Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 08:30 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times

Advertisements

Youth football teams banned from Carroll County league right before playoffs: Is it racism? - Baltimore Sun

I have absolutely no first-hand knowledge of this situation, so I can't say whether or not racism is involved. Of course, there could be other explanations too; maybe there were some "behavioral concerns" (as alluded to in the article), or maybe the Reisterstown teams were playing too aggressively for their age groups, or maybe there were issues with unsportsmanlike conduct (by players and/or parents), or maybe the Carroll folks just thought that there wasn't enough room in their league for additional teams. Who knows?

It's telling that the vote to exclude them was unanimous. Something caused not a few, not some, not even most, but all 10 teams to want to ban the Reisterstown Mustangs from playing with them. Unless we are to assume that the totality of Carroll County football teams are overwhelmingly racist, this indicates to me that there might be some other explanation. And yet, "racism" is the charge that some of the Reisterstown parents have latched on to. I guess, when you're holding the race card, it's awfully hard to resist playing it.

And I have a question that wasn't addressed by the article: why are teams from Reisterstown -- which is in Baltimore County -- playing in a Carroll County league?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 09:28 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Youth football teams banned from Carroll County league right before playoffs: Is it racism? - Baltimore Sun

I have absolutely no first-hand knowledge of this situation, so I can't say whether or not racism is involved. Of course, there could be other explanations too; maybe there were some "behavioral concerns" (as alluded to in the article), or maybe the Reisterstown teams were playing too aggressively for their age groups, or maybe there were issues with unsportsmanlike conduct (by players and/or parents), or maybe the Carroll folks just thought that there wasn't enough room in their league for additional teams. Who knows?

It's telling that the vote to exclude them was unanimous. Something caused not a few, not some, not even most, but all 10 teams to want to ban the Reisterstown Mustangs from playing with them. Unless we are to assume that the totality of Carroll County football teams are overwhelmingly racist, this indicates to me that there might be some other explanation. And yet, "racism" is the charge that some of the Reisterstown parents have latched on to. I guess, when you're holding the race card, it's awfully hard to resist playing it.

And I have a question that wasn't addressed by the article: why are teams from Reisterstown -- which is in Baltimore County -- playing in a Carroll County league?
I saw another article because the Baltimore Sun feels its journalism is worth paying for. I disagree. But I digress.

Quote:
"The Reisterstown program was admitted to the league this year on a probationary basis with a decision regarding their ongoing status to be made by the members at the conclusion of the season. Per the leagues by-laws, new organizations can be barred from further participation at the discretion of the Board of Directors and this action can be taken at any time. There have been several behavioral concerns involving this program during the season and tension related to how these occurrences were handled has been rising. Emotions tend to run high during playoffs, therefore, the league elected not to risk the safety of the participants and in an attempt to promote a safe conclusion to the season, the league’s programs voted to remove the Reisterstown program at the end of the regular season and prior to the playoffs."
https://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/...team-sidelined

I think it is racism. The trigger words are there:

behavioral concerns
safety

Black children have always been seen as older than they are, more aggressive than they are, and more dangerous than they are. Behavioral concerns is nothing but a codeword.

The statement also reveals this cultural fear of black children with no basis in that fear. BUt cultural conditioning is strong in this country. Unfortunately, kids suffer.

Put simply, the CCYFCL didn't feel safe. So, they acted out of fear. Kids suffer. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:24 AM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I saw another article because the Baltimore Sun feels its journalism is worth paying for. I disagree. But I digress.

behavioral concerns
safety

Black children have always been seen as older than they are, more aggressive than they are, and more dangerous than they are. Behavioral concerns is nothing but a codeword.

The statement also reveals this cultural fear of black children with no basis in that fear. BUt cultural conditioning is strong in this country. Unfortunately, kids suffer.

Put simply, the CCYFCL didn't feel safe. So, they acted out of fear. Kids suffer. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Quite a read in there. Teams, as well as individuals, have been excluded here in Calvert in the past. Those individuals included both parents and coaches, both Black and White.

I can read into it just like you do. The league decided that the behavior of the coaches was unacceptable.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:07 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
There is a WIDE range of time, energy, and enthusiasm put into youth football from Pee Wee all the way through high school. It sounds to me like these Reisterstown teams are much better on the field than their opponents, and in football that nearly always translates to being more physical, more ferocious, and being way more intense than their opponents.

Not everyone wants that in youth football, as a first year team they were given a chance and the other teams have decided this team is not a good fit. It happens.

Up my way, Fort Hill is down to 3 local opponents...........nobody else will play them. Race has nothing to do with it, other teams just don't spend nearly the time and energy on the sport as Fort Hill, and as a result, get the living snot beat out of them. I will argue that finding out you are outclassed at some things in life is a valuable lesson..........but when their is a real, literal, risk of serious and permanent injury by playing teams coached to inflict as much punishment as possible on you, probably better to find new opponents.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:41 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:

'It is an independent league with teams from several counties. It is not run by Carroll County Rec Dept.' Acoording to WBAL-TV last night.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:05 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
I don't know how anyone can form an opinion on whether this was racism or not without understanding exactly what happened. If the team was admitted under a probational year and there were "behavioral concerns" (whatever that means) as well as all 10 teams voting this way maybe there was a reason.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:13 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post

LOL, of course you do.Surprising.

I don't see it,I wasn't there .
Could it be,it's possible, I don't know I was not there

.............and neither was anyone on this thread,not there,you can't know.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:26 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:

Some people see RACISM in EVERYTHING?

As they say, "those that make the charge are USUALLY the ones GUILTY of the charge"!

Old 11-04-2018, 03:02 AM

542 posts, read 1,499,252 times
Had the rec league been more direct and forthcoming to dissuade any notions of discrimination instead of being evasive, it would've put them in a better light in the public eye and cleared up any misunderstandings. As it is, their actions makes them look suspicious and guilty.

I do find it interesting though how they declined to comment and deleted their Facebook page -- the only thing they provided as a very vague and flimsily ambiguous statement that proves essentially nothing -- yet they're given the benefit of doubt. But one of the victims of this incident -- who can recall her and her team of children being called racial slurs while on the field and who were kicked out of the league with no prior warning and were told of their removal at literally the last moment -- are overlooked and accused of "throwing the race card" or "seeing racism in everything" by some.

I have little to no reason to doubt any of what the Reisterstown team experienced considering the deceitful nature of the rec league and Carroll County's history of racial animosity, particularly over the past decade or so. I love visiting the area, but I've experienced deliberate profiling and racial issues myself and amongst my colleagues a few times when I've been there. I also vividly remember there being an increased presence of Confederate flags during that period a few years back when they were being removed from the public. Most of this I experienced in the county center of Westminster. These incidents are certainly not indicative of the entire population of Carroll County -- most of my experiences have been wonderful -- but enough has occurred to conclude that there is an undercurrent of racial resentment that exists, among other things, amongst the populace if you aren't white.

The rec league's thinly-veiled attempt to malign black youth -- something we in general all too willing to quickly succumb to -- with accusations of "behavioral concerns" and "emotions running high" is hypocritical considering that they went behind the team's back with no warning beforehand and voted them out of the league right before the postseason started, then attempted to hide their hands. It sounds like the Reisterstown team did nothing wrong, at least nothing out of the ordinary that the Carroll County teams got away with, other than being "different" and, arguably worse from their point of view, being too good, since they were undefeated. That only exacerbated things, in my opinion.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:37 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Had the rec league been more direct and forthcoming to dissuade any notions of discrimination instead of being evasive, it would've put them in a better light in the public eye and cleared up any misunderstandings. As it is, their actions makes them look suspicious and guilty.

I do find it interesting though how they declined to comment and deleted their Facebook page -- the only thing they provided as a very vague and flimsily ambiguous statement that proves essentially nothing -- yet they're given the benefit of doubt. But one of the victims of this incident -- who can recall her and her team of children being called racial slurs while on the field and who were kicked out of the league with no prior warning and were told of their removal at literally the last moment -- are overlooked and accused of "throwing the race card" or "seeing racism in everything" by some.

I have little to no reason to doubt any of what the Reisterstown team experienced considering the deceitful nature of the rec league and Carroll County's history of racial animosity, particularly over the past decade or so. I love visiting the area, but I've experienced deliberate profiling and racial issues myself and amongst my colleagues a few times when I've been there. I also vividly remember there being an increased presence of Confederate flags during that period a few years back when they were being removed from the public. Most of this I experienced in the county center of Westminster. These incidents are certainly not indicative of the entire population of Carroll County -- most of my experiences have been wonderful -- but enough has occurred to conclude that there is an undercurrent of racial resentment that exists, among other things, amongst the populace if you aren't white.

The rec league's thinly-veiled attempt to malign black youth -- something we in general all too willing to quickly succumb to -- with accusations of "behavioral concerns" and "emotions running high" is hypocritical considering that they went behind the team's back with no warning beforehand and voted them out of the league right before the postseason started, then attempted to hide their hands. It sounds like the Reisterstown team did nothing wrong, at least nothing out of the ordinary that the Carroll County teams got away with, other than being "different" and, arguably worse from their point of view, being too good, since they were undefeated. That only exacerbated things, in my opinion.

"in my opinion" which is the ONLY thing I read in your post with not a single FACT to back any of it up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland