Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 06:00 PM

4 posts, read 10,656 times

Advertisements

Hi

We are planning to bid for a family home in elkridge MD area. Seller made additions in 2004 (310 sq ft to existing squzre foot) . According to seller , additional square foot is not added to maryland tax record. Anybody can help me here to how to add the extra sq ft to tax record once we buy the home. what is the process involved??

Thanks
Rajan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 06:54 PM

123 posts, read 381,347 times
You can check the records yourself at Maryland Real Property. Also you can always ask the county to come and look at the Property. Just curious what of Elkridge? I live in Elkridge also.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:30 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,526 times
The State Department of Assessments and Taxation conducts reassessments every three years. The new square footage should be reflected in the reassessment when they conduct it. Good luck getting them to come out and do a special assessment; it took me approximately 48 calls to their office to convince them that I live in a house and not on an empty lot.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:48 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,301,367 times
You do know by doing so your property tax will increase.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:16 PM

847 posts, read 3,353,898 times
How in the world did they add square footage without the government knowing about it? Didn't they get a building permit? Wasn't the work inspected? Check to make sure they pulled permits for the work, and if not, walk away from the place.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:41 PM

123 posts, read 381,347 times
Actual they guess on square footage or just go off what the home owner tells them. They also wouldn't necessarily need a building permit either. For example if they turn their already existing deck into a a game room and they ran no major wiring or plumbing then there's no need for a permit. If they turn it into a bathroom there would be permits needed but not for the building.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:15 AM

240 posts, read 1,065,603 times
I do believe the taxes you are paying are for the property value and not necessarily the sq ft on the house. I'm sure it has some to do w/ it but the property is what the state is more concerned with. They can get more money for that. My mom pays an outrageous amt for her taxes in Howard County. She has 5 acres but the house is only 1500 sq ft so that should just tell you something.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:36 AM

4 posts, read 10,656 times
Thanks for the replies.I will follow up with county.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:16 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhelfoioracle View Post
They also wouldn't necessarily need a building permit either. For example if they turn their already existing deck into a a game room and they ran no major wiring or plumbing then there's no need for a permit. If they turn it into a bathroom there would be permits needed but not for the building.
That totally depends on the county. My county (Harford) requires a permit for everything! And actually, any change of use (deck into a conditioned space-game room) should get a use and occupancy permit. We just went through the permit process to change from 1 bathroom to 2 (in the same space). We had to get building, plumbing, and electrical permits, and had 3 difference inspectors (framing/insulation, plumbing, and electrical). We still need the final use and occupancy, but aren't quite done (yet we are using one )

That said, we didn't permit our fence, even though we are supposed to.

I would go to the county and check for permits. Permits are public record; we were able to check the permits for the addition on the house we bought before we made the offer.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:26 AM

847 posts, read 3,353,898 times
Yeah, I don't know the rules for the specific county you're in, and I don't know what it was that the sellers you're talking about did, but sometimes when people build or alter things without permits, and they were supposed to get permits for the work, you can have trouble getting a mortgage to buy the property. I've heard of title insurers insisting that illegal decks come down and such like that. That might be more of an issue if the illegal structure actually violates zoning rules, and it might be different in different localities, but unpermitted work on a house you want to buy is something you should check into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland