Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2016, 05:39 AM

8 posts, read 14,533 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm seriously considering going to Coppin State, The low tuition and the merit based Scholarships I received are better than any other college I applied too. I'm just scared I'll that I wont be accepted here. I want to attend here in spring and I'm scared because its in a rough neighborhood, Would it be dangerous to take the metro in Coppin Heights area to get downtown? I just don't want to be confined to my dorm room all year for fear of my safety. Can someone tell me good things going for this school?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 08:31 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,564,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthebyas View Post
Hi,

I'm seriously considering going to Coppin State, The low tuition and the merit based Scholarships I received are better than any other college I applied too. I'm just scared I'll that I wont be accepted here. I want to attend here in spring and I'm scared because its in a rough neighborhood, Would it be dangerous to take the metro in Coppin Heights area to get downtown? I just don't want to be confined to my dorm room all year for fear of my safety. Can someone tell me good things going for this school?

Thanks
You created the same thread in the Baltimore forum which has been replied to by a lot of people familiar with the area and the school. Did you not like the responses? Be careful. You could be accused of being a troll.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:57 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Yeah, the same posters in the Baltimore forum post here too.

But FWIW, my friends from Baltimore call Coppin "grades 13 and 14." The school does not have a good reputation among the folks I know in higher education either.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:46 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,806,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
You created the same thread in the Baltimore forum which has been replied to by a lot of people familiar with the area and the school. Did you not like the responses? Be careful. You could be accused of being a troll.
I 2nd this

Old 09-30-2016, 09:18 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Coppin State has one of the very lowest graduation rates in the entire country. Most students drop out. I've seen the statistics.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:51 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
I don't know why any student of any race should feel uncomfortable going to any institution of higher education in Maryland especially a publically funded one... If you feel uncomfortable after visiting the school then don't go....simple as that. Having said that being white, blue or green at a HBCU from what I have heard.. has been a positive experience from most people that are in the minority and attending these institutions...1) These institutions are competing for students just a like everyone else and want to be diverse and inclusive like most other institutions 2) Most students CHOOSE to go to an HBCU for that experience.. a non African American Student choosing to go to an HBCU would likely be viewed by most students as being interested in that experience which is likely something that should be admired and celebrated since the more that share that experience the likely they are to tell others and to carry the positive aspects of that experience out into the world. Simply look at movements like 'Black Lives Matter' and event the "Occupy" movement.. these are diverse groups of individuals usually in the same age cohort. 4) Like in #3 many millis are looking for rich and diverse experiences whether being AA in a majority white school, Asian, White or Indian in a majority black school.. Its become less about racial stigma but more about the experience.. especially if the institution is accredited and recognized.. then it becomes a positive two fold experience.. When its not accredited then it could be problematic. Finally, the professors and faculty at most HBCUs are also diverse and that brings in another range of perspectives and ideas to enrich the experience...

Funny story.. I knew a white guy that went to an HBCU on a football scholarship.. The position he played??????? Kicker... Watch an HBCU Football game with scores of 18 to 6 with no extra points being made nor field goals or a series of 30 yard punts and this will make sense.. (of course I am generalizing.. so haters.... flame on...)

From a strictly social perspective.. I have heard nothing but positive things from whites and other groups attending HBCUs

Last edited by Woodlands; 10-06-2016 at 08:07 AM..

Old 10-06-2016, 10:30 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I don't know why any student of any race should feel uncomfortable going to any institution of higher education in Maryland especially a publically funded one... If you feel uncomfortable after visiting the school then don't go....simple as that. Having said that being white, blue or green at a HBCU from what I have heard.. has been a positive experience from most people that are in the minority and attending these institutions...1) These institutions are competing for students just a like everyone else and want to be diverse and inclusive like most other institutions 2) Most students CHOOSE to go to an HBCU for that experience.. a non African American Student choosing to go to an HBCU would likely be viewed by most students as being interested in that experience which is likely something that should be admired and celebrated since the more that share that experience the likely they are to tell others and to carry the positive aspects of that experience out into the world. Simply look at movements like 'Black Lives Matter' and event the "Occupy" movement.. these are diverse groups of individuals usually in the same age cohort. 4) Like in #3 many millis are looking for rich and diverse experiences whether being AA in a majority white school, Asian, White or Indian in a majority black school.. Its become less about racial stigma but more about the experience.. especially if the institution is accredited and recognized.. then it becomes a positive two fold experience.. When its not accredited then it could be problematic. Finally, the professors and faculty at most HBCUs are also diverse and that brings in another range of perspectives and ideas to enrich the experience...

Funny story.. I knew a white guy that went to an HBCU on a football scholarship.. The position he played??????? Kicker... Watch an HBCU Football game with scores of 18 to 6 with no extra points being made nor field goals or a series of 30 yard punts and this will make sense.. (of course I am generalizing.. so haters.... flame on...)

From a strictly social perspective.. I have heard nothing but positive things from whites and other groups attending HBCUs
"I don't know why any student of any race should feel uncomfortable going to any institution of higher education in Maryland especially a publically funded one.."

WOW!

That is a pretty strong opinion.

I guess you would NOT go to the University of MD, John's Hopkins, the United States Naval Academy, St. John's in Annapolis, Hood College, Loyola, etc.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:20 PM
yvc

1 posts, read 1,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthebyas View Post
Hi,

Thanks
I am a 64 year old african american female employed at Coppin. There are many benefits as you mention to attending Copping and there are a number of white students at Coppin. I will not sugar coat or lie about crime in Baltimore or any other inner city neighborhood, it does exist. However, I personally have never been a victim or would simply recommend that you exercise good common sense, do not invite harm such as talking on your cell phone while walking through neighborhoods, and would highly recommend that you make friends and engage in group activities. There are few incidents of crime involving our students.

Good luck and I hope to see you at Coppin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland