Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:31 AM

44 posts, read 53,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
Nothing is worse than Charlotte, outside of maybe Beirut. I think I could be convinced that Beirut was worse than Charlotte. That said, I wouldn't move to Baltimore. I'm moving to Bethesda pretty soon I think.
Are you talking about the crime in Charlotte? What part of Charlotte do you live in? I live in West Charlotte- it's okay. Charlotte is fun, but it's time for a change! I need to place with some water and good seafood restaurants!

I had a friend that lived in Montgomery County once- he loved it. He stayed in Gaithesburg, MD????

I heard Bethesda is pretty nice.

What can you tell me about Severn, MD? My cousin lives in Glenn-Burnie?
Do these cities have good employment opportunities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 12:43 PM

847 posts, read 3,343,742 times
I live in South Charlotte. I think I'm allergic to Southern culture. My daughter is literally allergic to the place -- it makes her break out in hives.

I don't know anything about Severn, MD, sorry. I think generally (and other users can probably be more specific) but employment opportunities are best closer to DC, and peter out as you get farther away from there. Baltimore's economy isn't quite as vibrant as DC's (DC + suburbs).

Old 02-14-2008, 12:46 PM

339 posts, read 1,515,175 times
Quote:
I think I'm allergic to Southern culture.

HAHAHA

Old 02-14-2008, 12:50 PM

74 posts, read 420,538 times
Quote:
I live in South Charlotte. I think I'm allergic to Southern culture. My daughter is literally allergic to the place -- it makes her break out in hives.

I don't know anything about Severn, MD, sorry. I think generally (and other users can probably be more specific) but employment opportunities are best closer to DC, and peter out as you get farther away from there. Baltimore's economy isn't quite as vibrant as DC's (DC + suburbs).
I'd generally agree with that. DC's employment market has the benefit of being served in large part by the federal government. Many jobs in the federal government are virtually recession-proof.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:

What is wrong with southerners, if you don't mind me asking????

Old 02-14-2008, 03:00 PM

770 posts, read 3,670,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
WOw that's a first, moving from North Carolina up to Maryland? Leaving the Sunbelt?

Things here are not as nice and laid-back as it is down south, and Baltimore is a very dreary city with lots of crime and decay.
Not a first, I moved from Charlotte to here! You do not have to live in Baltimore, I live down near Annapolis. Charlotte is full of crime, illegal immigrants and relocated yanks that can not drive...LOL(keep in mind I am a NYer of 22 yrs)Charlottonian of 1 yr, then off to maryland for the rest of my life. I absolutely love Maryland, soooo much to do and see!!!

Old 02-14-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcdiva85 View Post
What is wrong with southerners, if you don't mind me asking????
I find the Southern "politeness" to be rather impolite, and often downright creepy, and the "hospitality" completely absent. If you want to say something to me, I'd prefer you to just say it rather than plaster a big fake smile on your face and take 10 minutes to talk around whatever it is you want to say (not really you, obviously, I'm speaking in general) . And when I ask a question, I want an answer, rather than having to infer an answer from the fact you're now ducking me (my daughter's doctors have done this to me. "Can you give her these allergy shots?" "No, we don't know how." Simple, right? It took 6 months of this guy ducking me before I could bully the answer out of him.) From what I can tell, these are typical Southernisms, and they really rub me the wrong way.

As for Charlotte itself, I can really only speak about South Charlotte. Other parts of Charlotte have their own problems, as someone else mentioned. On the whole, the parts of Charlotte that aren't depressed and crime ridden are plastic and soulless. And not in the "people work too hard and are stressed out" kind of "soulless" that people complain about on the Maryland board. I mean Attack of the Pod-People kind of soulless.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:44 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,484,980 times
I lived in Baltimore and LOVED it. Of course there are some areas I'd avoid, but I really don't understand why people on the MD forum are so negative about it. I lived in Roland Park and thought it was great. Went to the E. Shore regularly, just gorgeous.

Now I live in NC and I'd move back to Balto. in a heartbeat. I've got to agree I'm not so hot on southern "culture" and I really can't stand how, for some reason, southerners think they are so polite...the rudest kids I've met are born and bred southerners--most of them call me by my first name! Being from the NE originally, I will say that where I grew up children were far more polite and respectful. While once upon a time it may be true that southerners were more polite, I do not find that to be the case now. Unless you count the fake smiles of course.

Anyway, I've lived tons of places and Balto. is one of my 2 favorites.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:50 PM

I actually like visiting Baltimore, and I'm sure there are ways to live there well, I just also know that I don't know what those ways are. I didn't mean to rag on B'more.

I did mean to rag on Charlotte. That was 100% intentional.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I actually like visiting Baltimore, and I'm sure there are ways to live there well, I just also know that I don't know what those ways are. I didn't mean to rag on B'more.

I did mean to rag on Charlotte. That was 100% intentional.
Well I'm glad you're going back to Maryland. The last thing WE ol' polite southerner people need is a dissatisfied "yankee" - which is one of the reasons why I wouldn't mind leaving Charlotte. It's too many people that is here that complain all the time ( they come from other cities) , and then it lowers the morale of the city. You're actually taking the time to go back to Maryland. Now do me a favor??? Drag about 100,000 yankees with you.

Wow, I was pretty blunt.....but you don't mind, that's your style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland