Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 09:04 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
But it would be at least 3 new bridges. I'll go out on a limb and say 'Not going to happen'
You are probably right. But any discussion about the costs of the various build and no-build options needs to factor in the economic impact of the cruise lines in Baltimore, and whether or not they will be able to continue operating here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 04:33 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
You are probably right. But any discussion about the costs of the various build and no-build options needs to factor in the economic impact of the cruise lines in Baltimore, and whether or not they will be able to continue operating here.
I’ve taken six cruises out of Baltimore, and soon a seventh. I follow a lot of forums that deal with cruising. The only way cruising will stop being popular out of Baltimore would be for the whole industry to take a severe hit.

There are a lot of people who keep taking the same itinerary over and over because they like cruising out of Baltimore rather than flying to another port.

I doubt they even took the cruise industry into consideration for the current study. If they had they would have probably had the option of raising the current height of the bridges. But put a serious proposal on the board for building a terminal south of the Bay Bridge and watch Baltimore start screaming for height adjustments to the current bridges.

If the bridges were raised, then you could start looking at the Delaware canal and how that might be configured to allow larger ships through. Lots of opportunities for cruises out of Philadelphia, NYC and Boston to stop by whatever port is in Maryland on their way to the Caribbean or Bahamas, so people can visit DC, Annapolis, and, if they ever let the police get control of Baltimore, even there.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:51 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Clearly... the solution is to build a cruise ship dock SOUTH of the Bay Bridge(s).
I bet the folks in Annapolis will love it.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Clearly... the solution is to build a cruise ship dock SOUTH of the Bay Bridge(s).
I bet the folks in Annapolis will love it.
Anywhere you build it, you have to allow for ample parking. That should be a parking garage as opposed to a flat impervious surface. The further from the shoreline the easier it would be to get approval, which means a way to move people and luggage would have to be in the mix. The actual pier area should be made to look innocuous when there are no ships in port, in order to try and maintain the nature of the bay as it is now.

It would be tough to get some of the people who think they own the bay to go along with it, no matter how it blends into the way the bay is now. Even if it would triple the amount of revenues the state would get from it. I would guess that it would do more than triple it over time.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Anywhere you build it...
In that case the only practical answer is to build smaller cruise ships.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
In that case the only practical answer is to build smaller cruise ships.
There’s plenty of them already out there. Unfortunately, they are owned by companies that charge 2x minimum per person to get on them. That’s more than the cruise lines most of us can afford. Probably have a loyal following among those in the 5% or above.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
There’s plenty of them already out there.
Good then... problem solved.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Good then... problem solved.
Taken out of context, yes. I am happy for you if you think so.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Taken out of context, yes. I am happy for you if you think so.
Making life better for the vacation cruising community (owners or customers) is not any sort of reason
for undertaking (with taxpayer funds mind you) the reconstruction of three existing bridges or over-designing a fourth.
Is there some other detail that was missed?

Anecdote:
Rather than leaving a fifteen year old troublemaker home alone... my folks dragged me along on a cruise.
We drove up to New York to get on the ship because there weren't any cruise ships leaving B'more then.
The old MS Rotterdam at 200ft wouldn't have fit under the bridges either.

The girl I met onboard and I had enough Heineken to last a lifetime.
On the whole we got along rather well and had a grand time but never felt inclined to go again.

Last edited by MrRational; 09-09-2019 at 10:25 AM..

Old 09-09-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Making life better for the vacation cruising community (owners or customers) is not any sort of reason
for undertaking (with taxpayer funds mind you) the reconstruction of three existing bridges or over-designing a fourth.
Is there some other detail that was missed?.
Yes, the part about economic activity. Tell it to the Miami people that the cruise port there does nothing for them and they should just shut it down.

So you went on one cruise when you were a kid and you base your familiarity with the market on that? Do you golf? Do think golf courses are a waste of acreage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland