Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 10:39 PM

227 posts, read 1,357,562 times

Advertisements

Ok so what is winter like in Maryland. Do you get a lot of snow or almost nothing??? I hear about snowboarding in maryland/west virginia but i laughed at it...does it really exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 06:09 AM

350 posts, read 1,646,465 times
Of course it exists! The amount of snow we get tends to vary though- some years we'll only get a few inches, but there have been some years we'll get a blizzard with several feet!

Old 09-19-2007, 06:55 AM

131 posts, read 693,700 times
In the eastern part of the state, we're more prone to getting a nasty mix of snow and freezing rain than a lot of snow, although we do get dumped on on occasion.

The Wisp Ski Resort is located in Western Maryland BTW. Deep Creek Lake | An Ideal Maryland Vacation| Wisp Resort

Old 09-19-2007, 07:53 AM

7,021 posts, read 11,317,487 times
Garrett County and the western part of Allegany County get alot of snow. Somewhere around 80-100 inches if I remember correctly.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:27 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,808 times
Snow is dependant on area - the further north and west the heavier the snowfall (and the longer it lingers)

You will also find out quickly that weather here is BIG NEWS! - As soon as they call for snow or ice the people rush out and purchase EVERY single roll of toilet paper - loaf of bread - and gallon of milk. They also stampede the movie rental places anticipating being stranded for MONTHS at home.

We also like to send kids to school an hour and a half late (to clear and sand the roads) then when it keeps snowing - we close school an hour or 2 early to get the kids home.

And NO ONE here can drive on ice or snow because we have a lot of people from other places that never grew up with winter weather - so they drive anyway and slide either off the road or into the other drivers.

I personally would rather stay inside and avoid the crazies if the weather becomes an issue.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:05 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,842 times
And if you do stay home on a snow day, don't count on watching The Price is Right and your favorite soap operas; the news pre-empts everything all day and they have various reporters comparing 2.5 inches of snow in Catonsville with 3.1 inches of snow in Parkville.

If you live in the city and have to compete for parking, be sure to have either lawn chairs or traffic cones to claim your spot once you dig out your car.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:11 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
And if you do stay home on a snow day, don't count on watching The Price is Right and your favorite soap operas; the news pre-empts everything all day and they have various reporters comparing 2.5 inches of snow in Catonsville with 3.1 inches of snow in Parkville.
Exactly - people from Buffalo should fly here in the winter just to have a good laugh.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:18 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times
THere is skiing in Western Maryland.

The entire state is way too cold and dreary for me in the winter. Why can't we have perfect weather like North Carolina or Arizona or Florida?

Old 09-19-2007, 12:35 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,302,327 times
Because you are in Maryland. I never want to have weather like Arizona and Florida where folks dying of heat stroke is common. My husband love wearing winter clothes, He thinks that the season where folks can dress their best for some strange reason. I Think the perfect weather is spring which do we have in Maryland. States like florida and Arizona only have Hot, very hot then hot weather.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:23 PM

915 posts, read 3,181,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
THere is skiing in Western Maryland.

The entire state is way too cold and dreary for me in the winter. Why can't we have perfect weather like North Carolina or Arizona or Florida?
are you nut? NC in the summer is hot humid and hot, and in the winter they tend to get a lot ice storm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland