Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2016, 03:10 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,357,122 times

Advertisements

I have come to the conclusion that Counterfeit Money must be a cottage industry in Baltimore. Somewhere in the bowels of a Rowhouse maybe in Station North where artists have access to paper and money green paint.. Someone is printing up a boat load of 20 spots and dumping them on the streets of Baltimore.

I have been in several take outs, carry outs, corner stores and the like that have a "fake" 20 taped to the wall just above their business license and next to the first real dollar that they owned with the words FAKE emblazoned upon it.

My own experience is when I walk into some of these stores with my "street clothes" on.. and watch the clerk do a series of maneuvers with my 20 spot.. holding up to the light laying it on the counter to see how flat it is and even studying my reactions and how I pull it out.. does it come out of my wallet or simply out of my pocket.. all in an effort to determine if it is FAKE..as if warning anyone foolish enough to try and pass one.. that they are wise to them.. What happens if I pass a bill that turns out to be fake? Do they keep it and call the BPD? Do I stay so I can plead my case..and maybe get my 20 spot back so I can go to the bank and have them change it out? Who is responsible for my fake 20 spot? BPD will ask where I got it from .. but does that mean I am responsible for the fact that it was fake? I am sure some poor mope of an employee at one of these stores had the riot act read to them in several languages for taking a fake 20 spot and at a minimum likely had 20 come out of their check.. so now they scrutinize any 20 spot that comes into the joint during their shift...

When all the visual antics don't render a definitive decision.. they swab it down with one of those magic markers.. one time nearly washing the entire bill with marker ink BEFORE holding it up to the light and doing the same visual ritual.. then reluctantly placing it in the drawer and counting out my change all the while still eye balling me suspiciously for any smirk of joy that I have just gotten over on them...so that they can quickly reverse their decision.

When I have my white collar uniform on... they take my 20 spot with no questions asked...

Should I be offended when my 20 spot gets swabbed? Seems like it is a very subjective process

Last edited by Woodlands; 10-04-2016 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 03:52 PM

45,378 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Don't be offended. There's one grocery down here that does the marker thing with every bill they get from ten up. And their card scanners are usually down

Old 10-04-2016, 05:00 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
You will not 'maybe get my 20 spot back so I can go to the bank and have them change it out?' When the police are called they will turn the case over to the Secret Service. They will confiscate the bill (and probably check out the others you have) You will then (at least) be out $20. You can claim the loss on your income tax. I have seen a couple clerks offer to let you pay with another bill and give you the bill back. If they get caught doing this they can be charged as an accomplice.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:40 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
You will not 'maybe get my 20 spot back so I can go to the bank and have them change it out?' When the police are called they will turn the case over to the Secret Service. They will confiscate the bill (and probably check out the others you have) You will then (at least) be out $20. You can claim the loss on your income tax. I have seen a couple clerks offer to let you pay with another bill and give you the bill back. If they get caught doing this they can be charged as an accomplice.

That is good to know.. I have always wondered what to do if you unknowingly pass a $20 bill that is determined to be fake.. It sounds like the clerk should call the police and you SHOULD remain at the scene and wait for the officer and answer any questions and fill out a police report so you can do what you outlined above...Ironically, I have had a clerk tell me they don't take plastic and direct me to a teller machine five steps away from the counter.. He watched me go to the machine take out $20 and return to the counter to complete my transaction.. he still did the 20 spot ritual thing to see if it was fake.. I was like WTF.. it came out of YOUR FRIGIN TELLER MACHINE AND YOU STILL DONT TRUST IT? Unbelievable .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland