Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2016, 06:25 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
I wish you fools would stop arguing about this. Maryland is a mid-atlantic state, it is neither southern nor northeastern. The Mason-Dixon line has lost its relevance, today the real border between North and South is the Potomac River.
So Maryland is northern but not northeastern?

Could you explain how the Potomac River is the new boundary? Especially because Indian Head, MD is more southern than Reston, VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 11:18 PM

449 posts, read 495,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
So Maryland is northern but not northeastern?

Could you explain how the Potomac River is the new boundary? Especially because Indian Head, MD is more southern than Reston, VA.
Maryland is Mid-Atlantic plain and simple. You could say the north starts with NJ and up.

Doesn't matter what towns are more northern and southern in either MD or VA the totality of the states is what I am looking at. Winchester, VA is further north than most of Calvert county yet it is more culturally southern than places like Waldorf, La Plata, and other towns there. Look at the states as a whole.

Maryland is a liberal over-run Mid-Atlantic state. Yes, eastern shore is culturally different and so is western MD, the state altogether is neither northeastern nor southern just a Mid-Atlantic liberal state flooded by Democrats. So it is both culturally and politically different from most of the Southern states as well.

Quote:
Could you explain how the Potomac River is the new boundary?
Because Virginia is the first real southern state you hit as you go down I-95, and the natural border between MD and VA is the Potomac River thus it becomes the border where the South begins. Virginia unlike Maryland has retained its southern roots and culture for the most part, and even celebrates it. Maryland has transformed.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:00 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times
Maryland purists will fight to keep the state from being associated with anything Northeastern.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:57 PM

542 posts, read 1,499,252 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter what towns are more northern and southern in either MD or VA the totality of the states is what I am looking at. Winchester, VA is further north than most of Calvert county yet it is more culturally southern than places like Waldorf, La Plata, and other towns there. Look at the states as a whole.
You really can't look at the state of Maryland (or most other states for that matter) as a whole and determine what region it belongs in. That ignores the complex cultural differences in the various regions of the state. Winchester VA is about 70 or so miles west of DC in the northern reaches of the Shenandoah Valley. The DC sprawl hasn't extended that far out and it isn't a place full of transplants. The opposite is true for places like Waldorf or La Plata, where they are still in the eye of the ever increasing sprawl of the DC area.

Also, Winchester may seem more Southern, but the same can't really be said about Front Royal, which is about 20 or so miles to the south of Winchester, or Fredericksburg which is further down 95.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:05 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times
Quote:
You really can't look at the state of Maryland (or most other states for that matter) as a whole and determine what region it belongs in. That ignores the complex cultural differences in the various regions of the state.
*Interesting point! MD's "complex cultural differences" are quite interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
You really can't look at the state of Maryland (or most other states for that matter) as a whole and determine what region it belongs in. That ignores the complex cultural differences in the various regions of the state. Winchester VA is about 70 or so miles west of DC in the northern reaches of the Shenandoah Valley. The DC sprawl hasn't extended that far out and it isn't a place full of transplants. The opposite is true for places like Waldorf or La Plata, where they are still in the eye of the ever increasing sprawl of the DC area.

Also, Winchester may seem more Southern, but the same can't really be said about Front Royal, which is about 20 or so miles to the south of Winchester, or Fredericksburg which is further down 95.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:49 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,860,311 times
Quote:
Maryland is Mid-Atlantic plain and simple. You could say the north starts with NJ and up.

Maryland is a liberal over-run Mid-Atlantic state. Yes, eastern shore is culturally different and so is western MD, the state altogether is neither northeastern nor southern just a Mid-Atlantic liberal state flooded by Democrats. So it is both culturally and politically different from most of the Southern states as well.

Because Virginia is the first real southern state you hit as you go down I-95, and the natural border between MD and VA is the Potomac River thus it becomes the border where the South begins. Virginia unlike Maryland has retained its southern roots and culture for the most part, and even celebrates it. Maryland has transformed.
I disagree. Most of Maryland is Mid-Atlantic/Northeastern with only Southern Maryland being part of the South.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:20 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
I disagree. Most of Maryland is Mid-Atlantic/Northeastern with only Southern Maryland being part of the South.
How much firsthand experience do you have with Maryland? Just curious.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:00 AM

223 posts, read 278,355 times
Quote:

I think what ialmostforgot is saying is, mid-atlantic is still considered northeastern, but lowkey. I agree with you for the most part, but I would say it is a middle state, not mid-atlantic.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:06 AM

223 posts, read 278,355 times
To be honest guys, my idea is to have a region that only includes Maryland and Delaware. These states are CLEARLY too hard to categorize in one region. Whether you make it north or south, there will always be debaters that will prove it not true or at least not a good standard. Even if you call it the mid-atlantic, that will not be good enough, or not true, since mid-atlantic is actually a low-key region of the northeast. I was thinking of calling this region the middle east states of the US. If you live here, you can just call it the mid-east I guess. I understand that there is another mid-east, but it is not a big deal. I find the region I made descent, since both of these states are diverse.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:31 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffablecow View Post
I think what ialmostforgot is saying is, mid-atlantic is still considered northeastern, but lowkey. I agree with you for the most part, but I would say it is a middle state, not mid-atlantic.
Yes, in formal contexts except meteorology, Mid-Atlantic=NE. Washington post's PA to NC region is more aligned with what weather forecasters tend to say.

In an informal context, the Middle Atlantic is usually not the northeast, but Virginia, DC, Maryland and Delaware instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland