Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2016, 11:12 AM

223 posts, read 278,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
This is sort of what I mean. In SoMD at least, anyone who drops their r's is in their 50's or above. They have a clear southern accent, but it's like the Tidewater accent and not 'drawly' or 'twangy'. A lot of older people from PG and DC talk this way too. My neighbors in Huntingtown, MD have Tidewater accents and moved here from PG inside the Beltway where they lived most of their lives. They're 80 or so now.

However, many young people, that is people in their 20's or early 30's, have what sounds like a more twangy, drawly Southern accent than older people have. It's not deep south, but it's leaning more towards your stereotypical southern accent than the softer coastal varieties. Then there's some like myself in this age group who are in-between, not dropping r's consistently, yet having a clear southern shift in vowels, while not being particularly drawly either. I say "rahd" for ride, and "bowl" for "boil", but cat is just "cat" not "cayit". Maryland is "Maruhlin(d)" while older people from Calvert say "meh-uh-lin"

As for those under 20, I have no idea. I don't really interact with local kids much recently.
I agree about what you said for those in the 80s, they sound a bit southern.

As for people in younger generations, I would not say so much. I do not meet a lot of people in their 20s or 30s who sound southern here. I also live in PG county, just letting you know.

Look at this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWLyJth-yJ0

He says he was born in DC, but raised in silver spring. He seems like he is in his twenties or thirties. He does not sound very southern to me... Did you used to live in a rural part of PG?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 11:19 AM

223 posts, read 278,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
This is sort of what I mean. In SoMD at least, anyone who drops their r's is in their 50's or above. They have a clear southern accent, but it's like the Tidewater accent and not 'drawly' or 'twangy'. A lot of older people from PG and DC talk this way too. My neighbors in Huntingtown, MD have Tidewater accents and moved here from PG inside the Beltway where they lived most of their lives. They're 80 or so now.

However, many young people, that is people in their 20's or early 30's, have what sounds like a more twangy, drawly Southern accent than older people have. It's not deep south, but it's leaning more towards your stereotypical southern accent than the softer coastal varieties. Then there's some like myself in this age group who are in-between, not dropping r's consistently, yet having a clear southern shift in vowels, while not being particularly drawly either. I say "rahd" for ride, and "bowl" for "boil", but cat is just "cat" not "cayit". Maryland is "Maruhlin(d)" while older people from Calvert say "meh-uh-lin"

As for those under 20, I have no idea. I don't really interact with local kids much recently.
And as for people under 20, you might as well go to seattle. As someone under 20 myself, we do not have southern accents here.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:39 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
Over 100+ comments/postings.

You know ya'll LUB my controversial topics....

You call call me the Howard Stern of City-Data.com Lol!

Old 05-17-2016, 07:47 PM

581 posts, read 968,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffablecow View Post
I agree about what you said for those in the 80s, they sound a bit southern.

As for people in younger generations, I would not say so much. I do not meet a lot of people in their 20s or 30s who sound southern here. I also live in PG county, just letting you know.

Look at this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWLyJth-yJ0

He says he was born in DC, but raised in silver spring. He seems like he is in his twenties or thirties. He does not sound very southern to me... Did you used to live in a rural part of PG?
Perhaps I wasn't clear. I meant this is the case in the three counties of Southern MD. Not PG, except Aquasco or maybe Brandywine. I live/work inside the beltway right now and I seldom hear southern accents, inland varieties of Southern are definitely NOT spreading in PG county.
When I say 'here' I often mean Southern Maryland out of habit. I've only lived in PG for a year now and i'm quite frequently in SoMD where I go whenever I have time off.
In Charles and Calvert county, I hear southern accents from people in their 20's and 30's very frequently. Though once again, I have no idea to what extent kids retain the accent.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:02 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,054,832 times
I don't know why, but the police officers in much of Maryland tend to have more local accents. These PG county police have southern-sounding accents (some are slight, others might not be from the area).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5sAmB5qiYlI

The man at 21:30 had this accent that stood out to me. He has one of those Rock Newman accents, though he is younger. Even the woman at the beginning has a slight southern sound to her accent; hear the way she says "time" ("tahm").

Tez, does the man in this video have a Calvert County accent or is it too hard to tell?

Last edited by ialmostforgot; 05-19-2016 at 06:13 PM..

Old 05-20-2016, 05:37 AM

PG County is Bama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
I don't know why, but the police officers in much of Maryland tend to have more local accents. These PG county police have southern-sounding accents (some are slight, others might not be from the area).

The man at 21:30 had this accent that stood out to me. He has one of those Rock Newman accents, though he is younger. Even the woman at the beginning has a slight southern sound to her accent; hear the way she says "time" ("tahm").

Tez, does the man in this video have a Calvert County accent or is it too hard to tell?

Old 05-20-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:

Your dream to make Maryland New York has not come true.
It was never my dream to make Maryland into New York or anything place. My dream for Maryland is to be a place of progressiveness, while holding onto some of it's provincial charm (yes, I said some!). Maryland, aesthetically, is a beautiful state, but her policies, the people's nonchalant, crab-eating/beer guzzling consciousness gets old and tired.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
It was never my dream to make Maryland into New York or anything place. My dream for Maryland is to be a place of progressiveness, while holding onto some of it's provincial charm (yes, I said some!). Maryland, aesthetically, is a beautiful state, but her policies, the people's nonchalant, crab-eating/beer guzzling consciousness gets old and tired.
Well, the way you wanted (specifically) New Yorkers to move here...

Old 05-20-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hijgrvoS9ks
forgot the link

Old 05-20-2016, 05:26 PM

449 posts, read 494,899 times
I wish you fools would stop arguing about this. Maryland is a mid-atlantic state, it is neither southern nor northeastern. The Mason-Dixon line has lost its relevance, today the real border between North and South is the Potomac River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland