Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 09:30 AM

56 posts, read 62,359 times

Advertisements

I retire next year and can't afford/don't want to live in Baltimore City any longer. The top of the list is Vermont (going in a few weeks to look), Pittsburgh and Cumberland (which I've visited a lot over the decades). Lots of good info on this forum about Cumberland, except hospitals (important because I'm old and, you know). Vermont has 2 excellent medical centers (one in New Hampshire just over the line). Pittsburgh is renowned for its hospitals. Can someone fill me in about Cumberland? The plan is to retire within an hour (30 minutes is even better) of a good hospital, not a backwater. Our plan is to sell our house, decide on an area (we like mountains and cold weather; going south isn't an option) and then rent for a year before we buy. Our combined retirement income will be around $60K (which should be fine for Western Maryland).

Other questions about Cumberland: can someone point us to a good source for rentals? I've checked Craigslist and the listings are sparse (and look phony; no addresses and only 1 photo). Also, what's the internet situation? Hard to imagine it would be worse than Baltimore (unless it's dial up). Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 10:33 AM

7,015 posts, read 11,307,950 times
I'm not a fan our local hospital...but it is relatively new, built within the last 5-10 years. They have a good reputation for heart health care, look up Dr. Mark Nelson. But other than that, I avoid it. The good news is that Morgantown is home to the WVU Ruby Medical Center/Hospital, which is quite good. It is a bit over an hour from Cumberland, closer still to Frostburg and Garrett County.

Honestly, the best way to find rentals is to look in the paper times-news.com There are some sketchy streets in town, so I would advise asking me (or anyone else familiar with the area) about the neighborhoods in question before you rent.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:42 AM

Thanks! Maybe closer to Morgantown is the answer. Or in, although I've been underwhelmed by that town on a few visits. Not many rentals listed in the Times-News, at least right now.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:59 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwriter View Post
The top of the list is Vermont (going in a few weeks to look), Pittsburgh and Cumberland (which I've visited a lot over the decades).
On the negative side about Vermont is that it taxes Social Security income. It is also rated one of the worst states for the treatment of retiree income, with a high income tax rate. New Hampshire is somewhat better as it does not tax Social Security or other retirement income, and it has no sales tax. I rely on Kiplinger's for information.

Otherwise, I agree that it is good to locate near good medical facilites.

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-03-2016 at 01:31 PM..

Old 09-03-2016, 01:56 PM

125 posts, read 114,225 times
Don't retire in MD, don't do it man..

Retire in PA, it's the best place to retire since no tax on your retirement.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:25 PM

What if I move to a place in PA with high property taxes? It's not really that cut-and-dried, is it? NH doesn't have an income tax, but the property taxes can be brutal. Yeah, Vermont is a high-tax state. But maybe you get something in return. For one thing, it's Vermont, not frigging (for example) Delaware (or Hanover, PA, where my parents retired because retirement income wasn't taxed; what a dump). I live in Baltimore City now, pay something like 2 1/2 times the property tax of surrounding counties. But the trade-off is, I don't live in one of the (boring) surrounding counties. Bottom line, I'm not opposed to taxes. End of rant.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:42 AM

7,015 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwriter View Post
Thanks! Maybe closer to Morgantown is the answer. Or in, although I've been underwhelmed by that town on a few visits. Not many rentals listed in the Times-News, at least right now.
Northern Garrett County is a good option if you want to be closer to Ruby in Morgantown, but still stay in Maryland. There are little towns like Grantsville if you want a town setting, and of course, plenty of rural, wooded areas.

I don't know very much about the small towns on I-68 between the WV line and Morgantown. As always, living or driving regularly though Garrett County requires comfort driving in the snow, but if VT is also on your list, I am guessing you are OK with it.

Also, you probably should gather a variety of opinions on the hospital in Cumberland (WMHS) before writing the city off completely. I'm not a fan of the hospital, but that's just me.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:33 AM

461 posts, read 1,283,947 times
Why don't you check out Hancock in Washington County? It's in the valley of the mountains and close to healthcare in Hagerstown/Frederick. Cheap housing, gaining a reputation as an art and recreation community.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:05 PM

119 posts, read 237,061 times
You might wish to consider right across the river in Ridgeley, West Virginia. It's lower taxes all around, within a stone's throw of downtown Cumberland, but far enough out of town that you're not dealing with Cumberland's social problems. Plus, a few minutes drive out there are some larger lots as opposed to houses right on top of each other, much more privacy. Also, the houses are generally a few decades newer, i.e., more ranchers/ramblers, etc.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll make it a point to stop in Ridgely. I've been to Hancock.It's really small, didn't see a lot of houses for sale. I like the proximity to the C&O Trail, though (ditto Cumberland).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland