Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 11:57 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
It is a bad place to retire, COL and taxes are far from what a retiree would like. It’s crowded in many areas, even the area we moved to 20 some years ago, which was supposedly the sticks. It’s a horrible state for business. Ask Bechtel, White Oak Semiconductor, Fairchild, Beretta, etc., etc. I don’t associate with people much so have little opinion about folks here based on personal contact, however, it’s a very wealthy state and that can affect the interactions people have. It’s a very political state and very well educated in many areas so people tend to have high opinions of their opinions. Baltimore is a cesspool and is leaking. So, it’s easy to see why some folks do not like it here but I see no conspiracy of hate.
McCormick
W.R. Grace
T. Rowe Price
Legg Mason
Under Armour
Amazon Distribution
Johns Hopkins (The largest private employer in the state)
Martin Marietta
Proctor & Gamble
And a whole lot more

Move down south, or into the rust belt. My Cousin, and his Mother after she retired moved to Archbold Ohio.

I find it amusing that US News ranks Maryland 16 for healthcare. Based in large part on outcomes of mostly poor black city residents. Asinine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 12:36 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,772 times
It is likely that if one were to look at the forums for each of the other states one would find a similar collection of angry people who hate where they live. Angry, unhappy people are more likely to post on internet forums than happy people, so they often seem to be a larger percentage of the population than they really are.

Another thing I have noticed is that many people who come to Maryland from other places, usually because of work, seem to be angry because Maryland is not exactly like "home" or some other place they consider ideal. They seem to be unwilling to consider "different" as anything other than "awful." If they happen to be having difficulties in their work, they somehow blame Maryland for all their problems. You really can't do anything with people like that other than try to avoid them. I moved to Maryland from California over 40 years ago and much prefer it here. I have always understood that I was free to leave if I chose. I'm still here.

I sometimes suspect that the people who complain the loudest about Maryland (or whatever other state they live in) would not be happy anywhere. Their unhappiness comes from within, not from wherever it is they are living.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:04 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
You should know.
I see you are using the nanny nanny boo-boo defense, very mature of you.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
McCormick
W.R. Grace
T. Rowe Price
Legg Mason
Under Armour
Amazon Distribution
Johns Hopkins (The largest private employer in the state)
Martin Marietta
Proctor & Gamble
And a whole lot more

Move down south, or into the rust belt. My Cousin, and his Mother after she retired moved to Archbold Ohio.

I find it amusing that US News ranks Maryland 16 for healthcare. Based in large part on outcomes of mostly poor black city residents. Asinine.
You need to go around the state then, There are plenty of poor all around Maryland from the Southern part of the state up into Washington county and they are not all black.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:54 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
You need to go around the state then, There are plenty of poor all around Maryland from the Southern part of the state up into Washington county and they are not all black.
I knew that was coming. And from mr roll eyes himself..

Old 08-13-2018, 03:31 AM

Quote:
I knew that was coming. And from mr roll eyes himself..

So you agree, good.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:16 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
So opinions posted on a message board is not considered "fake news"? Dear Lord...

Old 08-15-2018, 11:40 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
It is likely that if one were to look at the forums for each of the other states one would find a similar collection of angry people who hate where they live. Angry, unhappy people are more likely to post on internet forums than happy people, so they often seem to be a larger percentage of the population than they really are.

Another thing I have noticed is that many people who come to Maryland from other places, usually because of work, seem to be angry because Maryland is not exactly like "home" or some other place they consider ideal. They seem to be unwilling to consider "different" as anything other than "awful." If they happen to be having difficulties in their work, they somehow blame Maryland for all their problems. You really can't do anything with people like that other than try to avoid them. I moved to Maryland from California over 40 years ago and much prefer it here. I have always understood that I was free to leave if I chose. I'm still here.

I sometimes suspect that the people who complain the loudest about Maryland (or whatever other state they live in) would not be happy anywhere. Their unhappiness comes from within, not from wherever it is they are living.
I think your post is spot on, especially the bold-faced lines.

We're looking at retiring in a few years, so I periodically peruse several state forums that are on our shortlist and yes, these same complaints and gripes are universal.

I have a relative who was always lamenting how bad their old state was and how they couldn't wait to leave and move to their current home state.

After a few years, guess what?

Right, their current home state is so awful and terrible and they can't wait to leave it for the next state (wherever they eventually decide).

Some people just don't understand or believe "the grass is always greener" concept.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:11 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I think your post is spot on, especially the bold-faced lines.

We're looking at retiring in a few years, so I periodically peruse several state forums that are on our shortlist and yes, these same complaints and gripes are universal.

Yup. I've been doing the same, for the same reasons, and it's interesting how universal the complaints and gripes are. Crime, taxes, traffic, rudeness, etc. No matter how urban or rural or what the actual COL is, it's all the same.

When I moved to Baltimore from the Seattle area, I was amazed at how nice people were, and how easy it was to talk to people. It was like the biggest little town I'd ever been to. So to hear that people say that Marylanders are rude is a bit of a shock. I've never encountered that in any part of MD, and I've traveled around it quite a bit, from Cumberland to Lookout Point to Salisbury and everyplace in between. Traffic can be bad at times, but I've been in worse in other urban or suburban areas of the country.

I believe that life is what you make of it, no matter where you are. And if you are running into mostly rude people and bad situations, you might want to start by looking in the mirror. Because that's where you'll find the common denominator.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:48 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Yup. I've been doing the same, for the same reasons, and it's interesting how universal the complaints and gripes are. Crime, taxes, traffic, rudeness, etc. No matter how urban or rural or what the actual COL is, it's all the same.

When I moved to Baltimore from the Seattle area, I was amazed at how nice people were, and how easy it was to talk to people. It was like the biggest little town I'd ever been to. So to hear that people say that Marylanders are rude is a bit of a shock. I've never encountered that in any part of MD, and I've traveled around it quite a bit, from Cumberland to Lookout Point to Salisbury and everyplace in between. Traffic can be bad at times, but I've been in worse in other urban or suburban areas of the country.

I believe that life is what you make of it, no matter where you are. And if you are running into mostly rude people and bad situations, you might want to start by looking in the mirror. Because that's where you'll find the common denominator.

I've been out of MD for almost 2 years now. It took a while for me to really narrow down what was making me so unhappy about living in MD (Southern MD specifically). The cost of living was outrageous for what you got. The traffic was terrible and the development just seemed all out of whack for how high the incomes are. There were a bunch of chain restaurants, terrible local restaurants, an average at best movie theater and just very little to do in general. Traffic was the #1 issue for me looking back.

I did a lot of research and finally found a place that alleviated all of the things that were driving me crazy about living in MD. I'm much happier now that I'm out of MD, much happier than I even though I was capable of being actually. I think there are plenty of people that move and are happier where they end up, they just aren't as vocal about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland