Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 02:20 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,640,301 times

Advertisements

Career politicians are a curse. They embed themselves like ticks into the body politic and suck it dry. I routinely vote against any incumbent now, unless they’re still on a second term. I’ll give them that. After that, they all need to be flushed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 05:38 PM

182 posts, read 247,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunglo1 View Post
Someone should give him a fast foot up his ass as he leaves! Thanks to lovely people like this in Annapolis you have one of the biggest tax burdens in the county, (Democrat Party) so for all the big supporters on this blog, I want to you to thank this jackass -and people like him- when you go to do your taxes, and when you look at your pay check, and check out how 70% of our taxes goes out to the ridiculous education bureaucracy we have here in lovely Maryland. Oh, and lets not forget the funding for the shooting gallery called Baltimore city. Yes lets thank this Nitwit, great job!
Forgot a few things, our high property and piggyback taxes;oh ,an of course the rain tax! Yea, the sad thing is D-bags like Miller will be in till they kick the bucket , unless a miracle happens and the GOP gets a better hold on the state.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:59 PM

7,021 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Well, it is normal for the in-district people to love having representative in state leadership.

It is also normal for people out-of-district to see the benefits being funneled to these places, and to be upset about it.

That's how it was when Cas Taylor was Speaker of the House. He was loved in Cumberland, loathed by our neighbors very close by. Still a bit surprised to this day that people in Washington County didn't see the immense benefit he would have brought their communities over...............Leroy Myers..............but no dice. Those people would vote for Mickey Mouse if he ran under the elephant banner. Ahead of their time perhaps?

Old 04-25-2018, 07:03 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunglo1 View Post
Forgot a few things, our high property and piggyback taxes;oh ,an of course the rain tax! Yea, the sad thing is D-bags like Miller will be in till they kick the bucket , unless a miracle happens and the GOP gets a better hold on the state.
The rain tax is gone,move on.Thank your ex Governor for that.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yes, but the first duty of every elected representative at every level is to the people in his district.

Someone in another thread mentioned that I know a goodly number of Maryland officials, which is true. But knowing a lot of them isn't as important as knowing, and being on good terms with, the right ones. Miller is one of those.

Maryland, like most if not all states and unlike the federal government, has to have a balanced budget. So when it starts to hand out discretionary spending, which accounts for only 18% of the budget because the rest is already mandated to go here or there, like with the bond bills you have to have someone to shepherd that request through the process which ends at the Board of Public Works (Governor, Comptroller, (State Treasurer) for approval or denial.
To bad many of you don't remember Louis Goldstein, now there was a MD politician!!! Again he was someone O met through my job at the time and met him many more times after that and he remember my name ...that always surprised me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_L._Goldstein

Old 04-25-2018, 08:14 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
To bad many of you don't remember Louis Goldstein, now there was a MD politician!!! Again he was someone O met through my job at the time and met him many more times after that and he remember my name ...that always surprised me.

I wish Louis would have lived another month. Then it would be too late to take him off the ballot and he would have won from the grave!

Old 04-25-2018, 09:47 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
You can thank Mike Miller for obstructing any attempt to re-draw the ridiculously gerrymandered U.S. Congressional districts which extremely favor Democrats. One of these Congressional districts actually stretches all the way from Ocean City west to Taneytown (on border of Carroll and Frederick counties).

A friend of mine said that Miller once ordered state police cars to block all the intersections on Route 5 in order to clear a path for a procession of alumni to drive to their Surrattsville high school class reunion picnic, held down at Point Lookout.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
You can thank Mike Miller for obstructing any attempt to re-draw the ridiculously gerrymandered U.S. Congressional districts which extremely favor Democrats. One of these Congressional districts actually stretches all the way from Ocean City west to Taneytown (on border of Carroll and Frederick counties).

A friend of mine said that Miller once ordered state police cars to block all the intersections on Route 5 in order to clear a path for a procession of alumni to drive to their Surrattsville high school class reunion picnic, held down at Point Lookout.
No, never happen but people do like to make things up.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:13 AM

45,402 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
The rain tax is gone,move on.Thank your ex Governor for that.
Thank O'Malley for imposing it or thank him for eliminating it? Yes to the first but it Hogan was who got rid of it. The rain tax was a bogus issue in any case. I am absolutely not a fan of Martin O'Malley, I can't stand even being in the same very large room with him, but what people don't understand is that every single jurisdiction in the state collects a "rain tax" in some form , it was just that the O'Malley Administration mandated that those 9 Counties have a separate revenue line item for it. The TMDL and WIP requirements are still in place, still being enforced and still costing a crap ton of money.

Quote:

Never fear, I remember him. His son just sold his main estate down here for development.

Did you get one of his "God Bless Y'All Real Good" coins?

Old 04-26-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Thank O'Malley for imposing it or thank him for eliminating it? Yes to the first but it Hogan was who got rid of it. The rain tax was a bogus issue in any case. I am absolutely not a fan of Martin O'Malley, I can't stand even being in the same very large room with him, but what people don't understand is that every single jurisdiction in the state collects a "rain tax" in some form , it was just that the O'Malley Administration mandated that those 9 Counties have a separate revenue line item for it. The TMDL and WIP requirements are still in place, still being enforced and still costing a crap ton of money.

Never fear, I remember him. His son just sold his main estate down here for development.

Did you get one of his "God Bless Y'All Real Good" coins?

I know it was Hogan who got rid of it,not a fan of Martin myself. Rumor years ago was that Louis had all the property on the Calvert side of the bay so when they build a "second" bay bridge it would have to go through him. Yes I did ,the company I worked for at the time was always having some sort of party or meetings and he was always there ,he always remembered my first name and that I had come to Maryland from NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland