Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 04:38 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
Gas prices are not an issue for me maybe for you they are... The vehicle I want is also very fuel efficient. You really think someone who is going to buy a 50k car is going to complain about gas prices? LOL get a grip man.
I work with people driving 50-75k vehicles every day and when gas was $3+ a gallon they bitched a lot. Every vehicle built today is 'fuel efficent'. But using a vehicle designed for hauling large loads, pulling trailors,or going cross country, for a long distance commute on smooth roads with one or two paseangers makes little sense. But as long as you can afford it feel free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 11:00 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
If finding a job in NoVa won't be an issue....why haven’t you already applied for one and gotten it?
Why not do that? Get the job in NOVA – then move there.

I don’t know whether you’re young, naive, ignorant – or just a true believer in your politics

But if you’ve lived in the Metro DC/Baltimore area for any length of time you have to already know the commute will be crazy. And so your decision seems crazy. The vehicle you drive could cost 150K and it wouldn’t make you commute less insane.

You say the employer is flexible about what time you come in....8:30 or 9:30....So what – if with either option – you’re looking at an hour-and-a-half – if you want to make sure you’re on time. AND ...not an hour-and-a-half of open road interstate...or going through parkland or a relaxing jaunt. You’re talking about most of the trip being bumper to bumper or congestion each way.

But whatever…….. do what you want.

I likely agree with you politics, BTW. I just wouldn’t to that commute.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:30 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
2/3 of that commute is not going to be traffic free, but even if it was, the 1/3 that is will wear you down.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:37 PM

449 posts, read 495,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
If finding a job in NoVa won't be an issue....why haven’t you already applied for one and gotten it?

I don’t know whether you’re young, naive, ignorant – or just a true believer in your politics

But if you’ve lived in the Metro DC/Baltimore area for any length of time you have to already know the commute will be crazy. And so your decision seems crazy. The vehicle you drive could cost 150K and it wouldn’t make you commute less insane.

You say the employer is flexible about what time you come in....8:30 or 9:30....So what – if with either option – you’re looking at an hour-and-a-half – if you want to make sure you’re on time. AND ...not an hour-and-a-half of open road interstate...or going through parkland or a relaxing jaunt. You’re talking about most of the trip being bumper to bumper or congestion each way.

But whatever…….. do what you want.

I likely agree with you politics, BTW. I just wouldn’t to that commute.

Quote:
I did get offers in the DC/NoVA area and regrettably had to turn them down. In fact, even today I had a company in Bethesda (close to NoVa) reach out for a job and I am not even looking for a job anymore. For personal reasons I need to stay in Baltimore, Maryland area for like another 5 months, after that I am free. Yeah I know the commute is rough and crazy, I use to commute from Baltimore to College Park, and an occasional commute from Baltimore to Alexandria. I know what its like and experienced the drive. Quite frankly I'm accustomed to those kinds of driving conditions.

So the Alexandria > Glen Burnie commute would only be temporary for a few months before I get a job in NoVa.

Quote:
Good point but I won't be taking 95 or 295. The plan is from Alexandria take 495 North > 50 East > 3 North > and get on 97 North shortly, and arrive at work and vice versa. So 2/3 of the trip is not congested traffic, only the 495 north part is.

As I mentioned I get to set my time, time is flexible, I can also telecommute meaning stay home and work some days.

Quote:
The vehicle you drive could cost 150K and it wouldn’t make you commute less insane.
Right, but it would make it more comfortable. Comfort is the key in life.

It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make, need to get my second amendment rights back. The liberals in Maryland are going crazy with the anti-gun legislation and all the other liberal laws they want to pass.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
2/3 of that commute is not going to be traffic free, but even if it was, the 1/3 that is will wear you down.
Not traffic free, but 2/3 won't be rough, but light-to-moderate traffic (generally speaking) on 50 East > 3 North > and 97 North. Compared to 495 they are a cakewalk.

Like I said this commute would be temporary for a few months. It sucks but I will just deal with it. I also have telecommute option some days.

Last edited by MDude25; 05-19-2016 at 04:01 PM..

Old 05-19-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
Not traffic free, but 2/3 won't be rough, but light-to-moderate traffic (generally speaking) on 50 East > 3 North > and 97 North. Compared to 495 they are a cakewalk.

Like I said this commute would be temporary for a few months. It sucks but I will just deal with it. I also have telecommute option some days.
I don't remember you saying it was temporary, but if it is just 5 months, I would do either:

1. Just put up with the insane commute for 5 months, or
2. Delay moving for 5 or 6 months.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:24 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
Maybe you should check out the gun laws in PA and the commuting time and distance from there. I am working with a bunch of guys from PA this week and next, and all they talk about is what guns they own and what guns they want to buy. If I lived in a different state I might be interested in joining the discussion. I know where you are coming from OP.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:59 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I don't remember you saying it was temporary, but if it is just 5 months, I would do either:

1. Just put up with the insane commute for 5 months, or
2. Delay moving for 5 or 6 months.
I would pick No. 2. Why would you want to uproot and move to Alexandria, when the job you get in NOVA could be someplace like Herndon, which would be a commute in and of itself? Why not just suffer through Maryland's politics for another 5 months and then, when you get the NOVA job, pick a place to live based on that?

Old 05-22-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I would pick No. 2. Why would you want to uproot and move to Alexandria, when the job you get in NOVA could be someplace like Herndon, which would be a commute in and of itself? Why not just suffer through Maryland's politics for another 5 months and then, when you get the NOVA job, pick a place to live based on that?
Well I'm hear for another few months, then move. Since I've started the new job I don't want to quit after I move so I will live within commutable distance. I do understand what you mean what if the job is in Herndon, well so be it. There are many jobs and companies in Arlington I was looking at.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:51 AM

Something else I just noticed. It would be a hassle to get your handle changed to VAdude25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland