Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2016, 08:39 PM

73 posts, read 92,922 times

Advertisements

I will be traveling south from NY state to Florida and visiting relatives in Williamsburg. Since we do not want to deal with the beltway, I am thinking of going down via the peninsula. So which is the more scenic route? Scenic but not stop and go all the way, that is. It would be in mid October.
I would also appreciate any ideas on where to stay south of Harrisburg VA, well probably even south of 95 the night before.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 06:01 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueBSouth View Post
I will be traveling south from NY state to Florida and visiting relatives in Williamsburg. Since we do not want to deal with the beltway, I am thinking of going down via the peninsula. So which is the more scenic route? Scenic but not stop and go all the way, that is.
I'd say stick with Route 13 since it is the shorter route unless you want to stop off in Easton or Cambridge. There's nothing much scenic about either route. You will see a lot of dry cornfields and maybe some migrating birds. However, if you have time to stop off for lunch in Easton or Cambridge, both have historic areas where you can stroll around. The Tidewater Inn in Easton is very nice, although expensive.

Regarding Harrisburg, Virginia, you should ask at the Virginia board.

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-11-2016 at 06:55 AM..

Old 09-11-2016, 06:58 AM

Thank you goldenage1, I was guessing it might be just what you are saying, not much to see, as both routes are quite inland. Although I think it would be preferable to a beltway ride! And also, thanks I will head over to VA board too!

Old 09-11-2016, 05:15 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
It's a nice break from the beltway and 95. As said though, not much but corn and bean fields. The small towns will get you in coastal VA with the lower limits and a few lights but it's not bad IMO. Make sure to time your trip so your crossing the Bay Bridge tunnel while it's still daylight.

If you have the time, the most scenic and interesting twist of that drive would be to take the Cape May/Lewis ferry across the DE bay and shoot on down the coastal highway to rt 50 and take that to 113S till it merges to 13 right above the VA border. That would give a nice coastal drive through some small towns, barren beaches, back bays and coastal resorts. BUT, that would also add some time to what is already a long trip, but at least give a break from driving as you cross the DE bay.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:52 PM

450 posts, read 798,283 times
Where is Harrisburg, Virginia?

Old 09-11-2016, 07:37 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubyaM View Post
Where is Harrisburg, Virginia?
They might have meant Harrisonburg Virginia or Harrisburg Pennsylvania. In eiither case, the Maryland forum is the wrong place to ask.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:48 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
I will be traveling south from NY state to Florida and visiting relatives in Williamsburg. Since we do not want to deal with the beltway, I am thinking of going down via the peninsula. So which is the more scenic route? Scenic but not stop and go all the way, that is. It would be in mid October.
I would also appreciate any ideas on where to stay south of Harrisburg VA, well probably even south of 95 the night before.
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I'd say stick with Route 13 since it is the shorter route unless you want to stop off in Easton or Cambridge. There's nothing much scenic about either route. You will see a lot of dry cornfields and maybe some migrating birds. However, if you have time to stop off for lunch in Easton or Cambridge, both have historic areas where you can stroll around. The Tidewater Inn in Easton is very nice, although expensive.

"I'd say stick with Route 13 since it is the shorter route"

"Scenic but not stop and go all the way'

There are lot of little towns to go through on 13 with trafic lights.

If you take 13 you have to go through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel to Virginia Beach, go right then North through Norfolk via Interstate 64, LOTS of traffic, then through the Hampton Roads bridge tunnel to Williamsburg.

A LOT further.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:03 PM

450 posts, read 798,283 times
Quote:
Thanks!
If you are going down the peninsula you'll be taking US13; US50 goes west through Washington, DC and onward. Perhaps you mean Harrisburg, PA. There ain't no Harrisburg, VA.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:02 PM

671 posts, read 1,117,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

I don't know what part of NY the OP is from but a drive through open countryside with harvested fields is a very scenic route to me after living in NOVA and seeing miles and miles of bumper to bumper traffic every day. I consider it a worthwhile drive if I go beyond the urban area and see cows! (not horses-that's nice but I'm not out of town til I see cows)

Old 09-12-2016, 09:41 PM

Thanks to all, and my bad, I meant Harrisburg, PA, from which I hope to diag down through PA Dutch country into the tip of DELMARVA. So I wasn't being specific in saying that I was looking to stay the night in that region before tackling the eastern shore area.
AND, Lemming95, this OP is from UPstate NY (one hour from Canadian border) where there is lots of open country...which I sometimes miss now that I am in the rather congested Pinellas County area of Tampa Bay, FL
Cows, cows are nice. Fields too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: