Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 04:40 PM

9 posts, read 41,074 times

Advertisements

We are a military family moving to the area in August. We have a 17 year old daughter moving with us and looking at local community colleges. Both PGCC and CSM have the two year pre nursing program that transfers later to a four year university. Any one have any personal experience on either campus? We are thinking of renting a home in the Waldorf area. Any advice? We are currently living in CA so all of this is having to be done long distance. Thanks, The Carmicals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 08:23 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,270 times
My suggestion is although she's only 17, think about what college you want her to attend. I believe Montgomery Community College has a relationship with College Park, in College Park has a program that if you have a certain GPA, they will take you. I *think* UMBC has that relationship with Howard Community College.

Not too sure about those particular community colleges, although PG County has a reputation for being rough.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:12 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,715 times
Pg community college is located in a nice area. Do not judge an entire area base upon a small portion of the county. Someone I knew back in in High school served 4 yrs for raping a female at Montgomery college so I guess every area can be consider tough.

College Park is located in Pg county so I wold guess Pg community college have some kind of relationship with College park since they are both located in the same county. Waldorf is closer to Pg community college.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:49 PM

692 posts, read 1,731,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmical View Post
We are a military family moving to the area in August. We have a 17 year old daughter moving with us and looking at local community colleges. Both PGCC and CSM have the two year pre nursing program that transfers later to a four year university. Any one have any personal experience on either campus? We are thinking of renting a home in the Waldorf area. Any advice? We are currently living in CA so all of this is having to be done long distance. Thanks, The Carmicals
Several of my friends from high school attended PGCC before transfering to 4 year schools. It is a diverse campus and a good school.

Prospective Students

Nursing: Registered Nurse Option

Health Science Clinical Programs

Popular Pages

Old 04-07-2008, 11:05 PM

I believe PGCC has a relationship with several schools in the University System of Maryland, including UMCP.

University of Maryland - Maryland Transfer Advantage Program (http://www.uga.umd.edu/admissions/apply/MarylandTransferAdvantage.asp - broken link)

New UM Program Opens Doors for Local Community College Students :: University Communications Newsdesk, University of Maryland

University System of Maryland

Prince George's Community College (PGCC) UMUC Alliance Fact Sheet - Maryland Community College Students - UMUC

Old 04-07-2008, 11:07 PM

Schools in the University System of Maryland:

USM Institutions - USM

University System of Maryland Home - USM

Old 04-08-2008, 06:54 AM

460 posts, read 1,876,587 times
Both schools are good (PGCC and MC). My aunt used to be the dean of the nursing program at PGCC decades ago. I'm sure it is still very good. I know that MC has an extremely competitive nursing program. So does Frederick Comm College where I am in the program. You need a 3.7 at MC to even be considered for clinicals and there are only so many spots. Also, many places (i.e., community colleges) will let you participate in clinicals there only if you live in that county - for example my advisor told me that no one living outside of Frederick COunty has been accepted to FCC clinicals since he has been there and he's been there for a LONG time. I have a feeling its like that everywhere in Maryland with nursing. So make sure your daughter is on top of her classes, wherever she ends up, from the get go.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:00 AM

350 posts, read 1,645,670 times
I went to PG, as did my mother (who works there), and my 2 brothers- who have all transferred to UMD. It's a good school, but if she's going to transfer, make sure that she checks to see what classes will transfer over before she enrolls. Every community college has some classes that don't transfer. The area around PG is not as nice as some of the other ccs in MD- and the traffic can be a pain in the butt, but it is a large campus and has a lot of ammenities, and I never felt unsafe there- of course, this was in the late 90s. I'd take a tour of each campus and see what you like best.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:21 AM

9 posts, read 41,074 times
Thanks for the info.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:24 AM

315 posts, read 1,300,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmical View Post
Anne Arundel Community College is a great school with a well respected nursing program. They have a transfer program with the U 0f MD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland