Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 06:31 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/poll-...-race/22716945

Interesting numbers.

I like the "Won't vote for Hogan because ………………………...Trump".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 07:34 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
I like him,Hogan. I am not holding him responsible becuase the cheeto in the WH is a jerk.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:14 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Yeah I'm a Democrat who hates President Trump as much as anyone but I also support Governor Hogan and will vote for him again.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:16 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
https://www.wbaltv.com/article/poll-...-race/22716945

Interesting numbers.

I like the "Won't vote for Hogan because ………………………...Trump".
They probably don’t even know what they’re talking about. If they don’t like Trump, they have a friend in Hogan.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v1pgX-...ature=youtu.be

He also recently said he would not support SCOTUS nominee Kavanaugh. He’s not a Republican Party guy.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:43 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,688,552 times
I think Baker would have had a real shot. Jealous? Certainly less so. He'll have to hammer "REPUBLICAN" into everyone's head and also drive home the point that Hogan would have control over judicial appointments and redistricting. You have to repeat over and over that there's a serious threat in allowing a Republican so much power in a time of unchecked GOP control, nationally. That's his only argument with legs, as far as I can see.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
I think Baker would have had a real shot. Jealous? Certainly less so. He'll have to hammer "REPUBLICAN" into everyone's head and also drive home the point that Hogan would have control over judicial appointments and redistricting. You have to repeat over and over that there's a serious threat in allowing a Republican so much power in a time of unchecked GOP control, nationally. That's his only argument with legs, as far as I can see.
Except anyone with a lick of sense, or rather who pays attention, knows that Maryland Judges at all levels are appointed by the Governor from a list of candidates generated from a nominating commission and confirmed by the State Senate and then must run for retention at the next general election. That's a non-partisan election, as are all judicial elections, with the exception of Orphan's Court Judges, who run for election every four years.

Court of Appeals (Maryland's Supreme Court)

https://ballotpedia.org/Maryland_Court_of_Appeals

All the levels

https://ballotpedia.org/Judicial_selection_in_Maryland

I think Jealous will be close when the votes are counted.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Except anyone with a lick of sense, or rather who pays attention
You are seriously overestimating the average voter.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
You are seriously overestimating the average voter.
Hey now, most of them have graduated from a Maryland high school where they had to pass a mandated Local, State and National Government class and exit exam in order to graduate (he said with more than a little sarcasm).

No, what I think is that, except for the hard core at both ends, judicial appointments don't really play all that much into elections at either the state or federal levels.

I will grant you that the Supreme Court pending vacancies probably played a larger than normal part in the 2016 Presidential election.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
No, what I think is that, except for the hard core at both ends, judicial appointments don't really play all that much into elections at either the state or federal levels.

I will grant you that the Supreme Court pending vacancies probably played a larger than normal part in the 2016 Presidential election.
Generally I'd agree, but Kavanagh and Roe are going to be enough of a focus this fall that I think it's an easy issue to latch onto. Jealous can't just rely on Trump's unpopularity. He needs to pose the broader question of whether Marylanders want a Republican governor in charge of Congressional districting and judicial appointments at a time when a Republican-controlled Congress is installing a conservative Supreme Court. Hogan is doing everything he can to distance himself from the national GOP and Jealous needs to do everything he can to not allow that to happen. Because if the race is simply Jealous throwing around random policy ideas and Hogan laughing at him then there's zero chance the incumbent loses.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:04 PM

Except that 'Kavanaugh is a menace" isn't gaining traction with any but the deranged. Hell, even Cardin has said he's highly qualified but will still vote against him. Van Hollen has said much the same. You've said complimentary things about Hogan and approved of much of what he's done and I have the feeling you'll still vote for Jealous.

The only people talking about overturning Roe are Democrats. If it even comes before the Court, even as it's constituted now, the only decision will be that states can control but not ban abortions.

Unless something goes seriously awry Kavanaugh will be sworn in and seated before the first Monday in October and will be ancient history by election day.

Why I think Jealous will make it close is he'll play on the guilt some Democrats have for voting for Hogan last time instead of Brown.

I've heard some SoMD Democrats, who generally tend more conservative than the I95 ones, say that they like Hogan but feel bad about Brown 4 years ago and are planning to atone this year for voting for Hogan then. These are Democrats who are usually a bit more conservative than Atilla the Hun in their politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland