Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2008, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 4,933 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]In 2000 I was behind on several credit card bills and my car note. I received a beneficiary payment from a family member’s death. Upon receiving this money I promptly paid all of my outstanding debt in full.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]In the last six months I have been receiving letters in phone calls regarding these debts from collection agency and one even from one of the original debtors themselves. I don’t understanding why they are expending time and money to collect paid debt from me.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]My biggest problem is that because this was now eight years ago, I do not have any of my documentation from when I paid these bills off. I have contacted my bank in regards to getting copies of the checks however my bank is requesting the check numbers and amount. As I mentioned earlier this was eight years ago, I do not know the check numbers or the amounts. I can’t get the amounts from the collectors because they have tacked on eight years worth of interest and fees.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I have not pulled my credit reports yet to see if they are reporting these collection attempts but I know they have threatened to put it on my report.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]I have sent them letters requesting a copy of the original debt but I have not received it and they are still coming after me. I am going to send out new letter (certified) and start tracking this information. They call me everyday from the morning to evening and even on Sundays. I can only think that this is happening because I moved to a new state or because all this old information was removed from my credit report and the information was posted by original debtors. I don't understand it. Does anyone have any advice for me? [/FONT][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 12:56 PM

78 posts, read 248,909 times
There was something on the TodayShow (I think) about old debt and companies that are dredging up things like what you are dealing with. Apparently there is a statute of limitations on old debt that might help you. Not even sure where to start to look for that info if not the TodayShow but definitely worth looking into. Good Luck!

Old 03-06-2008, 01:53 PM

915 posts, read 3,172,210 times
Basically you can tell them give them one warning, that either show me that I still owed the money or stop calling.
If they are threatening you, you can threating them you will sue.. it's pretty simple..companies selling old debts around...a lot of felt thru the crack.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:31 PM

15 posts, read 58,830 times
Do a google search for "debt validation". Take the first link. Follow the directions there to request a debt validation from the creditors whom are contacting you.

Then do a google search for "FDCPA", take the first link. This will tell you your rights granted under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

Last, get copies of your credit reports. Do a google search for: "annual credit report". do NOT use the "free credit report" sites as they will charge you. Yeah, no false advertising there huh? The ANNUAL credit report site is where you can get a free copy of all 3 bureau's reports every year.

Once you get your credit reports, you can see if these debts you have paid are still being collected on. If you have legally and fully paid your portion of the debt, and someone is attempting to collect on this debt, you may have a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and you should consult with an attorney about filing suit against your creditors.

I'd start with the debt validation steps.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:02 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,347,005 times
I would call the credit reporting agencies and find out, I do believe there is a limit on how far back they can go.

I also believe they have to present you with paperwork proving this debt. I have a friend who got some stuff removed for the reason they couldn't find anything to support their claims.

I would also go back to your bank and tell them what your dealing with, let them know that you don't have the check numbers and so forth. I don't have anything about my checking accounts that far back either. I was always told after 7 years you can toss it, or rather shred it.

I had a cable company try this with me one time, I told my side of the story and the credit reporting agency removed it from my report.

As to the calls, I would change your phone number, tell the phone company your receiving harassing phone calls, leave out that its from a credit reporting agency, they will change your phone number for free. The way to dodge them skip tracing you again is you can have your phone unlisted, unpublished AND put in a name other then your own. For example, my bill comes to me with my middle initial in the place of a first name and my last name mis-spelled. I have found that even if your phone number is unlisted and unpublished, it can get out. If its under a different name, they probably won't guess its you. Don't use your maiden name or a past married name because skip tracer will think of that one.

I have always had an unlisted and unpublished number but somehow ATT has released to mailing lists and I have even found it in a Sprint phone book. Of course I called and reemed them but the damage was already done.

I also have something called Privacy manager, if their phone number doesn't report, their call isn't allowed through.

I value my privacy, I will not be harassed at home.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:43 PM

69 posts, read 399,979 times
Default Don't let them get you down with the harassing phone calls

Debt collectors calling? Know your rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act

This is a fantastic web site that tells every state's statue of limitations for collecting old accounts, how to deal with credit card companies calling you at all hours of the day and night, how to talk with a company who you are late with, and where to go if you are in "credit hell", and the companies just won't let you alone.

Did you pay the bills yourself or did you give someone the money to "get you a money order" or to Money Gram the payment? I am only asking this because I have had some sneaky relatives who did a lot of underhanded things before I found out the truth about what happened with missing money.

After all this time, you never received one bill from this company?

If you do write this company, I would send ALL CORRESPONDENCE with 'RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED", meaning someone at the company has to sign for your letter and date it. Also in the above web site, it says that once you contact the company by mail asking for verification of the debt, they only have five days to send it back to you with the name of the company, the amount, reason for the debt, etc. Start a file on this company and starting immediately, date everything, enter it into a log explaining what you did that day regarding the debt, who you talked to and from what company, what was talked about, etc. That way everything is in black and white for you to review. This could be something as simple as the amount you paid never got posted to your account, but if that happened, they should have billed you again after your paid them.

Good luck. I think you will do fine if you are sure you paid them. It is only a matter of them proving you didn't pay and/or you proving that you did pay.

Also, look under the section on the web site where they talk about selling old accounts to numerous collection agencies for 10-20 cents on the dollar. You could have paid one company, and someone never posted it, and then the amount was sold to another collection agency.

Good luck, let me know how you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland