Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2015, 06:17 PM

3 posts, read 4,463 times

Advertisements

First-time homebuyer with elementary school-age kids. Looking to move in the next 6 months.

Of high importance: space (kids running around freely), safety, school (public OR private -- K-6), human decency, and relative quiet. Secondary: access to responsible nannies. Nice to have but not mandatory: affordability, diversity, walkability.

I'd be happy with a general description of each neighborhood/subdivision. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 04:51 PM

42 posts, read 56,607 times
I live in the Kenilworth neighborhood "K section" and think it could be a good option for what you're looking for. It has Kenilworth Elementary school conveniently located in the center of the neighborhood and is a nice school IMO. The K section also has lots of spacious backyards for your kids to run around in. But why stop in just the yard? This section is also safe enough that they can run up and down the street with no concern of their safety. There is no crime that I can detect around this area of Bowie so safety shouldn't be to much of a worry. In terms of human decency, I'd rate it at an 8/10. There are a few people you'll meet who would rather keep to themselves (Though they wont hesitate to say hello once in awhile). The majority of my neighbors are kind and friendly where everyone knows each other on my street. Can't say much about relative quietness, though. Rt50 & 197 run just to the south of the neighborhood and there are a few major streets that cut through the neighborhood that leads to other parts of the city so traffic is definitely a factor.

Don't know your budget so can't talk about affordability. We do have some nice diversity with a decent mixture of white, black, Hispanic, Philippines and other races. Not much of a place if you're expecting to be able to walk to the grocery store or theater. Only walking i do is when I'm going to my friends house a few streets away.

All in all, this is a very nice neighborhood of Bowie and have fond memories of growing up here.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:14 PM

That's a very detailed description, thank you so very much!

Old 12-27-2015, 07:38 PM

42 posts, read 56,607 times
No problem. See you around!

Old 12-28-2015, 12:12 PM

712 posts, read 1,095,815 times
I live in the Whitehall section "W section" and my section is much like the Kenilworth section as described by warriorjoek, with a few differences. The W section is definitely quiet compared to the K section. While the W section is bordered by 197 to the west, it is further north of Rt 50 and 450 and thus, further away from most of the car traffic. The W section also has Whitehall elementary, a Blue Ribbon school, and Samuel Ogle, a good middle-school school. Bowie only has one high school, which is overcrowded, so private school will probably be a likely choice for high school if another high school isn't built by the time your kids are high school age.

As for walk-ability, Bowie really isn't a walkable city. It's more of a rural city than urban, which is what most residents like about it. There are great trails and parks around Bowie that are connected and much used by residents.

I would also recommend looking into the Heather Hills, Tulip Grove, and Meadowbrook sections as they also have great elementary schools and share pretty much the same vibe as Whitehall and Kenilworth.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:42 PM

631 posts, read 1,398,652 times
As the other posters have said you're better in the area north for 50. The schools are better and quieter with the exception of the Belair Town/Miilstream section and Princeton Square and Old Bowie. Also Race Track Road/Yorktown section is also quiet as well.

Once you pass 50 into "South Bowie" it gets a little busier and seedy.. Granted it's Bowie, but Pointer Ridge, the "E" section and "N" Section and "A" Section have had an uptick in crime. Bowie HS is a good school despite what Great Schools says, but it is overcorwded and has recently seen increases in fighting and such in recent years..

I do Probation and have clients all over Bowie, but I can honestly say WhoDat and Warrior are correct..Best of luck in your search...

Old 01-10-2016, 02:09 PM

A very heartfelt THANK YOU to both WhoDatInMD & EducatedBro82!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland