Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 01:21 PM

69 posts, read 400,775 times

Advertisements

When you buy a new house, everything you pick out, from the cabinets to the flooring, to the windows, to the house color and style of the house, is put on a selection sheet and this sheet is gone over with you many times by the builder. You have to initial every thing you selected, and if married, both parties have to initial the selection. This initial is saying: yes, this is what I ordered and I am authorizing you to go ahead with this selection. Every thing you ordered has a color or a name, etc. You need to go back over your list and take it to the place where you selected the brick. Look at the numbers that were written down, and the numbers listed on the brick sample. Do they match? Ask to take the sample to your new home to compare it to the brick they put up, and hold the two bricks side by side. I know when you order paint and wallpaper, color lots change, but in your case the color shouldn't have changed so much that you actually hate it and that it doesn't look like what you ordered at all.

Something happened somewhere. Either numbers were transposed, they changed suppliers, etc.,and you need to get to the bottom of it. Everyone has new home horror stories, and I feel for you. Try buying a home and looking at the blueprints and the house front door is pointing in one direction, and then when the foundation is poured and pipes installed in the ground, your house is now facing in a different direction and your told "it wouldn't fit on the lot in that other direction and we have the right to turn it to fit on the lot". That happened to us, and in small print it was listed that the direction of the house could change depending on lot size.

In your case, you need to do some investigating. Put all your order sheets for upgrades and non-upgrades in order by date and check all the material (and brick) selection numbers. Get numbers to the company where they ordered your brick and talk to them. You do not want to paint brick. BAD IDEA! They owe you money if it is their error, but they usually go over this stuff many times and you have to initial EACH SELECTION. They owe you money if it is their fault, and if you hate it, get it replaced or you are never going to be happy in that house. Once you say, okay, I'll grow to love it, and you don't, it's too late. If you loved the other color better, make them change it. It is your house, and you deserve to be happy. Your making the house payments, they aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 04:23 PM

119 posts, read 260,694 times
I'd like to share my story with you. We had the exactly same situation as you. I posted a thread in this forum about 1 or 2 months ago asking for suggestions. Now it is pretty much worked out: we had a meeting with builder and brick vendor. They bring the sample from design center and compared it to our house. Everyone see a difference--not only the brick, but also the motar. So the builder asked me what I was expecting from this meeting. I told her: either you redo the brick, or, we will find some contractor to redo the brick, and you reimburse me. I am pretty firm and implied that this brick color is unacceptable to us. And after 3 days, they called me and said that they would redo the brick for me. Brick vendor will cover the cost. We than picked another brick color. They will take off the old one and put the new one on next week. Hope this helps.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,717 times
Demand builder place colored Stucco of your choice at no cost over brick and problem solved.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:06 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spatelrt View Post
Demand builder place colored Stucco of your choice at no cost over brick and problem solved.
I know you are a newbie, but this is a five year old posting. Check the dates first!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland