Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 09:33 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
No, I've no connection to coal. That 84/85 strike was front page all day everyday. The US equivalent would be 700,000 miners on strike for a year.

I don't think you're being dishonest. I do think you're being a little unfair, but I understand other people feel as you do. I feel differently, and think your views are rooted in wishful thinking more than realism.

You might describe me as a raging liberal/progressive. I wouldn't. I'd describe myself as center/left. Liberal on social issues, conservative on economics. Don't have a lot of time for Libertarians, they're just naive.

I voted for Mizuer in the D Primary. Like several I know, I willing to concede that so far Governor Hogan has exceeded my expectations, and I firmly believe the D's need a good kick in the butt periodically. I can't abide ideological purists on the left or right. Politics is the art of the possible and compromise is an integral part of that, if you want to move the ball forward. Just look what the "Hell No" caucus has wrought on Capitol Hill.

Edit to add: Here's a good entertaining coal movie.
Brassed Off (1996) - IMDb
LOL, "wishful thinking" that we had a ex-Governor that actively worked against our interests? Ok.

Politics is the art of the possible, it is also a place where perception is reality. George W. Bush has degrees from two Ivy League schools, yet he is seen as "stupid." I doubt he is stupid, but in the political realm that is part of his legacy because of how others perceived his words and actions.

I may be unfair to MOM, but if so, it is in reaction to him being what I, and many others, perceive as being not just unfair, but down right insulting to us. What goes around comes around, and MOM is reaping the reward he deserves for 8 years of divisive government.........which turning the Governor's mansion over to the GOP for 4 years, and a Presidential campaign that is as flat as his winning personality.

But yes, you did answer the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 06:26 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Those new come heres are such a pain.
Not that there are many in Allegany Co., or after MOM, could be.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:56 AM

449 posts, read 495,380 times
Gov. O'Malley belongs in prison not in the White House.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:27 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,689,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
Gov. O'Malley belongs in prison not in the White House.
Huh?

Old 10-16-2015, 05:37 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,427 times
Probably won't win but not as low as Trump or Carson. Many Marylanders, even Democrats, were not a fan of O'Malley. I surely didn't vote for him a second time.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:16 PM

389 posts, read 427,159 times
I can't believe that Martin O'Malley is still in the race. His poll numbers are so darn low

Old 11-03-2015, 01:03 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
Here is a characterization that ought to get you guys going:

Quote:
Martin O’Malley is the ex-governor of a no-account state. Lop off Maryland’s Washington suburbs and you’re left with Appalachia in the west, the impoverished fishing villages of the Delmarva peninsula (Corsica without the sunshine) in the east and Baltimore, which is Baghdad on the Patapsco.
Source:
These Candidates Are Eating Our Brains - The Daily Beast

Old 11-03-2015, 01:29 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowery View Post
I can't believe that Martin O'Malley is still in the race. His poll numbers are so darn low
At least he is getting people to support him in polls, unlike the former candidate Lincoln Chafee who got "0" voters total in several polls (out of the typical 400-500 or so sample size).

Old 11-03-2015, 02:31 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Here is a characterization that ought to get you guys going:

Source:
These Candidates Are Eating Our Brains - The Daily Beast
Lol! For once the existence of Western Maryland is remembered AND endures the least insults heaped upon our state.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:26 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times
Interesting story about you family. Thanks for sharing. You need to consider writing a book or producing a documentary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Correct, although coal mining is generally a family thing and many miners, including some of my ancestors went down into the mines with their fathers, uncles, cousins, well before they were 18.

My great-grandfather wasn't a good fit for the mining business though, even the desk jobs. He started a radio store......during the Great Depression......which didn't work out. We still have the pictures though!

In the end, he found his niche in politics and by the end of his life was a trial magistrate in Frostburg. This was before the days of the statewide District Court system. He still caught a ton of crap from his MIL, the wife of the other dead g-g-grandfather, for being "lazy." He lived most of his adult life in the house paid for by the death benefit she received.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland