Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:38 PM

95 posts, read 466,447 times

Advertisements

Not looking for sympathy, but advice since I haven't had this yet happen and was wondering.

I'm 20 years old driving a minivan. I was on Route 50 Westbound and the speed limit was 55(I thought it was 65, the way people drive!).. I was clocked at 81 mph. So thats 26 mph over and I believe could translate to two points on my liscense. I have no tickets until now except this light by my house has these cameras... I got a ticket from that once.

I was not cited for reckless driving but just for going over the speed limit. Given a fine of $160.00. Should I just send the ticket money in and watch my insurance skyrocket or try to go to court and get it lessened? This is my first (and hopefully last) ticket. Are my facts correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 07:21 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,380,028 times
It doesn't seem like a big deal now, but it will haunt you if you ever get a job where driving is required. If you take it to court, the judge will probably change it to exceeding 65 in a 55 zone. Dress respectfully, say Sir or Maam, don't say "cops", say police officer. These are lifelong law career people you're facing. They take this very seriously. Show them that you're taking it seriously. And... slow down. There's nothing worth being in a hurry for anymore. Enjoy the show. Things go real bad real fast.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:36 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,909,043 times
Does Maryland still have that Prayer for Judgment plea? The one where you get a probation like time period and if your record stays clean, they wipe away this infraction. When we lived in MD, that was the thing to do when you got a ticket.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:46 PM

Im pretty sure I SHOULD have been charged with reckless driving; if I go to court perhaps the judge will give me and even WORSE penalty.. I guess I have to take a risk either way...

Old 02-06-2008, 07:54 PM

415 posts, read 1,960,622 times
ALWAYS go to court in Maryland. Most of the time, if it's your first offense (or first in a long time at least), the judge will give you PBJ (probation before judgement - don't get any tickets for a while and the one you have now just goes away), or they'll reduce / remove the points and just increase your fine, or they'll give you a PBJ with Driver Improvement Course option. The driver improvement is a 1 or 2 day deal where you listen to someone lecture about driver's ed stuff. The key is to watch what the court is trying to get people to do. You'll pick up pretty quick if they just want you to go up and say "Guilty / Guilty with Explanation", etc.
Also (it's rare, but it does happen), if your police officer doesn't show up, you can plead not guilty and the ticket just gets dropped (since there's nobody to testify against you). At any rate, rarely do you get a worse penalty for going to court. Most of the time they'll drop your points, as long as you're polite and articulate.
Keys:
Wear "Sunday Best" clothing (no t-shirts, sneakers, etc)
Always say "Yes sir / ma'am" or "No sir / ma'am"
ASK for a reduction of points if it looks like people aren't getting PBJ. The worst they'll do normally is say no.
Normally a "Sir / Ma'am, I realize what I was doing is wrong, and I have taken steps to ensure I obey the rules of the road" is all they want to hear.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:59 AM

770 posts, read 3,680,105 times
I would try writing to the DA and explaining your situation. Tell him that you didn't realize it, you don't have prior convictions. You may be able to plea bargain down without a lawyer and without going to court. Make it sound good, like you can not afford for your insurance to go up, you are a young man trying to make it..something, whatever your situation is. My brother once got a speeding ticket, similiar to yours, he wrote the DA talking about how he had a young child, is going to college and trying his best to better his life and that he just couldnt afford this ticket...best of luck/

Old 02-07-2008, 04:59 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,380,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahreed87 View Post
Im pretty sure I SHOULD have been charged with reckless driving; if I go to court perhaps the judge will give me and even WORSE penalty.. I guess I have to take a risk either way...
This judge will never increase the offense. Whatever you are charged with is as bad as it will get, unless you do something in court, like contempt or purgery. You're already committed to "court costs". Might as well try.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:22 PM

What are court costs? How much money must I bring if the fine is $160..?

I guess I will just to to court, and be really nervous. That cop made me nervous. I kind of naively and dumly thought I would never get a ticket. And BAM $160 plus it will jack up my insurance. Like y'all said, sunday best, yes sir yes mam, I know what I did was wrong.. yadda yadda.. and keep my speed to the limit.

so not looking forward to it. thanks for theresponses.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:35 PM

196 posts, read 795,767 times
In most places in Md, traffic court really isn't a big deal. You don't need a lawyer; just show up like everyone has said, and plead guilty with explanation, or whatever the guys in front of you are all saying. Be respectful, and most likely the judge will knock off the pts, and you're only left with the fine. Take a blank check, not cash.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:58 PM

915 posts, read 3,179,975 times
Ya be humble not cocky...plead guilty with explanation saying you are sorry and you didnt realized how fast you are going
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland