Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 05:19 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
HATED it! Not so much the seasons but the endless overcast days. Even in summer. You basically get 2 months of clear skies, October and February. The rest of the year is full of cloudy overcast days with glimpse of the sun. Never again.
Maryland is not that bad when it comes to having blue skies. You obviously have never lived in NE Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 12:32 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9999 View Post
I live near Annapolis and I think we nice mix of seasons. I understand the weather is not the same across the state so I'm basing my opinion on my area. No season is too long or brutal like other places.
April/May = Amazing.

June = Depends on the day, early June is fine.

July/August = "I want outta here!" aka "time to move to Maine (and then never do)".

September = Depends on the day. With seasonal lag the early half can still be brutal sometimes.

October/November = Simply Divine. This is the best part of Maryland weather.

December = Pretty good too, but it isn't that last week of October or 1st week of November.

January/February/March = Bundle up, but tolerable.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:35 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,008,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful19 View Post
Thank you for your responses... I just wasn't feeling it for Maryland, I am now looking at going back to Virginia. Here are the towns I'm looking at are Radford, Salem, Staunton, Waynesboro, Williamsburg and Winchester. I've lived in Va Beach and Chesapeake. Just want a smaller town with less traffic. I am a 58 yr old single white female, if that help!

I hope this is the right thread to be in! Thanks in advance for any replies. Gina
your not going to find much difference in temperature by moving north or south a couple hundred miles unless there's a big elevation change. Small town, less traffic, any of those you named would be good for you.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:39 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,008,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
HATED it! Not so much the seasons but the endless overcast days. Even in summer. You basically get 2 months of clear skies, October and February. The rest of the year is full of cloudy overcast days with glimpse of the sun. Never again.
simply not true....

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...e-by-month.php

Old 06-19-2019, 01:40 PM

439 posts, read 425,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
April/May = Amazing.

July/August = "I want outta here!" aka "time to move to Maine (and then never do)".

September = Depends on the day. With seasonal lag the early half can still be brutal sometimes.

December = Pretty good too, but it isn't that last week of October or 1st week of November.

Perfect description. I haven't been to all of the places mentioned but a few hundred miles doesn't really make a tremendous difference. We have friends in Williamsburg and the only thing I can add is Spring usually arrives a few weeks early.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:38 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,963,265 times
Quote:
April/May = Amazing.

Exactly!

As a regular cyclist I always get a kick out of people making a 40 degree day seem almost unbearable to cycle in. The summer is what's unbearable! And we have three months of this horrible weather to go

Last week after Monday through Friday was great. I noticed the change on Saturday around 2 PM. Saturday night was still decent though.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:40 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,963,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Read the thread.

Old 06-23-2019, 03:47 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful19 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm at a loss!! I've been researching the best places to live in Maryland with the least natural disasters, specifically flooding.

I currently live in NC, but we have tornadoes, hurricanes, floods etc.,.the summers are extremely hot!! Winters not to bad. But im tired of worrying to death when we have a tornado warning. I'm originally from Maine, so you can imagine the snow we got..but no way am going back there.

Anyways, can someone please tell me where it typically doesn't flood in Maryland? In a safe affordable area...
Maryland was listed as one of the safest from natural disasters. But as I started doing some research, I saw the massive flooding in Ellicott City and Baltimore. And got discouraged!!

Any information will be so appreciated.

Gina ☺
Like anything real estate related, it's very location specific. The flooding in Ellicott City was specifically in downtown/main street. I'm 6 miles away and there was no flooding. Now, we also had record rainfall last year, so sure, some people in low lying places may have had some leaks in their basement, etc.

As for the weather - I think if you are a fan of the 4 seasons, MD is a great place. I personally would prefer dryer weather. Having spent my childhood in tropical weather, I'm very much done with the humidity. I'll take Arizona/SoCal like weather over what we have. But that's just me.

As a golfer, I rather play in the 120* AZ heat than the 90* heat/humidity here in the area. Both extremes suck - but I guess I prefer to be baked than steamed... I feel the dryer weather is more bearable as you can find some relief in the shade.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:13 PM

148 posts, read 242,625 times
Quote:
April/May = Amazing.

Spot on except, Jan- Mar. my skin dries so much it gets painful and itchy. Really want to head South during that time. Used to never be a problem, now Psorisis flares up.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:18 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
Having grown up in NE Ohio (Canton area), I can relate to the comparison between the Great Lakes area to Maryland and the Seattle area to eastern Washington state.

Washington state has a high amount of annual rainfall, yet eastern Washington state has low humidity. In between the area are high mountains that cause rain to fall as the air rises to pass over the mountains. By the time the air moves to the lower areas to the east it has dried out. Something similar happens to Maryland. The areas around the Great Lakes are very flat. The humidity that comes off the lakes spreads out over the region. Living in this region can often feel like you are living in a swamp. When this swampy air moves toward Maryland, it has to climb over the much smaller mountain ranges of the Appalachians. It less a lot of the humidity in the air when it does this, but not on the scale of the Mountains in Washington state.

In the last few days I have been noticing that smaller rain events have been heading our way from the GL region, but the rain never seemed to make it here. The heat was here, but with just a slight breeze, it didn’t seem all that oppressive. The humidity can’t be that bad here when I have to keep watering the zoysia plugs I have in the back yard. Zoysia is supposed to be drought tolerant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland