Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2018, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,001 times

Advertisements

Hello- we are moving to Maryland this year for my husband's job (in Columbia). My 6 year old has mild autism. We are looking for recommendations about school districts that have good special education services, as well as all-around good schools. We are also a little confused about the school ratings in Howard County - we've been told that all HoCo schools are good but many don't have ratings that are that good. Is this due to the achievement gap? Any help will be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 09:05 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
I'd suggest you reach out to the Howard County Autism Society; they also have a Facebook group. Main Index - Howard County Autism Society Different folks have different experiences of schools and you'll get more personal stories there. My child has PDD-NOS and once we got a 504 we did fine in the elementary school she attended, but I know folks with an autism diagnosis who felt strongly that the same elementary did not provide the support they needed. Yes, the difference in Howard County schools is very much driven by the achievement gap. Also, note that because of growth the Howard County schools redistrict fairly frequently, and you can't count on attending the school that was your assignment at the time you buy a property. The next redistricting will probably be when the new elementary school near Turf Valley opens.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:38 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,303,445 times
I live and work in Howard County (and have contacts with the HoCo Autism Society if you need recommendations message me).

Don't get too hung up on the school ratings; I know its easier said than done when you're evaluating an unknown area. They only measure the state test scores, nothing else. The curriculum is more or less the same across the county. Additionally, due to years of growth outpacing infrastructure development, we are treated to "redistricting" every couple of years. People buy in one neighborhood because they want their kids to go to "xyz" school only to have that neighborhood moved to a different school. The boundary lines don't necessarily make logical sense; they're supposed to keep contiguous neighborhoods together and factor into balancing FARM numbers but that has not been true across the board. This is a very big hot button issue right now in Howard County.

That said, I'm happy with the schools and love Howard County. I know people with kids in "high performing" schools who are miserable and many others in "lower ranked" schools who are thriving. And many people move into the district with kids on the autism spectrum. My own kids have IEPs/504s. Its such a big, diverse district with so many resources. Have you been able to visit any of the schools you're considering? I think its great to stop in and talk with the principal or guidance counselor if you're able. If you're coming from out of state, I'd consider renting for a year to get your feet wet and learn about the different villages of Columbia.

Welcome!

Old 10-04-2021, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,651 times
Hello,
We are currently looking at moving into the county this year and would love resources about which schools are best for autistic kids (our kid is autistic and non-verbal). Any referral to the HoCo Autism Society would be appreciated.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: