Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 10:07 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,588,355 times

Advertisements

Please Share Info About Grantsville With Me.....how Are The Schools, Realestate.......anything About The Area Wold Be Wonderful....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2006, 02:39 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,588,355 times
Default Grantsville? There Has To Be Someone Out There W/ Info About That Area........

Please Help.......looking For Info About Grantsville.......schools, Realestate.....the Area In General?..........is This A Nice Town?.........

Old 12-20-2006, 09:00 PM

21 posts, read 89,540 times
Default Grantsville

I was familiar with Grantsville, Garrett County, Maryland in the 70's. At that time I lived in Cumberland about 25 miles away. I was a State Police Cadet and had occasion to be in Grantsville on occasion. I periodically visited there up to about
1985. Grantsville was very, very rural and at that time the only buisness were on the main road, Route 40. The people in all of Western Maryland are wonderful. I still have friends there and I have been gone for over 25 years. The winters are very bad as compared to the rest of Maryland, but it is a beautiful area. In the fall you want to stare at the beautiful foilage all day. I cannot tell you what it is like today, but I have nothing but fond and pleasant memories. /s/ WL Athas

Old 12-21-2006, 09:51 AM

11 posts, read 87,749 times
Hi. I went to Frostburg State College (now University). Grantsville is about ten miles further west on 68. From what I remember, it's a very small town. In fact, it's hard to call it a town. I believe there's a motel, a gas station, a State Park, and maybe a local diner. Winters are bad, but the scenery is beautiful. If you like a small town in the mountains, Grantsville is it. It's about 20 minutes from Cumberland Maryland and maybe a half hour from Martinsburg WV.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,003 times
I lived in Grantsville in circa 1990-1992. I was 14 at the time. Grantsville is a scenic place, but if your kids have any experience living in large metropolitan areas like I had, school will be a tough place to be. I went to Northern Middle/High School during that time and it was rough. I was not a fan of the intrusive culture that comes from small communities, so I do have a little bias.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:50 AM

6,915 posts, read 11,165,627 times
Quick correction before I begin. Grantsville is about 30 miles from Cumberland, 40 miles from Morgantown,WV and a good 80 or 90 miles from Martinsburg, WV.

Grantsville is a small rural village in Garrett Co. About 600 hundred people in the town proper. Cumberland is closest city. It is a commercial center for the surronding agricultural countryside and has some light industry. The town is rural in the true sense of the word, not "rural" like many people define the small town exurbs of DC and Baltimore.

The schools are very good, Northern High especially. The weather will be warm and humid in the summer, but not nearly as bad as the rest of the state. The winters are cold, blustery and with a lot of snow, like 80+ inches a year.

The community, like all communities in Western Maryland, Grantsville is very close nit town. This is usually a positive thing, but as a previous contributor noted, can be negative if you are perceived as being an "outsider." The way to avoid this is ,of course, to be friendly and respect the culture and workings of the community. If you move in and act like you are superior to the locals because of money, education, or "big city" liberal beliefs than you will have a tough go of it. I hope this helped.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:51 PM

14 posts, read 78,267 times
City-data has a great feature on the home page to research specific city details. There is a lot of specific detail regarding Grantsville, Maryland as well. This link will take you right to it -

//www.city-data.com/city/Grantsville-Maryland.html

Old 02-04-2007, 10:00 PM

69 posts, read 393,066 times
Great post westsideboy! Western MD is different from the rest of MD, more like the Appalachain lifestyles. As someone from western MD, I would say Grantsville is a nice town. It is a rural area though. Cumberland is the closest town, and the there is mall on its outskirts. Morgantown, WV is close by too. It offers great shopping, and it is a college town. PA is close by too, and it's rural and quaint as well. If you are used to large urban areas, then you will experience culture shock. If you are used to a clean, rural area with lots of hills, then you shouldn't have a hard time adjusting.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:29 PM

3 posts, read 10,730 times
I'm new to Grantsville as of December 2006. Find a realtor in Frostburg - if you get one from Cumberland they notoriously try to get you to buy closer to the city and want you to spend no less than $250,000. Long story. Lots of places for sale here currently. The market is slow this time of the year - plus, real estate sales seem low here in general. It's a fairy decent little community. Rural atmosphere. Friendly country folks. Not a bad place.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:36 PM

4 posts, read 10,280 times
Default Grantsville...my hometown

I grew up in Grantsville and then left for school at Towson University and now live in Downtown Baltimore. Grantsville was a great place to grow up, and even for outsiders, once can fit in. My parents moved our family there when I was young, but they are very well known and accepted by everyone, but the key is not to judge. Just let people do what they do. It is a very conservative area, but there are liberals out there. The school system in Garrett County is amazing. Having lived there and then moving here and comparing schools, the public school system in Garrett County is like Free High End Private schools, except you don't get the name recognition. However, I always had books to take with me from every class, there was distance learning in the school, AP classes, music and art programs...from Elementary through High School (Northern) it was a great experience and I think it benefits everyone. If you are concerned with culture, they are building a new performance space at the Lake, and last I heard, the Symphony Orchestra in Pittsburgh will be playing in the summer and may make it a second home. Many people from Baltimore, Washington, DC and Pittsburgh have summer homes on the lake, about 20 minutes away. Anyhow, I think it is a great place for families and good things are happening there. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland