Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 03:24 PM

420 posts, read 469,738 times

Advertisements

I see nice houses for sale for under $50K yet the way the city looks as if no one there really gets along with any new comers?

Is this the side of Western MD where the oil and gas exploration was said to have happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 03:30 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
That's because that there are few newcomers. Those who do go there tend to the nouveau riche from the wealthier parts of Maryland (and elsewhere) who are more going to Deep Creek for summer homes. There is a cohort of people who've moved to the area to be closer to their relatives who are staying in one of the Maryland owned single and double room occupancy gated condos that have been built in the region.

Industry and mining have pretty much left the area as it has in a lot of Appalachia.

I thought you got banned.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:05 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
I see nice houses for sale for under $50K yet the way the city looks as if no one there really gets along with any new comers?

Is this the side of Western MD where the oil and gas exploration was said to have happened?
The Marcellus Shale beds are immediately to the west of Cumberland in the high mountains of the Alleghenies. Think Frostburg and Garrett County for Maryland's gas region.

I have no idea what you mean by "no one there really gets along with any new comers."

Cumberland is an insular, rather isolated place in a lot of ways........but it is also a city of about 20k people. We have population turnover, and in general are friendly people. Cumberland is the kind of town where strangers talk you up in the line at the market, help you change your flat tire, etc.

It really comes down to the individual. If a person accepts the way we live, and wants join in, they will do great. If a person comes to town full of stereotypes of mountain people, or complaints about our community, they will likely find themselves on the outside looking in fast.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:32 PM

387 posts, read 515,609 times
Stopped in Cumberland for the day / night. Sad to see Downtown with so many vacant stores. Didn’t do much but walk the downtown area, maybe the most depressing downtown area I’ve ever visited. Such a beautiful setting for a historical town, just a couple of bars, restaurants, second hand stores and McDonalds.I read an an article that stated Cumberland, Md is the poorest town/city in the state. Checked the real estate prices, you can certainly find some low priced houses. I also learned you can’t always trust google or yelp on hotel reviews...Love to see Cumberland rebound...

Old 09-11-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john-staten island View Post
Stopped in Cumberland for the day / night. Sad to see Downtown with so many vacant stores. Didn’t do much but walk the downtown area, maybe the most depressing downtown area I’ve ever visited. Such a beautiful setting for a historical town, just a couple of bars, restaurants, second hand stores and McDonalds.I read an an article that stated Cumberland, Md is the poorest town/city in the state. Checked the real estate prices, you can certainly find some low priced houses. I also learned you can’t always trust google or yelp on hotel reviews...Love to see Cumberland rebound...
Thanks for the post. Can I inquire as to which hotel you stayed out, and what specifically was amiss (or underrated?)

As a local, I don't ever stay in the hotels in the area and with so many new ones opening in the last 5 years, it would be helpful to know which ones guests like, and which ones they don't. Thanks.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:00 PM

387 posts, read 515,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Thanks for the post. Can I inquire as to which hotel you stayed out, and what specifically was amiss (or underrated?)

As a local, I don't ever stay in the hotels in the area and with so many new ones opening in the last 5 years, it would be helpful to know which ones guests like, and which ones they don't. Thanks.
I enjoy reading your helpful insights to Cumberland, spot on info is a great help to travelers/visitors like me. I stayed at the Ramada downtown.We were driving up from Georgia, stopped at a rest area to pick a place to stay.Having driven 68 before and passing by Cumberland it really interested me. I did the usual google /yelp search and this hotel looked good, great location, pictures were nice updated rooms, breakfast, walk the town.I checked in at 3pm, room wasn't as described but I'm not real fussy and price was fair. We walked down Baltimore St. and I thought wow, pretty pedestrian mall..But many of the stores were empty, we walked around the Historic district, Canal,etc.and stopped at the Baltimore Grill. Busy bar, folks were very nice, cold beer and good food.Continued our stroll over to the plaza with Sav A lot, Roses,etc back to the downtown for a second look. Reminded me of Bristol, Tn, beautiful old buildings from a differant era, that time has passed by.Town has Amtrak a big plus, mountains, bike trails, nice location to the big cities.I'd love to see an influx of small business in Cumberland's downtown,lots of potential I believe. I'm not knocking the hotel, its possible we got a room that wasn't renovated as the photo's depicted, tv worked, hot water in the shower, nice staff at the front desk, and price was okay, we skipped the breakfast.My wife dug a little deeper into the google reviews and they were consistant with our experience....some okay, some not....

Old 09-12-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john-staten island View Post
I enjoy reading your helpful insights to Cumberland, spot on info is a great help to travelers/visitors like me. I stayed at the Ramada downtown.We were driving up from Georgia, stopped at a rest area to pick a place to stay.Having driven 68 before and passing by Cumberland it really interested me. I did the usual google /yelp search and this hotel looked good, great location, pictures were nice updated rooms, breakfast, walk the town.I checked in at 3pm, room wasn't as described but I'm not real fussy and price was fair. We walked down Baltimore St. and I thought wow, pretty pedestrian mall..But many of the stores were empty, we walked around the Historic district, Canal,etc.and stopped at the Baltimore Grill. Busy bar, folks were very nice, cold beer and good food.Continued our stroll over to the plaza with Sav A lot, Roses,etc back to the downtown for a second look. Reminded me of Bristol, Tn, beautiful old buildings from a differant era, that time has passed by.Town has Amtrak a big plus, mountains, bike trails, nice location to the big cities.I'd love to see an influx of small business in Cumberland's downtown,lots of potential I believe. I'm not knocking the hotel, its possible we got a room that wasn't renovated as the photo's depicted, tv worked, hot water in the shower, nice staff at the front desk, and price was okay, we skipped the breakfast.My wife dug a little deeper into the google reviews and they were consistant with our experience....some okay, some not....
The Ramada is the oldest hotel in town. Thanks for the info on incomplete renovation, my only talking point for it is "ask for a room on the side opposite the tracks unless you like to hear trains outside your window all night."

The plan is to open back up the pedestrian mall to traffic in phases over the next decade or so. Many, myself included, feel that it is too hard for out-of-town people to find since bricking it over has lead to a traffic pattern that diverts traffic AWAY from the downtown we wish people to visit. The plan is to leave enough space for outdoor dining, but create a one way street so traffic flows through, and the street is busier.

I am glad you enjoyed the Baltimore St. Grille. It is a very successful businesss downtown. We have a few of them, but as you notice, they are outnumbered by vacant buildings, many of which are cleverly disguised so they don't look vacant. Centre St., a cross street to Baltimore St., has some thriving small businesses, a book store, a tea shop, a hippy shop, a vape shop, and a few others. That street is open to traffic, which is why there is hope opening up Baltimore St. will have the same impact.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:14 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
I was always under the impression that when Kelly Springfield closed their tire plant that had a dramatic effect on the city and it hasn't really recovered.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I was always under the impression that when Kelly Springfield closed their tire plant that had a dramatic effect on the city and it hasn't really recovered.
We were in decline about 30 years prior to that, but the loss of Kelly was a big blow, 1,000 good paying blue collar jobs or so gone overnight. Lots of people, including my best friend in Elemen. school, moved away in the 3-4 years after the factor closed.

We kept corporate until about 10 years ago, when it finally was absorbed by Goodyear.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:10 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,739,613 times
Quote:
The Ramada is the oldest hotel in town.
Can't be nearly as bad as the Roadway Inn motel in LaVale. I know from personal experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland