Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 07:42 AM

94 posts, read 460,510 times

Advertisements

I keep reading that most places in Maryland are infestwed with crime. I was wondering if this was an exageration or truth. I plan on moving to Perryville for a job soon and terms like "redneck" and "hick" keep coming up. Now is this part safer because it's rural or still bad b/c people don't have anything better to do? Thanks.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:29 AM

97 posts, read 433,291 times
Around the city's you will find crime area's typical of most city's. when you get out in rural area's it is not bad at all. I lived outside Frostburg MD for 20 yrs. and the only time I locked my doors was when we went on vacation. I have alway's felt safe.

Just for the fun of it look up the definition for redneck in wikipedia. The definition is fairly true for Garrett Co. MD. There are a lot of educated people who choose to live off the grid on rural farms or just cabins in the woods. They like the simple life. There is also a population descended from Scotish immigrants and can trace their roots back to the 1800's. A lot of the land was granted as civil war tracts.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:57 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
the crime is mostly in PG county, parts of mont. county, baltimore city and a lil bit in the city of frederick other than that you should be fine.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:18 AM

165 posts, read 926,215 times
Default Is crime really that bad in Maryland?

For the most part Maryland is pretty good in regards to crime, it's just the bad areas get all the press which may leave folks with a negative taste in their mouths.

For example, you will hear how bad PG (Prince George's) county is with crime, which in some areas is quite true. That doesn't mean the entire county or state is bad. I lived in Calvert and Carroll counties and both were great as far as crime goes. I had safe neighborhoods, with good schools and nice neighbors. Now those conveniences come with a cost, you usually pay a premium for nice houses in areas like that.

Neither of these counties will be the best for you being you're looking to go to Perryville. I would probably look in Bel Air MD if I were you since you're looking to be near your work.

Good luck with the transition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonchaser View Post
I keep reading that most places in Maryland are infestwed with crime. I was wondering if this was an exageration or truth. I plan on moving to Perryville for a job soon and terms like "redneck" and "hick" keep coming up. Now is this part safer because it's rural or still bad b/c people don't have anything better to do? Thanks.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:35 AM

2,171 posts, read 3,316,852 times
Sad to say, but the violent crime rates in MD are bad. As of the 2005 Uniform Crime Report (from the FBI) MD was 4th in violent crime behind SC, TN, and FLA. MD was #1 (a dubious honor) in murder and robbery rates. I do believe crime is generally concentrated in Baltimore, PG County, and a few other locales in or near the cities.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:20 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,562 times
Mayor Williams of DC had a ingenious plan, one similar to what Mexico does for its citiznes. Let the Developers inflate home prices to make housing unaffordable and force people with no skills/morals to move somewhere else they can afford. So all these people that would be living in DC now are relocating to PG county and bringing the drama with them. Crime is typical of what you would find in a big metropolitan area but its nothing like memphis, detroit and other cities. Anything inside the beltway for PG county is highly discouraged and certain sections of Baltimore are off limits if you value life.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:05 PM

9 posts, read 72,168 times
I have lived in Maryland all my life and I don't think crime is an issue. But as I said I have lived here all my life so I don't have any other way to compare. There are areas with high crime, but I think that's common for all states. I currently live on the outskirts of Perryville which is located in Cecil County. I too heard all about "hicks & rednecks" along with "KKK County". I lived in Baltimore City for years and witnessed more racism and redneck behavior than I have out here. I have never encountered the KKK and I'm very involved with my different areas of the community. When people don't know much about an area they tend to create sterotypes. So many people have moved to Cecil County due to the convenient commute to Philly, NJ, Delaware & Baltimore. I hope this helps and good luck with your move.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:32 AM

4 posts, read 27,661 times
I moved from Southern California a year and a half ago to Montgomery County (North Potomac). We are renting a house on a nice street in what many consider an upscale neighborhood.

Last 4th of July our house was broken into, and many items taken. Renter's insurance was very useful, but nonetheless it was something of a shock.

Neighbors tell us it was only the second time in 30 years that this has happened in our area, and the statistics show that crime is a problem here like in most places, so we're a bit philosophical about that one (i.e. "chaulk it up to bad luck").

A co-worker lives in Mt. Airy in Frederick County, where he enjoys the rural-style living (unlocked doors etc.). And last month there was a rash of car thefts all along the street he lived on. He tells me that the police have two suspects they are looking for but they simply haven't found them yet.

You might want to obtain a local paper that lists crimes committed, as well as do some research on crime statistics for the area you are considering. A phone call to the local police station can also be very useful in gauging the relative risk of crime in any area you are considering - especially as you have many choices where to live with a relatively easy commute.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:28 PM

7 posts, read 27,304 times
first time on this site, or any site like this for that matter. Living in southern california, carlsbad. My wife has a job offer in Frederick, MD. Not sure if this is a good idea, what do you miss about southern Cal., besides the obvious beach, weather.

Last edited by mr.t; 03-05-2007 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-05-2007, 07:09 PM

15 posts, read 72,618 times
There is crime everywhere. And until people grasp that concept and try to figure out why people are committing crime than there will always be crime everywhere. and the areas with the most crime are the areas closest to Washington Dc, and Baltimore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland