is probably a good suggestion.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:07 AM

236 posts, read 251,470 times
Quote:
My husband and I are considering a move from Annapolis to somewhere closer to Baltimore to be closer to his work and mine (he works in Fells Pt. and I work in Columbia). Either way, we're screwed because of the horrible traffic, everywhere, every hour, every day. I want a small town like those I grew up with in PA--Sharpsville, Greenville, New Wilmington, Greensburg, Latrobe, etc. These are all small-ish towns in PA that are close to larger metropolitan areas and traffic isn't bad to the point of wanting to drive your car off the Bay bridge because that's a better option than sitting in daily gridlock. I guess I have to move to PA but have a good job here and so does he. Is there ANYWHERE in Maryland that we could look that could be a hop, skip, and a jump to both of our jobs and give each of us 30 min or less of commuting? If not, we're considering leaving the state for greener pastures. Someday.
Having lived in PA (eastern, western, central, and northeast) and MD (Baltimore County, Anne Arundel County) and worked in and around the Baltimore /DC metro area, I would say no, unfortunately. We certainly didn't find it, and are very happily back in PA.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:11 PM

39 posts, read 58,692 times
I saw an earlier point that mentioned Ellicott City. They offer a Marc Stop in town as well. Which should help with the commute a bit.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:18 AM

108 posts, read 184,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
It's all the way in EASTERN Harco. ^^^
True true, I usually say northeastern.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:40 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_mclellan View Post
I saw an earlier point that mentioned Ellicott City. They offer a Marc Stop in town as well. Which should help with the commute a bit.
There is no MARC station in Ellicott City. The closest ones are Halethorpe, St. Denis (if you can find it), and Dorsey. There is an express bus (Route 150) from Ellicott City into Baltimore, and also a commuter bus (Route 310) from nearby Columbia into Baltimore.

There IS a train station in Ellicott City, but no passenger trains stop there; it's a museum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland