Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2018, 08:16 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,069,020 times

Advertisements

That is how much Maryland's economy will be losing while the Federal government remains in shutdown.

This is not due to the President either. The House passed a clean Continuing Resolution bill and sent it to the Senate. By "Clean", I mean there was nothing in the bill other than language to continue the government functioning until February 16, under the old budget. Even the Democrats support everything in the CR.

However, Senator Schumer, Senate Minority leader, wanted there to be something in it for the DACA recipients to give him a win of sorts. That would remove the adjective 'Clean' from the bill. So, he decided to hold the bill hostage in the same manner he is holding the 12 Appropriation bills the House has already passed and sent to the Senate hostage as well. He is filibustering the CR to keep it from being voted on, on the Senate floor. The only winners, simply stated, if Schumer gets his way, are non citizens, regardless of how or why they came to be here. Citizens be damned.

It takes 60 votes to end a filibuster, unless the member(s) responsible for the filibuster put an end to it themselves. That 60 vote requirement means a significant number of Democrats must vote to end the filibuster or it continues. Yeah, I know there was a small number of republican Senators that voted with the Democrats and a small number of Democrats (in tight elections this year) that voted with the Republicans. Give or take one vote they cancelled each other out.

Both Maryland Senators voted to maintain the shutdown by voting to keep the filibuster going. The Minority leader of the Senate, Schumer is leading the Democrats down this path to misery, and our Senators are supporting him over their constituents. Our own members of the Senate are hurting the state of Maryland. I certainly hope that the people of Maryland remember this when Cardin runs for re-election in November and Van Holland runs when his term is up. The Democrats are looking out for Democratic politicians, not voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 08:23 AM

Anybody who doesn't believe there is a filibuster going on, because they don't see a senator on C-Span talking until he drops has not been following what has been going on in government. A long while back the Senate rules were changed such that all they have to do is say that they are filibustering and everything comes to a halt until the stop filibustering or 60 votes are found to stop it. Mr Smith no longer has to be on the Senate floor with his thermos on his desk. In my opinion, whoever came up with the change did so out of laziness. It also gives the MSM opportunity to avoid reporting it as a filibuster when it suits their agenda.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:08 AM

Schumer blinked and backed off the filibuster. When you lose CNN as a supporter, it wakes you up, if you are a Democrat.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:29 AM

675 posts, read 720,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
That is how much Maryland's economy will be losing while the Federal government remains in shutdown.

This is not due to the President either. The House passed a clean Continuing Resolution bill and sent it to the Senate. By "Clean", I mean there was nothing in the bill other than language to continue the government functioning until February 16, under the old budget. Even the Democrats support everything in the CR.

However, Senator Schumer, Senate Minority leader, wanted there to be something in it for the DACA recipients to give him a win of sorts. That would remove the adjective 'Clean' from the bill. So, he decided to hold the bill hostage in the same manner he is holding the 12 Appropriation bills the House has already passed and sent to the Senate hostage as well. He is filibustering the CR to keep it from being voted on, on the Senate floor. The only winners, simply stated, if Schumer gets his way, are non citizens, regardless of how or why they came to be here. Citizens be damned.

It takes 60 votes to end a filibuster, unless the member(s) responsible for the filibuster put an end to it themselves. That 60 vote requirement means a significant number of Democrats must vote to end the filibuster or it continues. Yeah, I know there was a small number of republican Senators that voted with the Democrats and a small number of Democrats (in tight elections this year) that voted with the Republicans. Give or take one vote they cancelled each other out.

Both Maryland Senators voted to maintain the shutdown by voting to keep the filibuster going. The Minority leader of the Senate, Schumer is leading the Democrats down this path to misery, and our Senators are supporting him over their constituents. Our own members of the Senate are hurting the state of Maryland. I certainly hope that the people of Maryland remember this when Cardin runs for re-election in November and Van Holland runs when his term is up. The Democrats are looking out for Democratic politicians, not voters.
I agree 100%. When are Maryland residents going to wise up ? But the politicians still get paid ??? I am tired of my tax money going to what amounts to be a mutual admiration society. The only way to change this that I see is stop voting along party line and stop voting because of one candidate's race We need to organize to fight some of this ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland