Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2022, 10:34 AM

50 posts, read 182,576 times

Advertisements

I live in CA and will be moving to either MD or DE in the near future. We are waiting on a house to sell (long story- it’s not been listed yet).

My kids live in MD, and since hubby and I didn’t want to drive 2 cars from CA to MD when we move,
my son and I drove my car out last week.

We originally were going to move out here in June, but it has gotten delayed.

Anyway… I looked up the requirements to register the car and the MVA says 60 days from residency.
If I’m just leaving my car here till we move, do I need to register it now or can it wait?

We may not even move here, as DE is closer to my parents and I don’t want to register it twice.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help

* I do have MD insurance on it, so no worries there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 12:15 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
What are you claiming as your home address? If you're not claiming a MD address then you're a transient and are just visiting.

Your California insurance should have been adequate for the latter above. You also don't have a residence to claim for car registration if you're just visiting.

Old 04-18-2022, 11:34 AM

187 posts, read 363,809 times
I've witnessed many neighbors leave their former state's tags on their car for years. And I've read many suggest online that this is justified given MD's fee for new registration. This leaves me with the impression that as long as your car is registered anywhere, you're good.

Old 04-18-2022, 11:56 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsMass View Post
I've witnessed many neighbors leave their former state's tags on their car for years. And I've read many suggest online that this is justified given MD's fee for new registration. This leaves me with the impression that as long as your car is registered anywhere, you're good.
Maybe. Local law enforcement, and even MSP, will go on campaigns after out of state tagged cars occasionally.

What's funny is that Maryland's excise fee isn't that much different than most states for out of state tag transfers.

There is an exemption for military for tag/title transfer and, of course, snowbirds who claim residency in, say, Florida.

Old 05-01-2022, 07:17 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
I have lived in a few States, and Maryland is the only one I recall that insists you have to change registration and DL within 60 days. It's just another way the state nickel and dimes you. The only reason why I switched to MD was because my registration was with the State of Maine, who does vehicle inspections yearly.

Old 05-02-2022, 06:06 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,087,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I have lived in a few States, and Maryland is the only one I recall that insists you have to change registration and DL within 60 days. It's just another way the state nickel and dimes you. The only reason why I switched to MD was because my registration was with the State of Maine, who does vehicle inspections yearly.

Virginia, at least in the tidewater area used to be worse. When I was stationed there I would get pulled over at least monthly for having Maryland tags on the car even when I was in uniform. They have some 'gotchas' in the law. For example if the car is titled in both you and your wife's name it was not eligible to have out of state tags if you had an address in the state even though you were active duty. Hampton police used to sit outside the gate at Langley AFB and Newport News police used to sit outside Ft Eustis and pull people over on a regular basis.

They used to drive through apartment complexes and put tickets on cars with out of state tags at least monthly (or more often if things were slow) And you had to take time off work and go down and go to court to get it thrown out. I wore my blue uniform more for municipal court than anything else in the years I was stationed there (normal work uniform was fatigues, couldn't wear them to court). You would go there and it was a sea of Navy, Army, and Air Force uniforms.

Last edited by MidValleyDad; 05-02-2022 at 06:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: