Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 11:09 AM

172 posts, read 186,185 times

Advertisements

I just got a job where I will be covering mainly the larger cities in Delaware and the eastern shore of Maryland to include salisbury.

My question is will the commute be better from 19012 North West of Philadelphia or from Maryland closer to SouthEast DC 20746

Intetred in knowing traffic patterns from DC/MD to these areas tolls or ways to avoid tolls, and when I must start trying to get back to the Suitland MD 20746 area to beat rush hour traffic

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 11:42 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurebeachguy View Post
I just got a job where I will be covering mainly the larger cities in Delaware
and the eastern shore of Maryland to include salisbury.
So... where on the eastern shore do you plan to move to?

Quote:
My question is will the commute be better...
If it's avoided altogether? You bet!

Maybe limited to the month or so it takes to choose a new home? Fair enough.
Maybe find a 'housemate' situation over there for the work week until...? If you have to.
But planning to continue to commute from So Md or Philly? No.
---

Beyond the commute logistics the deeper Q is doing well in the job.
Not living on the shore will hurt your sales.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:47 AM

789 posts, read 1,095,118 times
Quote:
I just got a job where I will be covering mainly the larger cities in Delaware and the eastern shore of Maryland to include salisbury.

My question is will the commute be better from 19012 North West of Philadelphia or from Maryland closer to SouthEast DC 20746

Intetred in knowing traffic patterns from DC/MD to these areas tolls or ways to avoid tolls, and when I must start trying to get back to the Suitland MD 20746 area to beat rush hour traffic

Thanks
To be honest, Annapolis might be a better option than either of these.

But I'd say SE DC. I can get from Ocean City to Benning Road in exactly 2 and a half hours in evening rush hour. Getting up to King of Prussia? Closer to 4 hours. That whole Wilmington > Philly corridor sucks way more than Annapolis > DC, if that makes sense.

Plus there is only one toll: the Bay Bridge. The price never changes and there is no alternative to miss out on, unlike the various tolls around Delaware and Philly.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:25 PM

I do not want to live in the eastern shore maryland the Dc area is just as far.

I hear my business may only be concentrated in certain areas like Newark or Wilmington which will be easy from Philly, eh?

I can save a lot of money driving in everyday from Philly and will pay only 500/600 a month for rent with utilities. I am trying to save money and will have a company car.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:07 PM

789 posts, read 1,095,118 times
Quote:
I do not want to live in the eastern shore maryland the Dc area is just as far.

I hear my business may only be concentrated in certain areas like Newark or Wilmington which will be easy from Philly, eh?

I can save a lot of money driving in everyday from Philly and will pay only 500/600 a month for rent with utilities. I am trying to save money and will have a company car.
Annapolis is not on the eastern shore. If urban culture is what you crave, why not Wilmington? Or Baltimore?

You have a strange set of circumstances, and I'm not sure they are clearly laid out here. Why don't you ask your employer? IDK something just sounds fishy.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:43 PM

Fishy? Perhaps you are craving crab cakes. lol

Rent in Philly is $500 a month (where I have a home). This is why I want to commute from Philly.

Philly will be closer to Delaware where most of the account will be located.

Baltimore or DC rent will be $1000 or more.

There you have it...

Old 01-23-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Rent in Philly is $500 a month (where I have a home).
This is why I (need) to commute from Philly.
Lease or Own?

Not that you would have to decide tomorrow but one or the other has to give.
Move to where the work is or find work where you already live.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:15 PM

Its Owned... paid off, my plan was to keep the job and keep looking and commute until i find something local.

I wanted to rent a room, but most people are trying to get someone to pay off their mortgage or pay their rent - which I am not doing.

I may place and add and tell folks what I am seeking and see what hits my mail box.

But most people who are renting rooms may not be easy to live with to be honest.

Perfect situation is rent a room during the week only. If I commute I am sure I will find a local job within 6 months.

Last edited by Treasurebeachguy; 01-23-2018 at 03:26 PM..

Old 01-24-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Its Owned... paid off, my plan was to keep the job
and keep looking and commute until i find something local.
Unless the job pays really well... I'd suggest taking even a lesser job if it's local.
The net difference after all the travel expense and wear on the car is likely marginal.

Focus more on the company and future potential rather than this weeks check.
The hiring situation has improved a LOT recently. Find yours.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Unless the job pays really well... I'd suggest taking even a lesser job if it's local.
The net difference after all the travel expense and wear on the car is likely marginal.

Focus more on the company and future potential rather than this weeks check.
The hiring situation has improved a LOT recently. Find yours.
There is a Company car and gas card involved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland