Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 12:23 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

My daughter has a job offer at St. Mary's college. She will of course make her own decisions,but I am curious what people think of the college and the area. I find a mix of reviews about the college. The area seems quiet, and primarily recreational. Surprisingly expensive rentals. I cannot find a whole lot of discussion about the City or the county.

What is there to do there?

Is it generally safe/low crime?

Pretty?

College reviews range form a place for pot smoking hippy wannabes o a solid liberal arts college for middle class kids form the Maryland/DC area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 04:31 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Safe how? Most crime is what you'll find in most rural areas across the country: some vandalism, some bar fights, that sort of thing. The vast majority of serious crime is further north in St. Mary's County at Lexington Park. NAS PAX is located a few miles away.

Where she's going is rural with all that entails. Farming and working the water are the local jobs with mile of corn fields to be seen. Many residents will drive to PAX for work with some going to DC.

Did I mention that it's rural?

Old 04-10-2019, 06:33 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldjensens View Post
...a place for pot smoking hippy wannabes
or a solid liberal arts college for middle class kids
or?

Old 04-10-2019, 06:42 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
or?
+1

Old 04-11-2019, 06:47 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My daughter has a job offer at St. Mary's college. She will of course make her own decisions,but I am curious what people think of the college and the area. I find a mix of reviews about the college. The area seems quiet, and primarily recreational. Surprisingly expensive rentals. I cannot find a whole lot of discussion about the City or the county.

What is there to do there?

Is it generally safe/low crime?

Pretty?

College reviews range form a place for pot smoking hippy wannabes o a solid liberal arts college for middle class kids form the Maryland/DC area.
Seems like you should let your Daughter make the call , not you , you seem bias.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:47 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Seems like you should let your Daughter make the call , not you , you seem bias.
Please try reading again. That is exactly what i already said. It is her call, I will not even contribute in all likelihood, however if she accepts I will likely help her in sorting out where to live. However I am concerned for her well being so I am curious. I like to know what she is getting into. then if necessary I can encourage her or suggest things (like get a big dog, or a gun, or a roomate(s), or don't ride your bicycle to work, or whatever). Or I can buy her a gift like a kayak if that would be practical to use there, or a big TV if it is a totally boring place. Etc.

I have no bias one way or anther. I just see what is written on the internet. That is why I am asking here, I thought some of the review comments were a bit weird and lacking in credibility, particularly the one on Urban dictionary. However there are a number of them in that vein.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:33 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
The college is in a very pretty setting, one of the most beautiful in all of St. Mary's County, IMO. However, as mentioned above, it's a very rural area; if your daughter is looking for urban amenities and nightlife, she needs to look elsewhere.

I'm no expert, but the area around the college certainly doesn't seem unsafe. However, a few miles to the north sits Lexington Park, which is not the safest or most pleasant of areas. I'm not aware of any major issues with spillover crime or anything; I mention this just so you'll know to advise your daughter to keep her wits about her if she chooses to spend time there. Shopping and dining, what there is of it, is concentrated in a community called California, located a little to the north of Lexington Park.

If she doesn't want to live near the college itself, I would recommend looking in Leonardtown, which is a straight shot down Route 5 to the college. Traffic on that route isn't bad; certainly nothing at all like the daily drudgery of Route 235 from California down to Lexington Park. Great Mills is closer (the western edge of it abuts Route 5), but it's not as nice, IMO.

If she wants to get by without a car, it's technically possible; St. Mary's County does have a bus system. However, the main routes only run every hour; minor ones only every other hour. The main transfer hub is in Lexington Park, but the transfers are timed, so one doesn't have to hang out there too long to catch a connecting bus. In general, the service is punctual. The route that serves the college is the No. 7 - Southern Route.

http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/docs...les%202017.pdf

Old 04-11-2019, 04:19 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Please try reading again. That is exactly what i already said. It is her call, I will not even contribute in all likelihood, however if she accepts I will likely help her in sorting out where to live. However I am concerned for her well being so I am curious. I like to know what she is getting into. then if necessary I can encourage her or suggest things (like get a big dog, or a gun, or a roomate(s), or don't ride your bicycle to work, or whatever). Or I can buy her a gift like a kayak if that would be practical to use there, or a big TV if it is a totally boring place. Etc.

I have no bias one way or anther. I just see what is written on the internet. That is why I am asking here, I thought some of the review comments were a bit weird and lacking in credibility, particularly the one on Urban dictionary. However there are a number of them in that vein.
"Pot smoking Hippie wanna be's"

...............nope no bias here.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:00 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
If she's outdoorsy a kayak would be good. My daughter and son in law *** on the Potomac and both have sea kayaks. The college has, or used to have, a small fleet of sailboats. I'd get the kayak here.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:37 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
"Pot smoking Hippie wanna be's"

...............nope no bias here.
Why are you ragging on the OP? He didn't say that the college was populated by pot smoking hippie wannabes; he said that he had read on the Internet that the college was populated by pot smoking hippie wannabes. Given that he doesn't live around here, how would he know otherwise, unless he were to come on here and ask people who might be in a position to know?

And after all, isn't that the entire point of this website? For people to get answers to their questions about other places?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland