Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 07:45 AM

3 posts, read 11,902 times

Advertisements

My husband may have to relocate to Harford County for work, and I would like to know if there is a chinese school in Harford County. Also, are there any authentic Asian restaurants or is everything chains and big box?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 05:08 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,088,018 times
The highest concentrations are in Montgomery Country around Rockville and Gaithersburg. There are a couple of Korean groceries around the Baltimore beltway, but authentic Chinese restaurants in Baltimore....shudder....it's all Americanized and that which claims to be authentic is really quite sad--almost an insult to Chinese cooking. DC is only slightly better. I think many say DC has 'good' Szechuan and great 'Thai' and 'Vietnamese'.

Rockville has some Chinese schools. I think Baltimore has one as well

Chinese Immersion (http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/schools/potomaces/chineseimmersion.html - broken link)

Baltimore Chinese School

Washington Metropolitan Association of Chinese Schools - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-23-2008, 10:23 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,094 times
PenguinSix - Harford county is well over an hour from DC!

From what I have seen living in Harford county for a year, there isn't a very large Asian population. I haven't heard of a Chinese school, don't know of an Asian grocery store, and haven't seen too many authentic resteraunts. I've been searching for good sushi, and found two sushi places in Bel Air. There are Chinese takeout places around, just like anywhere, but the quality varies. Aberdeen has a Korean place, but I haven't eaten there. I lived in DC for 5 years before moving up here, and the lack of Asian food has been really disappointing (actually, the overall quality of dining out places has been disappointing). I miss my weekly sushi lunch. My Thai and Indian dinners. I don't even think there is an Indian restertaunt in this county! Its really the only thing I dislike about being here, so DH and I have been working on learning to cook like the food we ate in DC.

That said, depending on where in Harford you end up, you can be in Baltimore in about 30 minutes, and there are areas in Baltimore with more authentic ethnic cuisine.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:53 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,088,018 times
I know it is over an hour. I mentioned it to sort of point out how rough it is going to be.

There is (can't find it now) a bulletin board for DC/MD area Chinese speakers. It used to be ´óÆìÍø_ÂÛ̳_ÉçÇø_ÅÅÐÐ_ËÑË÷_d aqi.com or »¶Ó*·ÃÎÊ[ÖлªÌ³ÃË] (broken link) something like that (think it got bought out). Was good for finding nannies and Chinese language tutors in the area.

Hmm...not sure if those are the right links. I'll try to dig it up.

But in the end, you are really kind of stuck out there. It's going to be an adjustment that's for sure. I remember once returning from an extended assignment in Hong Kong to rural Maryland and going from options of 1,000s of restaurants to 'a burrito at 7-11 or McDonalds....hmmm, tough choice).

Good luck.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:35 AM

915 posts, read 3,180,902 times
Need a cantonese tutor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland