Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2018, 01:59 PM

265 posts, read 502,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunglo1 View Post
You're joking right, if not ,you're an Idiot that needs to go back to whatever dump you came from! I was just up at Ellicott city this past weekend, great place and had a great time. I found parking on the main drag within 5 min of driving down main street, no issues! Great breweries and food there along with a nice open funky vibe. Everybody I ran into there was great. Also , Its a very historic place to go wine and dine , not made for living full time, and its not a city. You sound very much like your from Pissburgh!
If your just visiting yeah EC might be nice. Pittsburgh, hmm. No. There are a few places in EC but for the most part, not really great. Must have been your lucky day.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Correct, Ellicott City is not a real city, if by "city" you're thinking of places like New York. Anyone who comes here expecting Manhattan, based on the name, is going to be disappointed. Would it be better if it were called Ellicott Mills or something?

Parking on Main Street is free. It's also timed. If you park longer than your allowed time, you are subject to being ticketed. This is not something that is unique to Ellicott City.

Not excusing aggressive cyclists, but in their defense, Main Street is so narrow that the only place they can go is in the traffic lane. Blame the narrow topography for this one.

In what ways do the merchants support the parking "bait and switch"? My understanding is that they have lobbied for free parking and expansion of parking availability.

Route 40 isn't the most scenic of drives, I can't deny that one. (It isn't any prettier in the OP's hometown of Catonsville.) And we all have our favorite Bad Asian Driver stories. 'Nuff said. If it's Asians you wish to avoid, I would agree, Ellicott City is not for you.

The county does spend a lot of money on libraries, that's true. But public safety isn't being shortchanged, as far as I can tell. Have you seen the big new fire station that just opened in Elkridge? Different town, sure, but they serve the eastern part of Ellicott City.

Traffic on Routes 29 and 100 . . . yeah, can't argue with that one.

All of this is to say, Ellicott City is not the place for the OP. Hopefully Catonsville is more to his liking. But plenty of other people do like Ellicott City, even with its flaws.
I have a few Asian friends and they admit they are bad drivers, that is why I said that. And seen it in person on the roads. Don't get me wrong there are other drivers just as bad esp around the Chatham Mall.
The ELK firehouse was needed, population growth in that area.
I known someone who has a shop and overheard him one day talking to his assistant about it.
Catonsville is getting a bit scary too, but old town Catonsville with the big homes are still nice.

Last edited by dad2paisley; 04-17-2018 at 02:15 PM..

Old 04-17-2018, 02:04 PM

34,106 posts, read 18,343,082 times
Boy, I haven't been to Ellicott City in maybe 30 years or so. I remember it as being a quaint little town, with some nice restaurants. I always had a good time there.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Boy, I haven't been to Ellicott City in maybe 30 years or so. I remember it as being a quaint little town, with some nice restaurants. I always had a good time there.
It's not the same anymore. No more rolling hills or many farms. Just a few farms left. Traffic, crime, population boom, strip malls, and housing on just about all the land, traffic all times of day and night. Shame HOCO use to be a nice rural area, but not anymore. The politicians probably are happy with all the growth, they can collect all the high taxes. The schools are ok but not great. Only a few are really great i.e Reservoir high school, Centennial. Even in Western HoCo it's built up with big mansions.

Last edited by dad2paisley; 04-17-2018 at 02:46 PM..

Old 04-17-2018, 02:45 PM

15,102 posts, read 27,541,944 times
OP - you've obviously never liked much of anything about MD - you really are free to move to a state you might find more to your liking.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:56 PM

789 posts, read 1,084,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2paisley View Post
Catonsville is getting a bit scary too
Case closed lol.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:04 PM

6,908 posts, read 11,158,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunglo1 View Post
You're joking right, if not ,you're an Idiot that needs to go back to whatever dump you came from! I was just up at Ellicott city this past weekend, great place and had a great time. I found parking on the main drag within 5 min of driving down main street, no issues! Great breweries and food there along with a nice open funky vibe. Everybody I ran into there was great. Also , Its a very historic place to go wine and dine , not made for living full time, and its not a city. You sound very much like your from Pissburgh!
So you respond to somebody bashing a city without purpose or reason...........by bashing another city.

At any rate, Pittsburgh is an awesome city. Go Buccos!

Old 04-17-2018, 04:13 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,238,871 times
Old Town Ellicott City is awesome, one of my favorite places. So happy to see it recovering. If you can't find the charm in an area like that, and the amazing homes up the hill behind Main Street where you can see the river while still being in town, that's on you not the place.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:09 AM

182 posts, read 243,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
So you respond to somebody bashing a city without purpose or reason...........by bashing another city.

At any rate, Pittsburgh is an awesome city. Go Buccos!

umm, no its not ! lol I go there all the time. Some of the people are very nice though. Its hilly, bleak, and dreary. That's why some many from there are here !

Old 04-18-2018, 06:11 AM

182 posts, read 243,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2paisley View Post
If your just visiting yeah EC might be nice. Pittsburgh, hmm. No. There are a few places in EC but for the most part, not really great. Must have been your lucky day.
Don't think so, I go there about one time a month, if not more. Like I said, its not a city ;its a place to go wine and dine some! You should go back to where you came from!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland