Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 07:45 PM

45,172 posts, read 60,292,696 times

Advertisements

[quote=Mos82;42585419]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaDesertGuy View Post

were said by whom?

In what you quoted I stated what you bolded at the top about length of term, why and what happened at the end.

The rest is the other guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 08:05 PM

21 posts, read 22,138 times
[quote=Mos82;42585419]
Quote:

were said by whom?
your mom

Old 01-10-2016, 08:12 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,219,561 times
Hey, if this is true, can we demand reparations? Incoming! in 4.......3.......2.......1.....

Old 01-10-2016, 08:34 PM

21 posts, read 22,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Hey, if this is true, can we demand reparations? Incoming! in 4.......3.......2.......1.....
do you have ancestors who were indentured servants?

Old 01-11-2016, 06:45 AM

5,109 posts, read 6,059,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
There's a book out not too long ago called "Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates" by Brian Kilmeade and Don Yager.
It discusses the 'Barbary Pirates' raiding for captives along the U.S. coast? I will have to check it out. Everything I've read has only discussed the taking of captives along the North African coast and hasn't suggested them transiting the Atlantic.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:04 AM

9,266 posts, read 14,849,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Many of the women sent to the American colonies as indentured servants by the British Courts due to being prostitutes.

To answer an earlier question:

An indentured servant owed the owner of the indenture a term of service, typically 7 years, in exchange for the payment of the passage.

Many were sent here by the Courts, typically habitual criminals, and were given the choice of hanging or exile to the Colonies.

At the end of the 7 years they were freemen and could take up a trade, many of which were learned during the indenture.
To clarify the issue of prostitution: White slavery was a term used to describe forcing white girls into prostitution by kidnapping. This goes on today here and in other countries as do many other forms of slavery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLXKe3-_T7w

As other posters have noted, the correct term to use for whites who came to the US via borrowed passage is "indentured servant". The majority came because of poverty and simple lack of opportunity in their own country.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:29 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,219,561 times
Quote:
do you have ancestors who were indentured servants?
No.....and chances are that maybe you didn't either? Regardless, that was then, this is now. If one wants to appease for the transgressions many suffered from all over the world through the centuries we would be a world filled with aging granite monuments and predominantly poor people milling about....say, like Russia?

While tragic, slavery is, was, and will be always "with us". Is it right? Absolutely NOT! No matter, I can opine for the crap my Grandfather went through from a certain Irish farmer and perhaps some of the abuse most 1st generation folks in America went through 100 years ago. But, what good will that do?

Shall we all fall on the sword for the Christians tortured in Rome a millennia or two ago? Shall we all sack any English nobility for the transgressions their peasants endured 800 years ago?

I would say that the world has moved, for the most part, far, far away from the horrors that were common and were later replaced with select parts of the world. Namely, parts of Africa, Russia, Asia......most are pushed into prostitution as it's one profession that has real staying power. People like to get laid and they are willing to pay for it.

So, maybe we should focus on THEM rather than what happened 1,000 years ago as there is NOTHING we can do about it.....kind of like the space shuttle Challenger. Should we put up more monuments or, get Morton Thiokal (sp?) back to work on those "O" Rings????

Tragic? Sure. But, history is riddled with tragedy after tragedy. And when it's more recent (200 years or less in the past) we "feel" it. But to focus on those while completely ignoring the millions persecuted in ways that completely evade comprehension is a bit self-serving albeit heartfelt? Disingenuous at best.

The point was that if we had white slaves, indentured or otherwise, we, like the African Americans should put it behind us and move forward. Learn from the mistakes, do not allow them to appear again but, what, reparations? Imagine if the hordes of eligible whites demanded same? Where's the outrage? Where's the concern? Crickets.....

Right up there with Barrack Obama's alligator tear infested news conference last week and subsequent silence on the Philly White cop shot by some whack job a few days ago......disingenuous at best?

Move forward. That's all anyone can do at this point....

Old 01-11-2016, 11:20 AM

6,966 posts, read 11,243,588 times
Check out the history of the Ottoman Empire. Circassian girls were being captured and traded into the 20th century. They were the preferred sex slaves of the time in that part of the world. Slavery knows no racial or religious bounds. This isn't really taught in America as far as I have ever learned, and I have a BA in history. The information is out there, you just have to research it yourself.

Not only do such actions in relatively recent times complicate the issue of how to present slavery as a crime perpetuated for thousands of years by all sorts of people to a country whose personal narrative of slavery is much more black and white, but most Americans wouldn't even be able to find these places on a map.........with labels............and help.

Last edited by westsideboy; 01-11-2016 at 11:36 AM..

Old 01-11-2016, 11:57 AM

789 posts, read 1,091,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Move forward. That's all anyone can do at this point....
I wont' disagree with your statement, but boy is it easy for you to say. There are people my age (20/30s) whose parents were denied the opportunity to purchase a house wherever they wanted. They were restricted to 'browntowns' in various locales. Ever heard of Redlining? Look it up. It only stopped recently. Their upbringing was directly influenced by the location that they were forced to grow up in. So to tell them to simply 'move on' is a pretty arrogant statement, considering we are barely even one generation removed from that crap. Give it time, and in the meantime, you should be actively trying to make it right, even if you didn't make it wrong.

You know why people no longer 'feel bad' or whatever for Irish immigrants? Yeah well plenty of people still try and carry that burden (including yourself it would appear...lol the irony is unbearable) It's also a lot easier to integrate into a racist society when you still look like everyone else.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:52 PM

712 posts, read 1,089,280 times
@westsideboy, Yes, unfortunately, you have to do your own research to discover information like this. I've been spending the past few months researching and reading books on the history of racism and slavery and I wish I was taught the things that I've learned recently. The education system definitely does a disservice to students by not teaching them history such as this. Slavery has been around at least since the start of recorded human history and one could assume much longer before then. In school we didn't learn about the Moors enslaving Europeans. We learned very little of slavery by the hands of the Ottoman and Mongolian empires. Personally I think there's been an agenda in this country to keep us dumb to this and other types of history since keeping us dumb keeps us divided, fighting, and distracted from the real issues that affects all of us. Most of us are living in financial slavery now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland