Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:26 PM

4 posts, read 9,518 times

Advertisements

Hi MrTeethyme,
thank you very much for your reply. I guess I have to live there until I find some other place to live. Any idea how long it would take me? If I were to consider Rockville, any idea where a reasonable apt that would be under $1200? I heard housing around Rockville are very expensive. Where can I start to look for an apartment and school? If the school zip code is 20850, does it mean that I have to find a place with that zipcode?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 06:05 AM

15,410 posts, read 25,725,485 times
Montgomery County schools do not follow zip codes when assigning schools. Go here: Montgomery County Public Schools, Rockville, MD for info on schools and boundaries. Rockville area schools are very good so I wouldn't woory too much. Check out the website I linked for you above.

I rent an Apartment (3 Bedroom) in Gaithersburg, for under $1300, but it is for those with a low income. If you earn higher than a certain amount you have to look elsewhere.

Commute from Fair Oaks to Rockville will not be fun, but I know someone who does it. As far as I know, they don't mind it.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:32 PM

460 posts, read 1,873,956 times
You will be crossing the Potomac River if you live in Virginia and commute to Md. There are not many places to get across it and those that exist are very far between . Use this website - which is the electronic form of the books that you can find every month in every grocery store around here - to find something to rent in Rockville.

Apartments for rent: Apartment Guide, your free apartment finder

Old 04-01-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Montgomery County schools do not follow zip codes when assigning schools. Go here: Montgomery County Public Schools, Rockville, MD for info on schools and boundaries. Rockville area schools are very good so I wouldn't woory too much. Check out the website I linked for you above.

I rent an Apartment (3 Bedroom) in Gaithersburg, for under $1300, but it is for those with a low income. If you earn higher than a certain amount you have to look elsewhere.

Commute from Fair Oaks to Rockville will not be fun, but I know someone who does it. As far as I know, they don't mind it.
Thank you very much for the info.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2moveup View Post
You will be crossing the Potomac River if you live in Virginia and commute to Md. There are not many places to get across it and those that exist are very far between . Use this website - which is the electronic form of the books that you can find every month in every grocery store around here - to find something to rent in Rockville.

Apartments for rent: Apartment Guide, your free apartment finder
Thank you very much for the info.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:45 PM

6 posts, read 6,292 times
For the original poster -

If your wife needs to get to Baltimore for school/work, I'd recommend Crofton. I currently live in Crofton and have two small kids. Great schools, a nice family-oriented neighborhood, and relatively inexpensive by MD standards. If there is no need to be near Baltimore I would get out to the Eastern shore in either Chestertown or Easton. Beautiful, walkable towns with character and local charm. They are places you can really call "home."

Old 04-05-2008, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,072 times
My name is Sharon Akins & I live in Baltimore. The safest way to apply for housing in Baltimore is through the St. Ambrose Share/housing program. They are located at 321 E. 25th Street-phone is 410-366-8550. They are the safest way to find housing. Programs they have are:homesharing, where they pair you up with a person who already has a home,or housing for rent services. Website is www.stambrose (broken link) housing center in baltimore. Hope this helps.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:00 AM

9 posts, read 27,247 times
Jeanny, I would avoid commuting on the Capital beltway, across the American Legion Bridge (Md/Va) at all costs. This will be key to a happy experience!!

Old 04-06-2008, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,016 times
To the original poster:

I live in Crofton as well and highly recommend it. My children and I (I'm a single mother) have lived here for 12 years. The schools are great, with one exception, no high school, and no plans for one in the next few years. The town is split between two high schools, one which is close by in Odenton, and the other which is inconviently located in Edgewater. Conviently located halfway between Baltimore and DC, and only eight miles west of Annapolis, Crofton has been growing like crazy over the past few years and has lots to offer families with children of all ages, as well as singles, etc. Home prices vary quite a bit depending on the community and home type, but you can get a nice townhome for around $300k.

Last edited by slbose61; 04-06-2008 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: typo corrections

Old 04-06-2008, 10:27 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,975,913 times
My family (DH, DD3 and DD5) live in Catonsville which is a baltimore county suburb SW of Baltimore. I had lived in Baltimore all my life and knew nothing about this town before I moved here. It's convenient to downtown Baltimore (DH works there and commutes in 20-25 minutes in the morning, 30-40 in the evening,) convenient to BWI (takes 15 minutes to get there,) we're 45 minutes from the nearest Washington DC metro station, schools are good, neighborhoods are pretty, very family-oriented and neighborly, and GREAT 4th of July parade! I do not know about the general cost of apartments in this area nor do I know weekly child care (I work at my kids' preschool and get a break in cost.) Also, forgot to mention that there is a park and ride parking lot in Catonsville with a University of MD downtown shuttle bus stop (it would take her right to the dental school.) My husband works at the School of Pharmacy and occasionally takes that shuttle bus.

I love the community feel of Catonsville. It's like a small town right next a large city, so it's got the smaller town feel with the amenities of a larger city. And it's gorgeous here when it snows (you'll get used to it )

Good luck with your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland