Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 08:59 PM

32 posts, read 147,877 times

Advertisements

Hi, been trying to research the best options on the western shore for safety, medical care, beauty, access to cultural events, restaurants, etc. So far, it seems Annapolis is the hands down winner but very $$$ for waterview. What do those of you in the area think about Middle River, Crofton, Chesapeake Beach, California, Hollywood, Leonardtown, St Mary's?

What other towns do you suggest we check out?

I'd like to keep our entertainment commute to under 40 minutes, preferably a lot less, but will not be commuting for work on a daily basis. What's the coolest town that you enjoy living in or visiting?

Since we'll just have a week to visit, I really need your help in narrowing down our search. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 07:16 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,366,271 times
I like Ocean City, personally. Great beach, boardwalk, restraunts, bars... If you are buying property, as with anywhere near water, you'll pay a premium. However, OC is an undervalued waterfront area. People are really relaxed and pleasant, traffic is managable, but if you're spending time here I'd park somewhere and walk or cab.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:14 AM

110 posts, read 564,949 times
We live in MD and haven't been to Ocean City in probably over ten years. It's very crowded and a party town. As my husband says you are butt cheek to butt cheek on the beach. Some people really like it and go every year. It's on the Eastern shore right on the ocean. Definitely lots to do there but pricey. We head to North Carolina for our beach vacation usually. We went to Chesapeake Beach for the weekend last September and were pleasantly surprised. There's a water park and train museum and restaurants and shops. Not sure there is a week's worth of stuff to do but I haven't really researched the area. We were surprised to find anything there really. Beach was nice. We had stayed there because it was closest to Calvert Cliffs and my kids wanted to go fossil hunting. Middle River is okay. I can't rememeber the last time Miami Beach was open though. Not a week long place IMO. Lots to do in Annapolis. What beach would you go to....Sandy Point? The beach at Breezy Point in Chesapeake Beach is probably nicer. Guess it all depends on what you are looking for... Hope this helps!

Old 03-17-2008, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should have been more specific: we're looking for property to purchase for year round living and must move by April 30. Of course, if we can't find anything to buy, we will rent but we still need help in targeting areas to look.

I may be wrong, but it seems we will have much easier access to necessities and entertainment on the west side of the bay.

Okay, Marylanders, please help us by sharing your perspectives. Thanks.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:07 AM

385 posts, read 1,917,215 times
Quote:
...Middle River, Crofton, Chesapeake Beach, California, Hollywood, Leonardtown, St Mary's...
Middle River... No. It's near an airport and across the creek from Aberdeen Proving Grounds. I've heard it's very noisy at times. I would not consider the view very impressive either.

Crofton... Not waterfront (unless you consider a few manmade lakes 'waterfront')

Chesapeake Beach, California, Hollywood, Leonardtown... Don't know.

St. Mary's... very nice, though I don't know how long it would take to get to a good place for entertainment.

Annapolis has a lot to do, but you are right, it is expensive.

You may want to consider some place like Pasadena, there's waterfront property all over and it's close to Annapolis and Baltimore (and some of the other suburbs that have activities). You are also within a 20 minute drive to Arundel Mills. It has affordable housing (though if you want waterfront property, you will still pay a premium).

Old 03-17-2008, 11:16 AM

Thanks, 7th Heaven. I've reposted this as coastal question because some may think we're trying to get vacation beach area.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:17 AM

Oops, 7th Direction. Sorry!

Old 03-17-2008, 11:42 AM

127 posts, read 432,405 times
Crownsville has some nice areas too but kind of pricey, there's Salisbury, Cambridge, Easton, shady side, Deale, Riva, Cape St Claire, that's all I can think of right now, good luck.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:21 PM

No one picked up on the coastal thread yet, so I'll continue asking here.

Should we consider the eastern shore at all? I've read good things about Chestertown and Chesapeake City, but what about hospitals and medical resources? Do people on the eastern shore mostly rely on hospitals on the main side?

Old 03-17-2008, 02:25 PM

131 posts, read 692,037 times
When you talk about "beach towns" to Marylanders, we'll automatically think Ocean City, MD and the Delaware beach areas.

You might want to add Havre de Grace to your list if you're thinking waterfront and boating. That puts you closer to Baltimore with good doctors/hospitals and is considerably cheaper than Annapolis, but of course it's not Annapolis either.

And yes, medical care can be an issue on the Eastern Shore as with any area away from a major metropolitan area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland