Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 09:29 AM

139 posts, read 616,898 times

Advertisements

I think I am one of those with a biased opinion. I just relocated here a few wks ago from NY and I am in culture shock. I feel the pace is way to slow and I am staying in Baltimore county. I did not realize it was going to be like this. All I see are people at the mall...and eating out. I am not finding much to do down here other than the inner harbor. I consider most of Maryland southern, although Baltimore city and DC have a different vibe. Guess I just miss NY and I am probably not looking in the right places for things to do. The traffic does remind me of NY, just without the vibe.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:06 AM

8 posts, read 34,525 times
Maryland is definitely the south. Both in frame of mind and south of the Mason-Dixon line. Regarding yankees, they are everywhere. Look at Florida! Urban centers always skew the drift but I can guarantee that good ole southern boys and girls still call the hometown shots.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:41 AM

350 posts, read 1,643,407 times
I think it's funny that no one agrees on this question. Personally, I don't really consider MD North or South- I prefer to think of it as midatlantic- or a pretty good mix.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:40 PM

19 posts, read 71,731 times
Neither We're too awesome a state to be categorized.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:55 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,628,853 times
Are people still learning about the history of the US anymore? Maryland is Southern. I'm not talking about redneck, lets talk about church today y'all southern but in geography, doesn't that matter still? When I lived in Atlanta I had folks (some) tell me that their state was Southern and some say it was Northeast. I say okay y'all are NE, you guys belong in the northeast corner of the South.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:00 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,628,853 times
It's funny how some people will take Maryland from the Southeast and plug West Virginia into the Southern region. It's crazy. Oh and regarding Delaware they are Northern always have been Southerners can't take that from the NE (wrong thread, yeah I know).

Old 03-12-2008, 04:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,987 times
Default Hell yeah

[INDENT]I come from some real old maryland families. the beavers, balls, riggs, and poseys on my mom's side. they all lived in southern maryland and the DC area, and Manassas in Virginia. During the Civil War, my family were prominent coopers, and we shipped barrells down to the confederacy. Places like Mount Airy, and the EXTREME western portion of HOCO, like lisbon and the howard county portion of Mt Airy are pretty southern. when you get into Glenelg and Glenwood, its all rich ****ers. We got the accent. not that strong, but we aint yankees. Western Maryland, like washington county, are like west virginians, but I don't know if there southern. maybe just mountain folk. in the south, ya got the tobacco farms. and the east like dorchester and fishing creek are redneck as ****! It's really the central part of the state that gives maryland a bad rep. the people there commute to washington and baltimore, so its a real white collar place. Over all, I thnk maryland is southern. During the civil war, we went against lincoln, and would've seceded if the governor and lincoln hadn't forced us to stay in the union. We're south of the mason dixon line, and a lot of us got our accents. I don't really got one too much, but I say words like yall and aint, cus both my parents were from Bladensburg, which used to be a white, bluecollar town before the drugs and minorities. say what you think, Maryland is south, even more than texas and florida anyway, which are all hispanics that are completely out of touch with southern culture.

[/INDENT]

Old 03-12-2008, 06:36 PM

805 posts, read 2,154,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthompHOCO View Post
I come from some real old maryland families. the beavers, balls, riggs, and poseys on my mom's side. they all lived in southern maryland and the DC area, and Manassas in Virginia. During the Civil War, my family were prominent coopers, and we shipped barrells down to the confederacy. Places like Mount Airy, and the EXTREME western portion of HOCO, like lisbon and the howard county portion of Mt Airy are pretty southern. when you get into Glenelg and Glenwood, its all rich ****ers. We got the accent. not that strong, but we aint yankees. Western Maryland, like washington county, are like west virginians, but I don't know if there southern. maybe just mountain folk. in the south, ya got the tobacco farms. and the east like dorchester and fishing creek are redneck as ****! It's really the central part of the state that gives maryland a bad rep. the people there commute to washington and baltimore, so its a real white collar place. Over all, I thnk maryland is southern. During the civil war, we went against lincoln, and would've seceded if the governor and lincoln hadn't forced us to stay in the union. We're south of the mason dixon line, and a lot of us got our accents. I don't really got one too much, but I say words like yall and aint, cus both my parents were from Bladensburg, which used to be a white, bluecollar town before the drugs and minorities. say what you think, Maryland is south, even more than texas and florida anyway, which are all hispanics that are completely out of touch with southern culture.

oh no not those white collars. northern fla may be southern. i supposed white collar places can't be sou?thern

Old 03-14-2008, 04:47 PM

9 posts, read 21,854 times
The United States Federal Government puts Maryland in the South region. Maryland was a southern colony in the colonial days. The Mason Dixon line separates the North from the South (and yes that line is STILL there...it did not just vanish when the 20th century happened) and many in MD have a twang. Maryland is a tocabbo state.To me, that all says South. Just because a lot of people from New England moved there does not change georgraphy.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:19 AM

847 posts, read 3,347,969 times
I think this was meant as a cultural question rather than a geography question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland