Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2006, 04:15 AM

2 posts, read 7,776 times

Advertisements

Hi, all!

I'm a native Marylander currently living in Chicago with an excellent employment opportunity (for my husband) in the Salisbury area. If my husband gets the job, we'd like to buy a home in the next few months, but I don't have a firm grasp of the current housing market on the ES. In fact, given that I'm from Montgomery/PGC, I never really did.

After a bit of research, I've narrowed our options down to the following:

-Salisbury

-Southern DE-- e.g.: Laurel, Selbyville, etc.

-Ocean Pines or Berlin

-Okay, I lied, we're pretty open to other places as well.

We'll miss the big city life and would prefer to live in or near a town center, which makes Salisbury seem more attractive than some of the others. OTOH, while Salisbury would be closer for him, I would like to work in Ocean City-- at least during the summer.

All of these areas seem like good places to buy (and I like the tax situation in Delaware), but some seem to have experienced greater appreciation than others have over the last five years. Almost everyone at the potential future company keeps pushing Ocean Pines because they seem to think it's a better investment than Salisbury, etc. But I'm not completely convinced that the market there hasn't plateau'ed. If there won't be much difference in appreciation, I might be more inclined towards Salisbury or, really, any of the other options, since those homes are significantly less expensive and in more diverse and "homey" communities. IOW-- I'm trying to balance the investment opportunity with my own personal enjoyment of the home/neighborhood.

Anyone have any insights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 04:42 AM

2 posts, read 7,776 times
Going in another direction, let me add Princess Anne to that list...

Old 12-05-2006, 06:18 AM

168 posts, read 670,896 times
Certain parts of Salisbury are nice, but having recently moved from STL MO its a bit of an adjustment. I live about 15 mins from Salisbury and the rural life is almost too peaceful. Living in Salisbury may be different but if you are used to having an abundance of activities and a variety of things to do its gonna be a difficult transition. My wife and I are still having our doubts after living here for over a yr. hth

Old 12-07-2006, 07:53 AM

3 posts, read 10,316 times
Have you looked at the Easton or Cambridge areas? It may be a little far out for you but there are some great investment opportunities there. From Cambridge you are about 30 minutes from Salisbury and from Easton about 45 minutes. Easton is a great town with a lot going on. It does not have a big city feel but there is always something happening even in the winter months, a bustling small town.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,712 times
Default Virginia Eastern Shore

Maybe you should consider "Captain's Cove", a community of homes in Greenbackville, VA 23356, just across the Maryland border and right on the Chincoteague Bay. Low taxes, good housing prices, great fishing, etc etc.
My house is right on the water about 40 minutes south of Ocen City, MD and Salisbury, MD. Oh...did I mention golf. We got it all!!!

Old 03-07-2007, 06:55 AM

135 posts, read 605,183 times
If you look south of the places you and others have mentioned you will see lower prices/better value. Look at the DOM total, (the higher the better) then make a below list price offer. If your not already using it go to: homesdatabase.com This is a very useful site.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:49 PM

7 posts, read 45,293 times
Default Relocating

I think you would be very happy in Salisbury! My husband and I relocated from the DC suburbs and we love it! I am a realtor in the area and would be happy to help you if you are still looking! Email me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland