Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 05:47 PM

122 posts, read 380,135 times

Advertisements

im from ohio and ive lived in maryland for 8 years and ive done better here than ever would have thought, i think anybody can make it here if you apply yourself. the cost of living is the only complaint i have. what are some good things you all see here compared to other states
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 07:54 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,670,188 times
tweezy, what part of Maryland do you live in, I lived in Maryland for almost 60 years and recently moved over into Ohio, although I still retained two homes in Maryland. I'm just curious as to what part of Maryland you live in.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:22 PM

143 posts, read 874,008 times
Interesting, Im moving from Ohio to Maryland tomarrow.I got offered a pretty good job for the federal government in DC. What part of Ohio are you from? And what part of Maryland did you move to? Im having trouble finding a place thats 1) affordable and 2) safe and 3) confortable commute to downtown DC.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:45 PM

645 posts, read 1,966,064 times
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']I grew up a military brat and I’m currently active duty in the USAF. Maryland is my favorite place to be stationed in the states because it’s so diverse. Maryland is one of those states with an identity crisis, which is not necessarily a bad thing.[/font]

Old 02-22-2008, 07:28 AM

122 posts, read 380,135 times
im from columbus i live in maryland i sometimes want to move back to columbus due to the cost of living out here but there are very good paying jobs out here and i have one, but a 1 bed room apt is 600 or more. if you can give me some good advise about ohio or give me your opinion of both please

Old 02-22-2008, 07:35 AM

969 posts, read 2,855,439 times
What I like about Maryland:

1) Drive EAST and there is The Chesapeake Bay and the MD Eastern Shore

2) Drive west and there are mountains

3) Drive north and you can be in Philadelphia in 2 hours

4) Drive south and there are multiple historic sites related to the Civil War

5) Washington DC is within an hour of most of the state
(depending on the time of day )

All around if you are bored it is your own fault

Old 02-22-2008, 09:12 AM

240 posts, read 1,066,417 times
Nah I'm only bored because I have seen everything there is to see and do. It's only so much you can do in a state you can drive across in 6 hours

Old 02-22-2008, 09:28 AM

382 posts, read 1,207,592 times
I love living between Baltimore and Washington and being so close to the events that both cities have to offer. Then I can be in Annapolis on the bay in 45 minutes, and 45 minutes in the other direction, I'm in the mountains. And it's close enough to NYC to go see a show or go shopping and come back the same day. Good access to some of the best medical care in the country.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:21 AM

320 posts, read 539,935 times
I moved to MD. from Connecticut about 9 yrs. ago for a "change of scenery" and I love it. It's not a utopia by any means but the state has much to offer. There are many job oppurtunities here and plenty of entertainment (pro & college sports, theatre, clubs, museums, music, golfing, fishing, sailing, etc..).

If you like to drive, Maryland also allows you to conveniently get to many popular cities in relatively short order (i.e. NY, Philly, Raleigh, D.C. of course). In essence, there are no shortage of oppurtunities in the state to take advantage of.

I know there are many people who can't stand MD. but given the choice, it is the only "cold-weather" region that I would choose to live. If you can just make it past the cost of living, MD. is a great place to be.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:32 AM

1,763 posts, read 6,002,076 times
The cost of living is a huge factor across most of the northeast and mid-atlantic. The nice thing is if you're planning on buying a home and staying, home prices have pulled back and interest rates are low. It'll never be as cheap as the midwest, but probably a good opportunity to buy.

From Frederick, I've made it to NYC in 3 1/2 hrs - although I was driving pretty fast...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland