Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 07:34 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,358,124 times

Advertisements

And Bon-Ton is apparently on the brink of bankruptcy, and will continue to close more stores next year. It is speculated some of their stores in Maryland or Pennsylvania may be acquired by Belk or Boscov's. As for their Midwest brands it remains to be seen. Other stores include Elder-Beerman, Carson's, Younker's, Bergner's, Herbergers, and Boston Store.

While the department store sector is struggling, Belk seems to remain strong and in addition to the former Bon-Ton in Hagerstown, it has also recently converted a former Macy's in Bowling Green, Kentucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 05:09 AM

19,514 posts, read 9,537,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Well there is a Boscov's in Frederick, Maryland, as well as locations in neighboring Pennsylvania. But it seems like they would possibly consider a Hagerstown location, in either the former Macy's or Sears locations. Unless the arrival of Belk in the former Bon-Ton location would be considered too much similar competition. But Belk stores vary from moderate to upscale, especially their high end flagship locations.
It's true that management of the various stores can make or break customer sales. I've been to the Boscovs in Frederick, Md - not so great if you ever had a chance to compare it to the one at Park Ctr, Lancaster, Pa.

I did like this Bon Ton in Hagerstown a tad more than the one in Martinsburg though.
I had liked the Macy's in Hagerstown better than the one in Dulles (Va). It just seemed neater. You would think it would be the other way around.

Years back when I lived in Pa., did enough shopping at Boscov's. Remember parents buying several of their appliances from there and Sears as well.

Surprised Bon Ton in Martinsburg is still hanging in there. Wish them luck. Well, they don't have the other anchor stores to compete with in that area (Sears & JCP), just Walmart. Unless you drive across to the Commons. More places to eat than shop now in Martinsburg.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:24 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
I haven't heard anything in the last year or so but when I last heard the Frederick Boscovs had both the most volume and the highest profits of the chain.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:02 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,681 times
Not surprised Frederick does well. Boscov's is nuts to not go closer to the DC market and all its disposable income. B's is truly a unique store with a family feel (both in terms of staff and clients) that harkens back to the days when going to a department store was actually fun. Whether they could start and sustain that feeling in the DC area (I live in N. Silver Spring) would be a Q, though, IMHO. Also, what will happen now that its patriarch has passed on? I love to pass some time in B's but I've been burned by some of their so-called bargains that were also subpar in quality. Re Bon Ton, I have NEVER used a worse website (complete waste of my time) so I never wanted to go to the store. The Belk (it's small) in Westminster MD did not impress me. A lot of their house brands seemed cut for slim women and I am curvy (size 14). Most quality looked nice though.

Last edited by Tuneful; 12-30-2017 at 09:10 PM..

Old 12-31-2017, 12:12 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
And Bon-Ton is apparently on the brink of bankruptcy, and will continue to close more stores next year. It is speculated some of their stores in Maryland or Pennsylvania may be acquired by Belk or Boscov's. As for their Midwest brands it remains to be seen. Other stores include Elder-Beerman, Carson's, Younker's, Bergner's, Herbergers, and Boston Store.

While the department store sector is struggling, Belk seems to remain strong and in addition to the former Bon-Ton in Hagerstown, it has also recently converted a former Macy's in Bowling Green, Kentucky.
The first Boscov's was originally called The Boston Store before Al Boscov bought it.

Old 12-31-2017, 04:29 PM

I'm disappointed to see this Bon Ton replaced by Belk. While I've managed to find some things at Belk, I've done much better with Bon Ton and Boscov's.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:10 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuneful View Post
Not surprised Frederick does well. Boscov's is nuts to not go closer to the DC market and all its disposable income. B's is truly a unique store with a family feel (both in terms of staff and clients) that harkens back to the days when going to a department store was actually fun. Whether they could start and sustain that feeling in the DC area (I live in N. Silver Spring) would be a Q, though, IMHO. Also, what will happen now that its patriarch has passed on? I love to pass some time in B's but I've been burned by some of their so-called bargains that were also subpar in quality. Re Bon Ton, I have NEVER used a worse website (complete waste of my time) so I never wanted to go to the store. The Belk (it's small) in Westminster MD did not impress me. A lot of their house brands seemed cut for slim women and I am curvy (size 14). Most quality looked nice though.
I posted awhile ago that I wished Boscov's would move to this area - It's pretty far for me to drive to PA. Guessing that the real estate here is too expensive though (and to be honest, Boscov's isn't as good as it used to be - like most dept. stores now - buying the cheap garbage clothing and trying to sell it for much more than it's worth).

Old 05-19-2018, 09:02 PM

We were up there today. Noticed what was once Tilted Kilt, then Rustic Barrel is now closed. That was short-lived.

BJ's Brew House will be opening Monday, May 21st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland