Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 08:41 PM

8 posts, read 7,336 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Need some advice. I am looking for an apartment to rent in a good area about 30 minutes from Baltimore. I just moved to the area and do not know where to look. I drive into Baltimore for work but do not want to live there. Co-workers have mentioned Crofton, Odenton, Gambrills, Severn, and Jessup as good areas. If you know other areas I am open to hearing about them.

Most importantly, I want to pay between $1200 to $1500 max for rent. The real issue is trying to figure out my budget. I have no idea what utilities will cost i.e. gas, electric, water, cable, internet, parking, etc. I also heard I have to pay a monthly fee for my dog (outrageous) but, I guess that is what I have to deal with.

Currently, staying with family and have no idea what the cost of living in the aforementioned areas. I am excited to move, but I really want to get a good idea on the cost of living, plan my budget, and find a good, safe, location before I make plans to move.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 09:07 PM

76 posts, read 147,577 times
Are you a single person with a dog? What type of apt. Do you need? 1 bed?

Old 02-20-2016, 03:44 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Can't help with utilities for an apartment, it's been a long time, but cable tv/internet runs maybe $150. As I learned here you can save $10/month by buying your own modem/router which is what I am in the process of doing.

Good luck and welcome to Maryland.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:29 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,808,103 times
bowie or that area is far away. mabie jessup or some apt in areas in b county are cheaper. welcome also.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:52 AM

222 posts, read 271,061 times
Honestly you could go in either direction of the city with your max budget of $1500. My average utility bill in a small one bed room apartment was probably around $60-80 a month in a newer efficient apartment. I can see the utility being closer to $100-120 in a older less efficient apartment. Cable/Internet will probably run you around $150 as stated above or less depending on options and so forth. I get by with just HD antenna/DSL with netflix and purchased my own Verizon DSL box so my monthly bill is only $55 from Verizon. The below areas are just outside of the city within a 15-20 min drive to the downtown area of the city.

Towson/Timonium- North of the City (might be closer to 20-25 min to downtown area)
Catonsville- Southwest of the city
Parkville/Overlea- North East of the city
Glen burnie- South of the city. Parts of these areas can be iffy as well but there are pocket areas that have relatively low crime
Essex/Dundalk- East of the city Parts of these areas can be iffy as well but there are pocket areas that have relatively low crime

Old 02-23-2016, 08:43 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
My choices would be Crofton or Columbia.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:33 PM

675 posts, read 723,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nofat View Post
Hi everyone,

Need some advice. I am looking for an apartment to rent in a good area about 30 minutes from Baltimore. I just moved to the area and do not know where to look. I drive into Baltimore for work but do not want to live there. Co-workers have mentioned Crofton, Odenton, Gambrills, Severn, and Jessup as good areas. If you know other areas I am open to hearing about them.

Most importantly, I want to pay between $1200 to $1500 max for rent. The real issue is trying to figure out my budget. I have no idea what utilities will cost i.e. gas, electric, water, cable, internet, parking, etc. I also heard I have to pay a monthly fee for my dog (outrageous) but, I guess that is what I have to deal with.

Currently, staying with family and have no idea what the cost of living in the aforementioned areas. I am excited to move, but I really want to get a good idea on the cost of living, plan my budget, and find a good, safe, location before I make plans to move.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Try Catonsville, Arbutus, Maiden Choice or Halethorpe They are all close to Baltimore but have lower crime.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:09 PM

7 posts, read 8,277 times
dont rent in long reach of columbia md just stay away from the apartments here

Old 02-29-2016, 08:34 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,185 times
Hi, I am a new poster but thought I had to post to this. Cockeysville is the best location. by a mile for this. Also there is a small apartment community off of Pot Spring Road in Timounium which name escapes me. That may be the best.
I have grown up, and lived in Cockeysville since 1976. Avoid Rossbrook, but everything else is okay. Everything is easy to get to, and very easy to get to the city from here.
You can take the light rail from the Timonium Fairgrounds Stop right into the city. Get off at Mount Royal, catch the Penn Train to Penn Station, get on Amtrak, and ride all the way to Canada if you want. And all of this can be done without a car. No other place you can do this.
You would need at least a cab from the Pot Spring Apts. I will find out the name. I don't own a car but drive one occasionally. I have owned a vehicle in the past and only drove by this place a zillion times, just can't think of the name. It's in a great area.
Columbia? Are some of you nuts? In no way would I go there. I completely agree with Saiitama.
A friend of my Father had her home broken into, robbed and they slit her throat in Columbia. It was about 28 years ago but still.....AVOID!

Old 02-29-2016, 08:46 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debold4215 View Post
Try Catonsville, Arbutus, Maiden Choice or Halethorpe They are all close to Baltimore but have lower crime.
At the budget quoted by the OP these places would rate in the meh, to awful category.

You want to be north, or west of the city. Man, some awful suggestions in this thread.
Also, Hamden? Why not. I wish I had listened to my Uncle and bought a house down there 25 years ago. Elsa Terrace, 40th Street, certain parts off of Roland Ave (I could not afford Roland Park even then).
Being a spoiled Cockeysville kid I just didn't get it.
My Great grandfather had the Texaco on Falls Rd in Hamden from 1939 until 1975. My Grandfather, and my Grandparents on my Mother's side all lived down there.
Anyway best of luck to the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland