Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2016, 11:40 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,868,327 times

Advertisements

I got a parking ticket in DC (issued by DC dept of public works). I have MD tags. I totally disagree with it. Anyway, what are the ramifications of not paying a DC parking ticket if you are a MD resident and your vehicles are registered in MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 06:11 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,789,605 times
Go to court if u disagree.

Old 10-11-2016, 05:51 PM

7,980 posts, read 5,328,586 times
I wouldn't test it. Go to court or pay it.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:56 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,410,609 times
Things change and juristictions cooperate more than they used to but in the past,and perhaps present,if you stay out of DC nothing will happen.If they find the car in DC again they may boot it or impound it which is going to cost a lot more than the current ticket.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:12 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,874,854 times
They'll report you to MD DMV. Pay the ticket before it doubles or contest the ticket.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:33 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,868,327 times
To those who wondered, I did a bunch of research and found that the only way a DC ticket can affect MD or VA residents is if it's for a moving violation, not parking tickets. DC is sometimes incorrectly reporting parking tickets as moving violations to MD/VA. If that's the case, you're supposed to ask DC for a list of tickets to confirm what kind they are, but apparently that can turn into a nightmare.

You can't register in DC if you have any outstanding tickets. If you have two (no matter the state) they can boot your car and you could be towed if you go back to DC.

Incidentally, I found a newstory in which DC has been claiming people have unpaid tickets (some as far back as the 90s) and these people can't register/renew without proving they paid. In some cases, DC doesn't even have copies of the tickets. It is absolutely ridiculous, here's a link to the story FOX 5 demands answers from DMV about old parking tickets - Story | WTTG

Old 10-16-2016, 08:06 AM

19,898 posts, read 8,789,725 times
They turn the fine for parking tickets over to a collections agency which is worse than dealing with the DMV.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:53 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,789,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
To those who wondered, I did a bunch of research and found that the only way a DC ticket can affect MD or VA residents is if it's for a moving violation, not parking tickets. DC is sometimes incorrectly reporting parking tickets as moving violations to MD/VA. If that's the case, you're supposed to ask DC for a list of tickets to confirm what kind they are, but apparently that can turn into a nightmare.

You can't register in DC if you have any outstanding tickets. If you have two (no matter the state) they can boot your car and you could be towed if you go back to DC.

Incidentally, I found a newstory in which DC has been claiming people have unpaid tickets (some as far back as the 90s) and these people can't register/renew without proving they paid. In some cases, DC doesn't even have copies of the tickets. It is absolutely ridiculous, here's a link to the story FOX 5 demands answers from DMV about old parking tickets - Story | WTTG
You can go to court and protest the tickets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland